Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My understanding of MIM is that there are good MIM parts and bad MIM parts. The good ones work well enough and seem to last, but they don't tune as well and what tuning they will take won't last. A trigger job won't last on good MIM parts like it will on good steel parts. Bad MIM parts are more prone to fail. Like CM said, for most shooters that put 500 rounds a year through a gun will not care, nor will they see issues with MIM parts. Folks that run a gun hard will appreciate the difference though.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Just for discussion sake what makes a pre MIM gun better than a MIM gun?
    Other than political opinions and subjective looks what makes a pre- lock gun better or sweeter than a no lock gun?

Not trying to troll the CZ thread just curious where some of these opinions are based.

OK maybe I'm trolling a little bit:draw:

:D

What CM said about the MIM. You can't tune a MIM gun for the most part. Pick up a new MIM and an older S&W and shoot them side by side, I am willing to bet you can tell the difference in the feel of the gun right away. Sometimes if you are lucky you can get a MIM gun that the parts just fit together well. wtburnette has a SR1911 like that. I had to have CM replace parts and tune my SR1911 to get that feel on mine. So if you are lucky a MIM will feel OK to start with or if you are real lucky it will feel great. Chances are you are going to want a better trigger. And you can't tune the MIM parts.

As for the pre locks. To start with pre lock is the first clue to a more desirable gun, a prior to 2000 mostly. MIM parts were being used as early as 1997 but it varies by model. More desirable as in wanted features by collectors such as pinned barrel etc. Now the deal crusher. The lock can engage all on its own. This is a known problem. S&W maintains that it is not a design flaw. Mostly if not exclusively happened with lightweight frames and magnum loads. Which lends credence to the feeling that if you are going to shoot really hot loads, buy a Ruger. And the last two reasons, who wants a stinking hole in the side of their frame? S&W sold their souls when they started this nonsense. Rumors are they; S&W are considering getting rid of this nuisance, but that is absolute rumor as I have never seen any statement as such directly from S&W. I have never personally anyone one on planet earth that actually used the internal lock on a S&W (Heck I will bet 99% of S&W owners have no idea where the key is). It is just something not needed that can fail. NO THANKS (I say that and yet I have several S&W wheel guns with the lock :dunno:)

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Mine mine mine........all mine. Parts will be here 1st of next week.....Muwahahahaha

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s/397019-springfield-armory-champion-r-o.html

I should have this in hand shortly...

1911SC-1sm_zpsvo5k0a6s.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom