Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I am going to have to make some serious decisions here soon. I may have to get down to three or four handguns to make this all work.

That is a big decision. On the bright side, your guns are well known to the community here and should command a premium if sold. If you do decide to sell any of them, hopefully, they just rotate through the local community and eventually end up back in your collection some day.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    That is a big decision. On the bright side, your guns are well known to the community here and should command a premium if sold. If you do decide to sell any of them, hopefully, they just rotate through the local community and eventually end up back in your collection some day.

That is a happy thought.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    yes, and if there's another stampede on AR's we'll all wish we had ordered 10 of them.
    I hope that doesn't happen, but I think it's a definite possibility.

I'm with you. Hope it does not happen, but with the renewed talk of AWB's by the media, it could trigger another rush. Now might be a good time to pick up a cheap stripped lower just in case. If there is a run on ARs, the AR parts availability will usually lag the AR run.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Open my long gun cabinet and it is all "Black" in there.
    Well, mostly..........:):

I understand the fascination, I just don't participate. Well, other than just for my one AR. I like it and it's fun to shoot, but I don't belong to any ranges where I can shoot it, so it's pointless aside from for home defense, or for SHTF. I occasionally go with IGM to his range, or someone else to theirs, but otherwise it just sits in my safe... :(

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I understand the fascination, I just don't participate. Well, other than just for my one AR. I like it and it's fun to shoot, but I don't belong to any ranges where I can shoot it, so it's pointless aside from for home defense, or for SHTF. I occasionally go with IGM to his range, or someone else to theirs, but otherwise it just sits in my safe... :(

It's not a great solution, but you can shoot the AR at Point Blank. If nothing else, it helps keep you fresh on the manual of arms. I do wish there was a place in central Indy that would allow a bit more free form shooting of ARs. There's a place up north, but that's a bit of a drive and I don't think I'd be able to make it up there enough to justify the membership costs. In the mean time, I get what practice I can with the AR out at MCFG after sticking a .22lr conversion kit in. It's not great, but it's something.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Parts will ALWAYS be around. They may run out of stock at some point, but that'll just be due to supply/demand for a short period. They'll always come back to having stock as soon as the rush is over.

What you need is receivers. Those are what may be effected. You may not always be able to buy a receiver to build, or at some point, they may be "pre and post" ban. For example, you may be able to buy a receiver, but maybe you might not be able to build it with a collapsible stock, pistol grip, or other "scary" parts. If that's the case, you'll wish you had thrown 5 of those previously cheap "pre-ban" receivers in your safe when they were under $50. Pre-ban receivers will demand a premium if any bans happen.

Stock up on receivers. Throw them in the back of your safe and forget they're there. They're cheap and readily available. Hell, go on slickguns.com and find a 3 pack. Buy a few. I think I got my last 3 pack of Aero Precision lowers for $45 each after transfer fees.

I'm with you. Hope it does not happen, but with the renewed talk of AWB's by the media, it could trigger another rush. Now might be a good time to pick up a cheap stripped lower just in case. If there is a run on ARs, the AR parts availability will usually lag the AR run.

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County

Likewise. I have a couple nice piston-driven ARs that have each been shot once to function test and zero in the sights, and that's it. They are super smooth shooters, but I have a Henry in 357 that is so much more fun to me than the AR platform.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Parts will ALWAYS be around. They may run out of stock at some point, but that'll just be due to supply/demand for a short period. They'll always come back to having stock as soon as the rush is over.

What you need is receivers. Those are what may be effected. You may not always be able to buy a receiver to build, or at some point, they may be "pre and post" ban. For example, you may be able to buy a receiver, but maybe you might not be able to build it with a collapsible stock, pistol grip, or other "scary" parts. If that's the case, you'll wish you had thrown 5 of those previously cheap "pre-ban" receivers in your safe when they were under $50. Pre-ban receivers will demand a premium if any bans happen.

Stock up on receivers. Throw them in the back of your safe and forget they're there. They're cheap and readily available. Hell, go on slickguns.com and find a 3 pack. Buy a few. I think I got my last 3 pack of Aero Precision lowers for $45 each after transfer fees.

That's really good advice. I'll take a look at doing just that.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It's not a great solution, but you can shoot the AR at Point Blank. If nothing else, it helps keep you fresh on the manual of arms. I do wish there was a place in central Indy that would allow a bit more free form shooting of ARs. There's a place up north, but that's a bit of a drive and I don't think I'd be able to make it up there enough to justify the membership costs. In the mean time, I get what practice I can with the AR out at MCFG after sticking a .22lr conversion kit in. It's not great, but it's something.

Yeah, I've shot mine at PB a couple times and at BGF before that, just don't find it that much fun. Either way, I have my one AR and I'm happy with it :D

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    M1A :p no more ARs for me. Never enjoyed shooting mine, sure it was "cool" but was strictly a SHTF weapon for me. If I'm going to have rifle for SHTF then I'm going to enjoy shooting it, until it needs to be put to work.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    An M1a certainly makes the list of acceptable options. Clearly Glock is not on that list. Hi-Point and Taurus also do not make the list. In a classy thread such as this, I assumed that was understood. I will be more clear in the future.....My bad.

:popcorn:

Unless it's a glock, then it's just not right! Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks. :lmfao:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes, I didn't mean that you, as a respectable INGO member, were free to run anything you pleased. An M1a certainly makes the list of tolerable options. Clearly Glock is not on that list. Hi-Point and Taurus also do not make the list.
    Unless it's a comped hi point with a laser/ light combo and maybe a red dot.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I still enjoy my ARs. I like shooting an M1 Carbine more, but the AR is a lot of fun too. I need to add an AR pistol as well as dipping a toe in the NFA world by building a suppressed SBR for home defense.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom