Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Im baffled as to this NYT obsession. Find me a source on the subject you trust and we can use it.

My questions are all about the actual story/events. Im trying to understand the Trump push behind it.

You want us to find another source to prove your claims/suspicions? I don't think that's how this works.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's not his word against the nyt, it's his word against fellow seals.

But it also sounds like you're saying if done agaisnt isis, it can't, by definition, be wrong?

Yes, I will absolutely own that statement. Show me an Isis member that doesn't believe in jihad and change my mind. That's why war in this region has gone on forever. They understand one thing, and one thing only. Absolute and total destruction of one's enemies. Until we adopt those same strategies, then this crap will go on forever. So we either need to commit, or get out and let them continue doing what they've been doing for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You want us to find another source to prove your claims/suspicions? I don't think that's how this works.

No I want any source about what happened that won't get bogged down by its banner. I dont care about the source, I'm trying to figure out why multiple seals and the navy would team up to take down one of their own, then one would flip in court when immunity is granted. It's a bizarre story im trying to learn more about.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yes, I will absolutely own that statement. Show me an Isis member that doesn't believe in jihad and change my mind. That's why war in this region has gone on forever. They understand one thing, and one thing only. Absolute and total destruction of one's enemies. Until we adopt those same strategies, then this crap will go on forever. So we either need to commit, or get out and let them continue doing what they've been doing for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Maybe he needs to see some videos of them having toddlers kick around American's heads after they beheaded them?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Im baffled as to this NYT obsession. Find me a source on the subject you trust and we can use it.

My questions are all about the actual story/events. Im trying to understand the Trump push behind it.

You're not listening. People are trying to tell you that nothing that appears in the NYT can be considered the actual story/events

The name Dean Baquet hasn't been in any reporting you've read? The 1619 project seems like fact to you?

Puh-leeze

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Via email from Chet we have Progressives Gone Wild:

… a growing trend in Seattle: municipal employees increasingly seeing their work as part of a broader agenda of radical social change. Over the past five years, the City of Seattle has rapidly added personnel under the auspices of “diversity, equity, and inclusion.” Christopher Peguero, for example, manager of the equity program at Seattle City Light, views his role as much more than providing reliable electricity to utility customers. As Peguero explained in a recent interview on the City of Seattle blog, public utilities can be instrumental in the fight against white supremacy. “Race is most central to addressing institutional oppression since it is central to historical inequity in the United States,” he says. “I feel that an inclusive model is the only way that we will ever reach collective liberation from institutional oppression.”

There are several more examples but I particularly like this one:
    The Seattle Public Schools’ Ethnic Studies Task Force has launched a new math curriculum based on the idea that the “Western” model of instruction has “[disenfranchised] people and communities of color” and legitimized “systems that contribute to poverty and slave labor.” To fight this injustice, the task force argues, schools must transition “from individualistic to collectivist thinking” and implement a new math curriculum that will “liberate people and communities of color.”
    This is like something out of Atlas Shrugged or “The Crazy Years” as described in some of Robert Heinlein’s books. Stuff that was just too crazy to actually ever be real. But as I’ve heard people say before, “Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.”

I could never have even imagined this | The View From North Central Idaho

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The Seattle Public Schools’ Ethnic Studies Task Force has launched a new math curriculum based on the idea that the “Western” model of instruction has “[disenfranchised] people and communities of color” and legitimized “systems that contribute to poverty and slave labor.” To fight this injustice, the task force argues, schools must transition “from individualistic to collectivist thinking” and implement a new math curriculum that will “liberate people and communities of color.”
    This is like something out of Atlas Shrugged or “The Crazy Years” as described in some of Robert Heinlein’s books. Stuff that was just too crazy to actually ever be real. But as I’ve heard people say before, “Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.”

So in the near future... one plus one equals... and nobody knows. But they are all equally stupid so it's all good.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's not his word against the nyt, it's his word against fellow seals.

But it also sounds like you're saying if done agaisnt isis, it can't, by definition, be wrong?

Not sure about that. It seems there is conflicting information and at this point I don't conclude anything, but I suspect some things are true. It sounds like his Seal teammates thought he was dangerous and unnecessarily violent. What his teammates thought of him carries considerable weight. On the other hand, he was acquitted of all charges except for the inappropriate photos. The latter kinda says all that's needed on the man's character. As far as why Trump got involved, I really don't know.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    … a growing trend in Seattle: municipal employees increasingly seeing their work as part of a broader agenda of radical social change. Over the past five years, the City of Seattle has rapidly added personnel under the auspices of “diversity, equity, and inclusion.” Christopher Peguero, for example, manager of the equity program at Seattle City Light, views his role as much more than providing reliable electricity to utility customers. As Peguero explained in a recent interview on the City of Seattle blog, public utilities can be instrumental in the fight against white supremacy. “Race is most central to addressing institutional oppression since it is central to historical inequity in the United States,” he says. “I feel that an inclusive model is the only way that we will ever reach collective liberation from institutional oppression.”

As long as the local citizenry pays for this they can increase the bureaucratic bloat exponentially. They will end up like New York in the 70s.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

This is part of the reason so many families are turning to home schooling.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/the-weekly/eddie-gallagher-navy-seal.html

This whole Edward Gallagher thing confuses me. It looks like the nytimes released the interviews with fellow seal team 7 members and it looks pretty damning on the face of it. I would also think the navy would be hesitant to try their own for war crimes. What am I missing here that Trump seems to know? Is it that no matter what anyone on the US side does, they should never be tried for war crimes? Is it that Gallagher didn't do/wasn't who his fellow seals said he was? Their testimony was influenced/ coerced to serve some nefarious end?
    It seems like Gallagher was a psychopath with a license to kill on the face of it. What's this deep state conspiracy against him I've not seen elaborated yet?

Apropos of nothing, but an interesting side note. Gallagher is a Hoosier native. He's from Fort Wayne and graduated from Bishop Dwenger High School.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm inclined to take the word of an alleged "psychopathic killer" (your words, not mine) than a known pathological liar (the NYT). I'd tend to believe that he was decorated for doing his duty, part, if not most of which, included killing the enemy. I don't much care how he did it or if he did it. Doing that was his duty, and that appears to be what he did.

And what about the word of the other SEALs that pointed the finger at the guy? From them it seems that the guy was a sadist. Take the killing of the ISIS fighter, the other SEALs say that he killed him with a knife. Gallagher sent a picture of the dead fighter to a friend, with the caption "Got him with my hunting knife." That's factual. At trial, one of the SEALs recanted, and said that he suffocated him. So originally, he is accused of killing a ISIS fighter with a knife, he sends a picture of the fighter implying he killed him with a knife, at trial one of the accusers says he suffocated the fighter. C'mon guys, I really don't see how so many of ya'll are willing to think this was all on the up and up. I'm certainly more inclined to believe Gallagher killed the fighter, than not.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Meeting sadism with sadism rarely wins anything, but more enemies. The reason why we're the United States of America, is because we are above such things.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    And what about the word of the other SEALs that pointed the finger at the guy? From them it seems that the guy was a sadist. Take the killing of the ISIS fighter, the other SEALs say that he killed him with a knife. Gallagher sent a picture of the dead fighter to a friend, with the caption "Got him with my hunting knife." That's factual. At trial, one of the SEALs recanted, and said that he suffocated him. So originally, he is accused of killing a ISIS fighter with a knife, he sends a picture of the fighter implying he killed him with a knife, at trial one of the accusers says he suffocated the fighter. C'mon guys, I really don't see how so many of ya'll are willing to think this was all on the up and up. I'm certainly more inclined to believe Gallagher killed the fighter, than not.
    I don't know what the truth is, but that Navy Times article definitely muddies the waters. Seems there is basically no proof of most anything. I'm sure we will never know what happened.

Why would you be "inclined" to believe he murdered the wounded guy? Sounds like he just as likely suffocated from wounds in combat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom