• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That doesn't add up. Either CU put the presidency up for sale or it didn't. If it did, Clinton should have won. Super PACs spent $204.4 million for her, compared to $79.3 million for Trump. Overall $1.4B was spent on her compared to $957.6 M for Trump.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Already accomplished.

It's called Citizen's United

Alpo, you are regularly pumped up about a SCOTUS decision that most Americans do not even know exists, you bring it up a lot. What about that decision do you find so wrong as to bring it up so often over other decisions that most Americans feel affect them more directly?

I seriously am interested in understanding what about this issue brings it to the forefront of your mind? As you know I agree with this decision but never understood what grassroots level folks hated about it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That doesn't add up. Either CU put the presidency up for sale or it didn't. If it did, Clinton should have won. Super PACs spent $204.4 million for her, compared to $79.3 million for Trump. Overall $1.4B was spent on her compared to $957.6 M for Trump.

Lipstick on a pig. At some point no amount of money is enough to accomplish a makeover if the raw material is horrible enough (See:Ghostbusters remake)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Historically, corporations had limited lives....at least at the time our Constitution was written. A corporation is not a person...and yes I've heard all the arguments I need to about that a corporation is comprised of people.

A corporation is not a human. It is not a citizen. It requires no passport for crossing borders. It does not die for its country. In today's multinational environment, it really doesn't have a country. It shouldn't be able to vote or avoid campaign spending limits imposed upon individuals.

SuperPacs spent over $2 billion on the 2016 elections. There is a great deal of data on election spending available. What I've gleaned from the data is that in most cases (over 80%), those who spend the most, win the election.

Most importantly, corporation spending buys congressional and adminstration influence.

Eliminate it. Period.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lipstick on a pig. At some point no amount of money is enough to accomplish a makeover if the raw material is horrible enough (See:Ghostbusters remake)
    Sure. Even politics has to obey the law of diminishing returns. Hillary lost because of Hillary’s negatives and not a lot else. She ***damn sure didn’t lose because she didn’t have enough money pumped into her campaign.

That election was hers to lose. So much so that “Hillary” should be the new word for messing up a sure thing. Because she sure did hillary up that election. And it looks like Biden hillary’d up the primay. He was supposed to be the obvious one to face Trump. He just couldn’t stop himself from saying really cringey grampa ****. Turns out, most people think that saying he enjoyed young black kids feeling the hair on his legs, isn’t very presidential no matter how much money is pumped into his campaign.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Historically, corporations had limited lives....at least at the time our Constitution was written. A corporation is not a person...and yes I've heard all the arguments I need to about that a corporation is comprised of people.

A corporation is not a human. It is not a citizen. It requires no passport for crossing borders. It does not die for its country. In today's multinational environment, it really doesn't have a country. It shouldn't be able to vote or avoid campaign spending limits imposed upon individuals.

SuperPacs spent over $2 billion on the 2016 elections. There is a great deal of data on election spending available. What I've gleaned from the data is that in most cases (over 80%), those who spend the most, win the election.

Most importantly, corporation spending buys congressional and adminstration influence.

Eliminate it. Period.

Citizens United was the corrective pendulum swing to the right in reaction to the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act. Those who don't like it would do well to be more devoted to strict Constitutionalists filling SCOTUS vacancies instead of feeling like only that decision was somehow a distortion of the pristine fairness that held sway prior to the decision

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Eliminate it. Period.

Thanks, I wrestle with the whole corporate news world we live in and why they get speech that another corporation does not? That was an affect of the law that did not seem equitable to me, restricting political speech of some, not others, in the final days of a campaign.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, come on. I answered a question. I'm not going to spend time debating all prior legislation and court rulings.

I will allow it, it would be kind of like trying to parse who is entitled to the holy land beyond who has possession and the strength to make it stick - an exercize in futility

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Eliminate it. Period.

A lot of that corporate money along with foreign cash goes into dc via the ubiquitous law/lobby firms often made up of former players in government. It's helped make dc the richest place on earth, so unless that gets closed down somehow or exposed and regulated the behind the scenes bribery will continue.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Citizens United was the corrective pendulum swing to the right in reaction to the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act. Those who don't like it would do well to be more devoted to strict Constitutionalists filling SCOTUS vacancies instead of feeling like only that decision was somehow a distortion of the pristine fairness that held sway prior to the decision
    What came before it only serves as the context for what prompted it, and not that it was justified. Two things can be true at the same time. The conditions that brought it about can be ****ty, and the remedy can be ****ty. It’s an example of how the rule of people subverts the rule of law.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What came before it only serves as the context for what prompted it, and not that it was justified. Two things can be true at the same time. The conditions that brought it about can be ****ty, and the remedy can be ****ty. It’s an example of how the rule of people subverts the rule of law.

Odd, I don't remember saying it (CU) was justified. I merely stipulated that poltics is not immune from Newton's third

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom