The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Numbers I pulled up in a cursory internet search

Stalin responsible for 20-25 million deaths. The Gulag, work camps and re-education camps, starvation used as a weapon.

Hitler responsible for 11 million deaths, including 5-6 million jews. Concentration camps and industrialized murder.

Bernie Sanders responsible for 0 known deaths, no known innovations in repression

Arthur Jones responsible for 0 known deaths, no known innovations in mass murder

I have no qualms characterizing peeps as neo-whatever, admit that we should not allow past evils to again take root - but as you said in an earlier post, Nazi is in danger of going the way of racist and becoming a term devoid of its true meaning.

See: soup nazi, grammer nazi etc etc

Cue the argument that the internet numbers about how many each killed are wrong in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Sanders and Jones are responsible for zero deaths, as far as we know. That’s true. But let’s think about it in terms of possible futures. If either one could create the government they want, could that government do the deeds of Stalin or Hitler? Of course that’s not a sure thing. But it is more possible if they implement their ideological systems, than to stay with the enlightenment principles which have produced the freest societies for individuals ever.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    For someone who complains that people often mischaracterize what you're saying, you persist in mischaracterizing what I am saying :)

I am in no way arguing in favor of the election of Jones, nor do I seek to excuse the ideas he may hold. ANP, neo-nazi, WS sure, I'll support any of those labels for him. Nazi is different in meaning and degree and should not be diluted. The over use of the term in my mind is analogous to calling the Las Vegas concert shootings a holocaust, an extreme watering down of a term that should have only one very specific meaning

The best way I can characterize my opinion of the argument is still it is confusing satanism and Satan, it is moral relativism at its worst

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    [video=youtube;_qULXpV9CWI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qULXpV9CWI[/video]

"Senator Schumer is calling for that (the parade) to happen as soon as combat operations are over."
    :dunno:

My earlier thoughts:

Kinda torn on the idea... while it would look cool, this just isn't something we do in America, just to do it. We celebrate soldiers coming home with a parade, but as an expression of military might? I don't dig the idea.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For someone who complains that people often mischaracterize what you're saying, you persist in mischaracterizing what I am saying :)

I am in no way arguing in favor of the election of Jones, nor do I seek to excuse the ideas he may hold. ANP, neo-nazi, WS sure, I'll support any of those labels for him. Nazi is different in meaning and degree and should not be diluted. The over use of the term in my mind is analogous to calling the Las Vegas concert shootings a holocaust, an extreme watering down of a term that should have only one very specific meaning

The best way I can characterize my opinion of the argument is still it is confusing satanism and Satan, it is moral relativism at its worst

Well, now hold on. Certainly I did not take the time to make it clear, but I am adding to what you're saying, about a very narrow part of what you said. I never had any thought that you were justifying Jones. I was just taking an idea further. Separate that from the rest and see if what you think I said makes any sense. That would be how I meant for my post to be taken.

And I think I do need to apologize for that. I'm sorry, it's just how I tend to post. Something I read triggers a thought and I have to explore that thought, and I often explore those kinds of thoughts by writing about them. I often don't know where they'll go until I've written it out. Often when I do that with Alpo, for example, he thinks I'm attacking him. All I did with his "Nazi" post was explore his thought to its logical conclusion. That's essentially what I did with yours, except in this case it was tangentially to your point.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    "Senator Schumer is calling for that (the parade) to happen as soon as combat operations are over."

My earlier thoughts:

I am kind of torn as well....The only thing I am thinking could be reasoning is as a show of might to our potential enemies and a show of resolve and means to our allies...Like you I WANT to see it...I just don't think my "that would be cool factor" trumps how the MSM and Trump's enemies could potentially play it....The thought of listening to talking heads compare us to Russia and North Korea would kind of rain on what would be a beautiful parade...I suppose I could hit the mute button.....

I literally change my mind a couple times a day about this........

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

My earlier thoughts:

Yeah, I think Schumer and Trump are talking about different types of parades. Schumer wants a dog and pony show. Trump wants a donkey show.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

My earlier thoughts:

I'm not torn on the idea at all. It's not something we do. It's not something we need to do. We don't need to project our military might in goose-stepping parades at home like some small-dick dictator stuffing socks in his underware to project a bigger manhood than he has.

A parade to honor the people who risked their lives is appropriate. That's not a projection. It's a welcome home for people who served, and a gesture of honor to those who didn't come home.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I am kind of torn as well....The only thing I am thinking could be reasoning is as a show of might to our potential enemies and a show of resolve and means to our allies...Like you I WANT to see it...I just don't think my "that would be cool factor" trumps how the MSM and Trump's enemies could potentially play it....The thought of listening to talking heads compare us to Russia and North Korea would kind of rain on what would be a beautiful parade...I suppose I could hit the mute button.....

I literally change my mind a couple times a day about this........

I'm agin' it. We don't have to demonstrate our might. We dropped the MFOAB, that's all anyone needs to know. Put that money toward the deficit or something more worthwhile.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, I think Schumer and Trump are talking about different types of parades. Schumer wants a dog and pony show. Trump wants a donkey show.

A donkey would be for the wrong reasons. If it's a parade to celebrate the end of hostilities, to honor those who served and those who didn't make it back, I think that's a good reason for a parade. It's not fake, in other words.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A donkey would be for the wrong reasons. If it's a parade to celebrate the end of hostilities, to honor those who served and those who didn't make it back, I think that's a good reason for a parade. It's not fake, in other words.

Great...Now I am back to "nay"...I wish I could see a preview of sorts to decide if the "cool" factor outweighs the "cringe" factor....

I have a feeling I would watch this like Kut would......

"Man the optics on this are so bad....HOLY **** LOOK AT THOSE TANKS!!!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!! USA!!!!!! But I can't help but think this is just not us...It's just not something we should.....Oh man...Check out those big freaking GUNS!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!!! USA!!!!!!!"

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I hate dog and pony shows, but they have their purpose. It's good for the peeps back home, and it can give Joe a warm and fuzzy. I can see a purpose in the dog and pony show parade.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Great...Now I am back to "nay"...I wish I could see a preview of sorts to decide if the "cool" factor outweighs the "cringe" factor....

"Man the optics on this are so bad....HOLY **** LOOK AT THOSE TANKS!!!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!! USA!!!!!! But I can't help but think this is just not us...It's just not something we should.....Oh man...Check out those big freaking GUNS!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!!! USA!!!!!!!"

Just look across the river and watch the air show coming up. Nothing is cooler than the planes.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Just look across the river and watch the air show coming up. Nothing is cooler than the planes.

True that....Derby....Fast horses and faster Jets....The day before Thunder we usually sit some chairs out in front of the shop and watch some nice practice runs and the planes coming in.....We'll be sitting here in the shop and all of a sudden your heart will start pounding and we all look up and run outside as a bad a** jet comes flying over making your chest hurt from either pride or just the sound....

[video=youtube;wiuutSNuNww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiuutSNuNww[/video]

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    True that....Derby....Fast horses and faster Jets....The day before Thunder we usually sit some chairs out in front of the shop and watch some nice practice runs and the planes coming in.....We'll be sitting here in the shop and all of a sudden your heart will start pounding and we all look up and run outside as a bad a** jet comes flying over making your chest hurt from either pride or just the sound....

[video=youtube;C5qOSnmXBZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5qOSnmXBZY[/video]

I got stuck on the I65 bridge once during the Blue Angels' routine. For once, I didn't mind a traffic jam.

If you vacation in Pensacola, you get the normal ocean stuff, plus the Naval Aviation Museum. And Monday through Wednesday you can watch air shows every morning as they rehearse for the weekend.

There is nothing quite like the sight and sound of 60,000 lbs. of aluminum being tortured into an aerial ballet. A breathtaking display performed at an eye-watering pace by the most sophisticated instruments of carnage ever conceived.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Well, the Hayek pics are great but the recent semantic stuff is just a bunch of mental masturbatory self-gratification and aggrandizement.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not torn on the idea at all. It's not something we do. It's not something we need to do. We don't need to project our military might in goose-stepping parades at home like some small-dick dictator stuffing socks in his underware to project a bigger manhood than he has.

A parade to honor the people who risked their lives is appropriate. That's not a projection. It's a welcome home for people who served, and a gesture of honor to those who didn't come home.

They have air shows. Why not have tank shows for that. People who geek out on military hardware can then geek out on that.

I think the bold text quoted is a pretty good reason not to have military parades. It's what the dicktaters do. Instead, act like you've been in the end-zone before.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom