The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Welcome Amazon.

I can’t think of a better way to communicate to large companies that a city doesn’t want you there. That if you’re there, leave. If you’re thinking of moving there, find somewhere else.

Not that I’m a big fan of Amazon or Starbucks, but they’re right to push back. The tax was colossally stupid thing to try and showed their utter ignorance about market based economies. Seattle’s problem is a first world problem of not knowing what to do about extreme prosperity.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, infrastructure was previously mentioned.
    But, the tax wasn't supposed to be for infrastructure. It was specifically supposed to be for the homeless.
    I wonder what percentage of the money would have actually made it to the homeless.
    After the .gov got their "cut".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The president on his pledge to bring home the remains of Korean War Vets, and some of his "inspiration."

“One of the things that really I’m happy is that the soldiers that died in Korea, their remains are going to be coming back home,” Trump said. “And we have thousands of people that have asked for that — thousands and thousands of people.”
    “So many people asked when I was on the campaign,” Trump said. “I’d say, ‘wait a minute, I don’t have any relationship’ — but they said, ‘when you can, president, we’d love our son to be brought back home’ — you know, the remains.”

Uhhhh..... :scratch:

Kut (is sure this will go over a few heads)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The president on his pledge to bring home the remains of Korean War Vets, and some of his "inspiration."

Uhhhh..... :scratch:

Kut (is sure this will go over a few heads)

Or. You could just say what you’re saying clearly. What’s the purpose of communication? Is it self serving? It ls it tacitly communicative? Does obfuscative language really get people to think deeper about what you’re saying? What will people actually think you’re saying?

jamil (knows this didn’t go over your head)

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44505448

Chinese media have mocked US President Donald Trump over plans to impose 25% tariffs on $50bn worth of Chinese goods, saying "wise men build bridges but fools build walls".

I guess this must be the Great Bridge of China
    The-Great-Wall-of-China.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Or. You could just say what you’re saying clearly. What’s the purpose of communication? Is it self serving? It ls it tacitly communicative? Does obfuscative language really get people to think deeper about what you’re saying? What will people actually think you’re saying?

The average age of a Korean War vet is 87. And if we're generous and assume that most of their parents were 17 when they had them, that would place the average age of their parents at around 104. 102 if where talking about when Trump was on the campaign trail. So it idea a bunch of Centenarians, who had children killed in the Korean War, are of sound mind to remember, still mobile, with access to a presidential candidate, and are Donald Trump supporters is dubious. Very dubious.
    The purpose of communication, shouldn't be to mislead others.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    There are lots of family members of Korean War Veterans that are not parents of the remains over there. Mostly children and grandchildren I bet. I think it is a very honorable thing to do to bring them home for the family members as well as being a long held military tradition.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The average age of a Korean War vet is 87. And if we're generous and assume that most of their parents were 17 when they had them, that would place the average age of their parents at around 104. 102 if where talking about when Trump was on the campaign trail. So it idea a bunch of Centenarians, who had children killed in the Korean War, are of sound mind to remember, still mobile, with access to a presidential candidate, and are Donald Trump supporters is dubious. Very dubious.
    The purpose of communication, shouldn't be to mislead others.

Of course my point was about the “over their heads” malarkey.

But about Trump’s statement. Why attribute to malice that which can easily be explained by incompetence? I took it that he did his usual embelshing, and either didn’t think about the timing, or mixed up parents for kids.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

And miss the sheer pleasure of talking down to people? Me thinks not.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    And miss the sheer pleasure of talking down to people? Me thinks not.
    Yeah, but don't forget that if you're intentionally vague you can say things without directly saying them. So when you get called out it's easier to feign indignity and claim that you never actually said that, so you can play the victim.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom