The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    [h=1]Local soybean farmers don’t blame tariffs for low prices[/h]
    https://www.fauquier.com/news/local...cle_9841c6a4-45a3-11e9-a7c8-4f0ec37b5500.html

In the article the farmer states “Prices were lower last year and last year was lower than the year before. The prices were low with Obama.” yet the Obama years were by far the best for soybean prices. Is anyone really going to argue the largest soybean importer putting a 25% tariff on our soybean exports isn't hurting the price?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In Coats case, it was due to his public disagreements and contradictions of Trump. He already has Coats' replacement lined up.

Dan Coats Out As Top Intelligence Chief After Series Of Public Clashes With Trump

Contradictions are either/or perspectives. I think it's a fair question ask as to whether it is appropriate for an administration official to contradict the president if what the official is saying is the truth? Shouldn't a president want to hear the truth even if he doesn't like what it is? And it seems in a number of instances admin officials relay the information as they know it, and it's the president who contradicts them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    good morning

EApQSnTXsAEHIwc

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Tariffs and bailouts, the free market at work.

These particular markets haven't been free in a long time with US industry, especially those in steel and manufacturing, getting the short end of the stick for decades.

In the article the farmer states “Prices were lower last year and last year was lower than the year before. The prices were low with Obama.” yet the Obama years were by far the best for soybean prices. Is anyone really going to argue the largest soybean importer putting a 25% tariff on our soybean exports isn't hurting the price?

The prices were low well before tariffs were in place. Soybean prices are volatile and in part based on speculation so of course the price is depressed in the short term. With growing conditions this year, I expect consumers who are not farmers will be complaining for the opposite reason this fall at harvest time.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    These particular markets haven't been free in a long time with US industry, especially those in steel and manufacturing, getting the short end of the stick for decades.

The prices were low well before tariffs were in place. Soybean prices are volatile and in part based on speculation so of course the price is depressed in the short term. With growing conditions this year, I expect consumers who are not farmers will be complaining for the opposite reason this fall at harvest time.

None of that is mutually exclusive with a 25% tarif by the biggest importer hurting prices, I'm not sure why we aren't willing to cede that point here.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Chew on this one, INGO

You’re probably making incorrect assumptions about your opposing political party

Only 22 percent of U.S. adults are on Twitter, and 80 percent of the tweets come from 10 percent of users. If you rely on Twitter for political information, you are being informed by ersatz pundits residing within 2.2 percent of the population.

Makes you wonder if getting this stressed/anxious/angry/etc about political nonsense is worth it. The super-minority is the loudest noise you're hearing. Most people just don't care.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Chew on this one, INGO

You’re probably making incorrect assumptions about your opposing political party

Only 22 percent of U.S. adults are on Twitter, and 80 percent of the tweets come from 10 percent of users. If you rely on Twitter for political information, you are being informed by ersatz pundits residing within 2.2 percent of the population.

Makes you wonder if getting this stressed/anxious/angry/etc about political nonsense is worth it. The super-minority is the loudest noise you're hearing. Most people just don't care.

Yes and there are a LOT of people that vote like they just don’t care about America.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Chew on this one, INGO

Dude, I can clearly recall you extolling Twitter's virtue as some kind of real time news feed not that long ago (certainly within the last two years)

Now an early adopter is going to lecture us on how it isn't all of that? The stalls are empty, the position of the barn door is no longer matters. Personally, not on Twitter or Facetube. Relying on either for factual information is like shouting questions in a bar

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dude, I can clearly recall you extolling Twitter's virtue as some kind of real time news feed not that long ago (certainly within the last two years)

Now an early adopter is going to lecture us on how it isn't all of that? The stalls are empty, the position of the barn door is no longer matters. Personally, not on Twitter or Facetube. Relying on either for factual information is like shouting questions in a bar

The way I use it is a bit different than what I think the article is implying. I'm also very aware that what I see on the internets is not representative of the real world. Twitter is just a bubble with very, very solidly formed echo chambers. I've got a few list-made chambers I stick with, too, and I'm aware of it.

Just have to know where to look for "good" info, or learn it over time. I've no issues dropping big names from my feed because I find their stuff to be either regularly inaccurate, or just outright sensationalist nonsense.

Twitter is good if you create your own feed of reliable sources.

The article is more, I think, about those singular journalists or pundits that use Twitter to get their views out there, and end up (whether intended or not) representing their "party" or "label".

Like catching a fly-by Vox journo tweet and thinking that's how all "left-leaning" people think.

Edit: Also... the back-and-forths on Twitter are just so fake. Like bored people trying to spice up their day by slinging ****. Seeing a prominent game developer shine a light on an account arguing with him... the account was made this month, with ~10 tweets and <6 followers. Why do it? Why waste your time? Or anyone else's time?

Notable people need to stop interacting with nobodies.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    None of that is mutually exclusive with a 25% tarif by the biggest importer hurting prices, I'm not sure why we aren't willing to cede that point here.

Because your 'point' is like a mutual fund starting in 2009 and claiming nothing but positive returns, it ignores history

https://www.macrotrends.net/2531/soybean-prices-historical-chart-data
    Soybean Prices - 45 Year Historical Chart

View attachment 78832

If anything, soybean prices look like reversion to the mean after we no longer will 'fund' the elevated prices China was willing to pay with out trade deficit

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Straight from the horse's mouth
    https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-...give-developing-country-status-wto-despite-us

China will refuse to give up the “special and differential treatment” it enjoys as a developing nation at the World Trade Organisation, in a rebuke to a US proposal that would pare back the privileges China and other nations enjoy on trade.
    China is categorised as a developing country at the Geneva-based institution, which affords it “special and differential treatment”. This enables China to provide subsidies in agriculture and set higher barriers to market entry than more developed economies.
    The dispute reflects a fundamental divide within the WTO that has threatened the future of the global multilateral trading system.
    The United States has long complained that too many WTO members – about two-thirds – define themselves as developing countries to take advantage of the terms the status permits them to trade under.

US President Donald Trump has railed against the organisation, calling it “a catastrophe” and “a disaster”.
    However, countries such as China and India insist that the preferential treatment is an important cornerstone of the global trading system. Despite being the world’s second-largest economy and its biggest exporter, Beijing continues to label itself as “the world’s largest developing country”.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom