• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like many places, here in the woods we have an issue with yellow jackets summer and fall. The forest and even our yard collects these insect land mines which you usually aren't aware of until too late. The gardener and I have found a proactive plan that has worked well the last few years at reducing the problem at least around the house. During the spring you see the yellow jacket queens collecting nest material and food to start their demon brood. Both of us carry a can or Raid Wasp and Hornet and kill these things on sight while we are working in the yard, anywhere from 5-40 a day this time of year.

Later in the year you don't see the queen as the smaller workers are doing that job and you can't keep up killing them, but late spring, dead queen is dead nest. Finding an active nest in the woods without stepping on it if my SA is working well enough I'll mark it and return with a piece of fruit. Toss it close to the nest which will bring in a skunk/possum/raccoon that night, when the animal is done with the fruit it will dig up the nest and eat the larva.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll have to look around and see if I can spot any. I got tore up last fall mowing the grass several weeks in a row. I couldn't find the holes since there were so many in the yard, I didn't know which ones were the bees.

And this year will be worse with all the Cicada holes!

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I'm not sure that this is talking about the same yellow jackets, but might be helpful to someone.

How to safely kill ALL of the Hornets (Yellow Jackets) for miles. Works for Wasps and Ants too.​

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Interested I hearing more. My wife is extremely allergic to all kinds of wasp/bee stings. Very painful and has to go get shots. So I’m all for getting rid of them around the house and barn!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm not home enough to monitor for the queens but I've left the skunks alone for many moons and they seem to be keeping us fairly clear around the house. They'll eat the black and white paper hornet nests too if they're close to the ground. They are probably full of cicadas currently, so the bees will get a pass until they brood X Boyz thin out.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm not sure that this is talking about the same yellow jackets, but might be helpful to someone.

How to safely kill ALL of the Hornets (Yellow Jackets) for miles. Works for Wasps and Ants too.​

Glad I did a search before making my own post.

Just ordered up some boric acid and a few of the fatal funnels.

The War of 2024 - Yellow Jackets has begun!

Last year I called my pest guy out after I got stung a few times while mowing the side of my dam.

Screenshot_20240711_221930_Chrome.jpg

Turns out the ground wasps were using the craw dad holes (easily have 100+) and making nests. After doing some research and buying my own chemicals, I won the War of 2023.

Screenshot_20240711_222419_Gallery.jpg

Just to by safe, I bought a bee suit to mow in.

Decided not to wear jeans when I mowed tonight, just shorts and the bee suit. Well, I hit a nest and got stung 6 times where my socks were (and the suit didn't cover) and had 3 of the F'rs stuck to me when I got back in the house. First nest of the year.

The War of 2024 has officially started! I couldn't find any activity when I went back out tonight, but I'll head out during the heat of the day tomorrow and hit it. Boric acid and the fatal funnel arrive Saturday, fingers crossed it works as expected.

If you've fought ground wasps and won, I'm welcome to any and all ideas.

We tried to fill in some of the craw dad holes and take them out last year...that was an epic failure.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Glad I did a search before making my own post.

Just ordered up some boric acid and a few of the fatal funnels.

The War of 2024 - Yellow Jackets has begun!

Last year I called my pest guy out after I got stung a few times while mowing the side of my dam.

View attachment 365355

Turns out the ground wasps were using the craw dad holes (easily have 100+) and making nests. After doing some research and buying my own chemicals, I won the War of 2023.

View attachment 365357

Just to by safe, I bought a bee suit to mow in.

Decided not to wear jeans when I mowed tonight, just shorts and the bee suit. Well, I hit a nest and got stung 6 times where my socks were (and the suit didn't cover) and had 3 of the F'rs stuck to me when I got back in the house. First nest of the year.

The War of 2024 has officially started! I couldn't find any activity when I went back out tonight, but I'll head out during the heat of the day tomorrow and hit it. Boric acid and the fatal funnel arrive Saturday, fingers crossed it works as expected.

If you've fought ground wasps and won, I'm welcome to any and all ideas.

We tried to fill in some of the craw dad holes and take them out last year...that was an epic failure.
    Couple of beers, starting fluid, and a lighter!

Top Bottom