• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Yesterday I took the plunge into the AR-15 world. Wal-Mart sold me a Diamond Back .223 for $750 + tax. Now I have added another type of ammo I must buy. So I want to sell one of these two guns and a pistol to reduce the different types of ammo I buy.

1. A Marlin 883ss, bolt action, chambered in .22WMR. and tube feed. Never has this gun failed me.
    2. A HK 416D semi-auto chambered in .22LR. I have 7 magazines, ranging from 10 to 30 rounds. Never has this gun failed me.
    Both guns are accurate at 100 yards but the Marlin is far more accurate.

Two very different guns and ammo. If you had to sell one, which one would it be?
    Every gun except one, (Viper .22lr) that I've sold brings me regret for selling it. The first gun I regret selling? my Remington nylon 66.

Any opinions would help ease my pain!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Now that you have the AR, I'd sell the .22 WMR.

It is indeed a niche round, but you can now cover that niche with the AR with light varmint bullets AND reach out 500 yards with heavier bullets (target shooting, not necessarily varminting)

Plus 22 WMR isn't much less expensive than 9mm these days. Kind of high to "plink" with, IMO.

Keep the .22 LR. Everyone needs a .22LR of some kind!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd also sell the 22mag. I had a very similar rifle to what you're talking about and I had to sell it at the time even though I regret it to this day. Those the 22mag does such a better job on groundhogs and stuff, but now you've got an AR for those guys. Everybody should have a decent 22lr rifle no matter what. There's no other caliber in the world that lets you shoot 500 rounds for $20. The 22lr is just too practical to not have one, and the 22mag isn't as cheap as it used to be.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    How do you use your rifles and what would be driving the "need" to sell?

While I generally feel that everybody should have a 22lr training rifle, there are a number of rifles in my "everybody-should-have" list and I understand that not everybody would want to follow the same or a similar list.

FWIW, I have seen 50rd boxes of 22WMR as low as $7.99/box if you are willing to move away from Maxi-Mags and such.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I just sold my .22 lr to make room for a .22 magnum.
    I needed something for fox and my .243 has too much oomph.
    Heck, a .223 tears up a coyote pretty good.

I don't hunt squirrels anymore (or target shoot) and if I did I'd use a pistol. So for me, a .22 rifle would just sit (and in the past they pretty much did).

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Would depend what your use of said guns are, as was mentioned. If I HAD to sell one, I'd sell the Marlin; then get a hold of me first because that sounds like a beaut :D.

Nah honestly, if you want a .22 trainer for the AR, keep the H&K and sell the Marlin. If you want an all around knock around gun, sell the H&K and keep the Marlin. If you ONLY wanted to reduce the number of calibers sitting around, sell the rifle that ISN"T chambered the same as the pistol you'd mentioned. My :twocents:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My advice is probably worth what you paid for it. But I'll say something anyway.

If you are selling because you need money, that's one thing.
    But to narrow down ammo selection. Unless you have a buttload of different ammo selections, I think it's good to have a selection.
    If this ammo shortage has taught anything, it should be that you may be SOL if you only have one cartridge, and you can't find any.
    Several types gives you the opprotunity to continue practicing. You can buy whatever cartridge is a better deal.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My advice is probably worth what you paid for it. But I'll say something anyway.

If you are selling because you need money, that's one thing.
    But to narrow down ammo selection. Unless you have a buttload of different ammo selections, I think it's good to have a selection.
    If this ammo shortage has taught anything, it should be that you may be SOL if you only have one cartridge, and you can't find any.
    Several types gives you the opprotunity to continue practicing. You can buy whatever cartridge is a better deal.

I agree.
    Quantity has a quality of it's own.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    ... Everybody should have a decent 22lr rifle no matter what. There's no other caliber in the world that lets you shoot 500 rounds for $20...

Not lately. Unless you have a secret source for affordable .22LR?

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Keep both. You wouldn't get a whole lot out of either gun, and nobody says you have to be stocking 5000 rounds for every gun you own. Use your 22 as an ad trainer, and keep your 22 mag around for when you have a hankering to shoot a bolt gun.

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    Keep both. You wouldn't get a whole lot out of either gun, and nobody says you have to be stocking 5000 rounds for every gun you own. Use your 22 as an ad trainer, and keep your 22 mag around for when you have a hankering to shoot a bolt gun.

I agree. Keep them both. I think I have only sold one gun my entire life but I keep adding to the collection. :):

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Every gun except one, (Viper .22lr) that I've sold brings me regret for selling it. The first gun I regret selling? my Remington nylon 66.

You've answered your own question ... avoid any regrets and don't sell unless you no longer like shooting the gun or it's a piece of junk. Every so often I dig deep into the gun safe and bring out something I haven't shot in years, make a trip to the range, and figure out if I still like the gun. Using this method, I haven't sold a gun in a long, long time ... I also don't buy a lot of guns, but I've managed to fill every corner in my safe and figure the next big purchase will be another gun safe and then start the process all over again.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Not lately. Unless you have a secret source for affordable .22LR?

In another month or two when ammo settles back down, that's when you start slowly buying the bricks when you come across them at walmart. After the '08 panic settled down that's what I started doing and I've barely put a dent in my 22lr stash. The only thing I can't replentish right now is the wolf match 22lr and that's just because I don't want to pay three times what it's worth. The prices will come back down and that's when to buy, not right now.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Yesterday I took the plunge into the AR-15 world. Wal-Mart sold me a Diamond Back .223 for $750 + tax. Now I have added another type of ammo I must buy. So I want to sell one of these two guns and a pistol to reduce the different types of ammo I buy.

1. A Marlin 883ss, bolt action, chambered in .22WMR. and tube feed. Never has this gun failed me.
    2. A HK 416D semi-auto chambered in .22LR. I have 7 magazines, ranging from 10 to 30 rounds. Never has this gun failed me.
    Both guns are accurate at 100 yards but the Marlin is far more accurate.

Two very different guns and ammo. If you had to sell one, which one would it be?

?.......How much?.......:dunno:

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Set up an ammo fund by putting all your pocket change in a jar or coffee can every night. Don't spend any change during the day. I wanted a S&W Model 39 back in the 70's and didn't have the spare cash to shell out at one time. In less than 6 months I saved enough pocket change to buy a like new 39.
    What kind of pistol do you have for sale? I got some coffee cans full of change that I call my Next Gun Fund. :rolleyes:

ngroark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Greensburg
    I asked a friend of mine how he felt about buying and selling guns.. he replied "I buy guns", I said "yes, I know. How do you feel about selling them?". He replied "I buy guns". Since then I mostly stick with his philosophy unless I have two of the same gun or loose interest in it (hasn't happened yet, do have some duplication though). Either way, my recommendation is to work some extra hours and keep'em if you like them.

ngroark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Greensburg
    teddy12b 'In another month or two when ammo settles back down, that's when you start slowly buying the bricks when you come across them at walmart. After the '08 panic settled down that's what I started doing and I've barely put a dent in my 22lr stash. The only thing I can't replentish right now is the wolf match 22lr and that's just because I don't want to pay three times what it's worth. The prices will come back down and that's when to buy, not right now.'

reverend & hurumph!

Top Bottom