• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The whole issue of guilt aside, the reality is that the nation was pretty much bankrupt and the South was completely destroyed by the end of the Civil War. Thus, I fail to see how there was anyone that had actually managed to get rich from slavery in a way that is truly relevant to today. Whatever wealth that had been gained before the war was also expended during the war. The large family fortunes that still exist today came from the Industrial Revolution and later. Following the Civil War there was an expression in the South that explained all of the unpainted half-derelict buildings; "Too poor to paint, too proud to whitewash." That is the true financial legacy of slavery.

I should add that none of this should be construed as an argument that racism had no disparate impact, the simple inability to fully participate in the larger economy surely did effect black people besides all of the more obvious issues. I am simply pointing out that slavery itself didn't really provide a legacy of wealth to the descendants of slave owners.

I think what I am getting at is that attempting to calculate reparations based on slavery would not likely produce the results that some people think they would and are unlikely to have any real value other than symbolism. The best thing we can do is make sure that everyone can participate in society as fully as possible.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Methinks you are incorrect. There might have been more folks who would have listened to options re: reparations. I can tell you from personal experience that the riots and looting and painting "BLM" on the street (not to mention tearing down statues of presidents) in Washington has moved a lot of people into the

**** THEM, category.

No more. The programs that the government spent billions on didn't work or there wouldn't be protests today. So, let's stop spending the billions.

I'm over it.

I'm not alone.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Methinks you are incorrect. There might have been more folks who would have listened to options re: reparations. I can tell you from personal experience that the riots and looting and painting "BLM" on the street (not to mention tearing down statues of presidents) in Washington has moved a lot of people into the

**** THEM, category.

No more. The programs that the government spent billions on didn't work or there wouldn't be protests today. So, let's stop spending the billions.

I'm over it.

I'm not alone.

The problem is, if you're just vocally annoyed and continue to vote for the people that enable this kind of nonsense, what are you accomplishing?

Dems need their slap-in-the-face candidate, like Trump was to the GOP, but their nomination structure kind of makes that impossible.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Riiiiight... They're just concerned that they might be too hard for Trump... sure... seems legit. :rolleyes:

"History also gives him reason to be wary. Sitting presidents — among them, Jimmy Carter in 1980, Ronald Reagan in 1984 and Barack Obama in 2012 — often stumble in their first debates because they arrived both overconfident and out of practice."

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll be honest, I feel like that a bit... that November is in the bag for Trump... I can get this argument.

Though, lets wait for the debates

Tim Pool said:
    I think Trump is on track to lose in November

So many Trump supporters convinced they can't possibly lose, the polls are wrong again, etc etc

Look at the fervent masses out in the streets, people are going nuts, and with mail in voting I bet turnout skyrockets

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Either way by the time we get to election day big/social media will have this country as tensed as an archer at full draw. The energy that's going to be released will be bad news for a while. I'm planning on being well supplied to sit it out.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If mail in voting happens, China already pledged to put millions of fraudulent ballots into the system and try to wreck our system.

It will be the biggest political scandal in all US history and ignite another civil war. No one should allow mail in ballots to even be an option.
    Delay the election if necessary, but do not ruin public trust in our elections. Tensions are too tight in this country to handle that outcome.

Honestly, mail in ballots are the red line in the sand for me at this point.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Biden's puppet masters are positioning him to not debate. They know that there is no way he could possibly stay on the subject, much less contend with Trump.

Biden is talking executive order ordering all subjects to wear masks.

[video=youtube;fN9e0Vb1_u8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN9e0Vb1_u8[/video]

Watch how many times he messes with the mask and touches his face... :n00b:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Debates are rarely won. More often, they are lost.

I've said in the past that there is no upside to hear Joe speak. Let Trump talk as much as he wants.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'll be honest, I feel like that a bit... that November is in the bag for Trump... I can get this argument.

Though, lets wait for the debates

Before the riots I thought Trump had a lot of ways he could win. Now, I'm not so sure. Polls were showing that Trump was even making ground with the black community. Democrats were scared. Lot's of "walk away" talk. But the left has been able to use the death of George Floyd to consolidate some independents back to their side of it. And their base is WAY more excited than they were before. People I thought would never go woke are parroting BLM talking points without a critical look at it.

There's no way I'd predict either way. But I certainly have no confidence at the moment that Trump will win.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Debates are rarely won. More often, they are lost.

I've said in the past that there is no upside to hear Joe speak. Let Trump talk as much as he wants.

With these two particular candidates it's even worse. The one who talks most will sound the most like a blooming idiot. I think it's a lot easier to control Joe than it is to control Trump. So it'll be Trump who comes off as the idiot. Joe Biden's campaign would probably just as soon not have a debate. Probably same with Trump's campaign, at least the ones who aren't sycophants.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Either way by the time we get to election day big/social media will have this country as tensed as an archer at full draw. The energy that's going to be released will be bad news for a while. I'm planning on being well supplied to sit it out.

Amen.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Oprah as veep.
    Biden melts away.
    America has a new age nitwit gurusome member of the "Good Club" for president.
    No NO oh please somebody wake me up!!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What's the target audience of these polls?

Do you answer any unidentified numbers calling your phone?

Even if you did, in this climate would you divulge your true feelings to ANY random person calling? That would be a foolish breach of security wouldn't it? Could be anybody catfish calling? Could be ANTIFA, BLM, any other terrorist group? Russia, Russia, Russia? China, China, China?

What kind of list might you be on after passing along your support for the "wrong side"? Where might this list end up?

How many of us have a Trump/Pence 2020 yard sign out? Bad idea, right? Asking for some sort of drive by?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What's the target audience of these polls?

Do you answer any unidentified numbers calling your phone?

Even if you did, in this climate would you divulge your true feelings to ANY random person calling? That would be a foolish breach of security wouldn't it? Could be anybody catfish calling? Could be ANTIFA, BLM, any other terrorist group? Russia, Russia, Russia? China, China, China?

What kind of list might you be on after passing along your support for the "wrong side"? Where might this list end up?

How many of us have a Trump/Pence 2020 yard sign out? Bad idea, right? Asking for some sort of drive by?
    Is this the evidence for this great silent majority?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom