• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just do away with mail in voting, make election day an election week, 2 weeks, month, and allow absentee only if able to show one is out of town for the entire voting period.

That would work for me. no votes accepted after the close of the election period, no voter verification issues and we know who won within a day or two of the close of voting. Would have to be no purely electronic voting without paper trail and machines not even capable of connecting to the internet either wirelessly or via cabling

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I would say election day is election day and no exceptions except for those who request absentee ballots for good cause...like it was for several decades. If they want to open up earlier and close later, fine.

The only reason to allow any other form or voting is to get more people to vote who don't care that much about voting....and I don't care if those people don't vote.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I would say election day is election day and no exceptions except for those who request absentee ballots for good cause...like it was for several decades. If they want to open up earlier and close later, fine.

The only reason to allow any other form or voting is to get more people to vote who don't care that much about voting....and I don't care if those people don't vote.

I could go for that.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Doesn't the Constitution say in Article 2, Section 1, Clause 4:

Congress sets a national Election Day. Currently, electors are chosen on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November (the first Tuesday after November 1), in the year before the president's term is to expire.

It says "A national election day", not "days".

So how is early voting even legal? Anything before or after "election day" seems unconstitutional. Even absentee ballots cannot be counted until the day of the election.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Doesn't the Constitution say in Article 2, Section 1, Clause 4:

It says "A national election day", not "days".

So how is early voting even legal? Anything before or after "election day" seems unconstitutional. Even absentee ballots cannot be counted until the day of the election.

Fair question(s).

Simple answer is States' Rights.

Congress sets the election day, that is, the day by which the states have to have the votes in. The mechanisms necessary to achieve that are up to the states. Specifically, the states' legislatures.

The only thing I'm aware of that legitimately happens after election day would be the receipt of mailed in ballots. That's where postmarks become important. If the voter puts it in the mail before the election day, from their perspective, they've voted before election day.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have always felt having an election day wad voter suppression of blue collar workers especially those working shifts.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Fair question(s).

Simple answer is States' Rights.

Congress sets the election day, that is, the day by which the states have to have the votes in. The mechanisms necessary to achieve that are up to the states. Specifically, the states' legislatures.

The only thing I'm aware of that legitimately happens after election day would be the receipt of mailed in ballots. That's where postmarks become important. If the voter puts it in the mail before the election day, from their perspective, they've voted before election day.

But that same state legislature could use the interpretation your creditors do, if it doesn't arrive by election day, then it is (too) late. Nothing requires that votes received after the election day cut-off time must be allowed

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have always felt having an election day wad voter suppression of blue collar workers especially those working shifts.

Or it would add fuel to that fire, "we need a national holiday!" - which is still dumb because we know a major portion of the labor force works on holidays.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But that same state legislature could use the interpretation your creditors do, if it doesn't arrive by election day, then it is (too) late. Nothing requires that votes received after the election day cut-off time must be allowed

But what says they can't be allowed?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Hence the support for expanded in person early voting. But if the state gives you 4 weeks of time in which to vote, including some weekend hours, and you still can't arrange to get it done too bad. The voter has to do their part

Starting to work on the term paper the day before it is due has predictable results

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But what says they can't be allowed?

Nothing, as long as the legislature is the one that allows it. It is inadviseable because it is unneeded in light of extended early voting and opens the various interpretational cans of worms such as 'what if the postmark cannot be determined'

There really has to be a cut-off sometime, why not before the vote counting starts

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Nothing, as long as the legislature is the one that allows it. It is inadviseable because it is unneeded in light of extended early voting and opens the various interpretational cans of worms such as 'what if the postmark cannot be determined'

There really has to be a cut-off sometime, why not before the vote counting starts

But if you cut it off before the vote counting starts how would Democrats know how many votes they need to win? :D

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    This could be interesting. Of course some won't even watch it.

Votes can be changed electronically after scanning.

Ballots can be scanned and infinite amount of times (no serial numbers)

This isn't a counting machine, it's a cheating machine.

https://streamable.com/yzrypo

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    This could be interesting. Of course some won't even watch it.

Votes can be changed electronically after scanning.

Ballots can be scanned and infinite amount of times (no serial numbers)

This isn't a counting machine, it's a cheating machine.

https://streamable.com/yzrypo

I watched it, that was an eye opener. I didn't realize how easy it was to a change vote, add a vote for someone or just get rid of the vote using Dominion software.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I watched it, that was an eye opener. I didn't realize how easy it was to a change vote, add a vote for someone or just get rid of the vote using Dominion software.

Or disallow voting or a candidate. In a locked room after hours you could probably swing an election. Even one that wasn't close.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Or disallow voting or a candidate. In a locked room after hours you could probably swing an election. Even one that wasn't close.

I particularly liked how she scanned the same batch twice and software happily accepted them.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hence the support for expanded in person early voting. But if the state gives you 4 weeks of time in which to vote, including some weekend hours, and you still can't arrange to get it done too bad. The voter has to do their part

Starting to work on the term paper the day before it is due has predictable results

Right. Thats why I left the time frame kinda open.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just do away with mail in voting, make election day an election week, 2 weeks, month, and allow absentee only if able to show one is out of town for the entire voting period.

Same as (or very similar to) what I proposed; I agree completely.

Perhaps consider an "either/or" option: either 100% in-person voting, or 100% vote-by-mail. The states that have 100% VBM seem to have the necessary processes in place to make it work, so it's maybe worth considering. But, for maximum election integrity, I agree: make all voting in-person, on or before Election Day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom