The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    As exasperating as his style of debate can be I enjoy having someone on the other side to discuss things with. The ones that are normally here are so smug and condescending they actually annoy me more than he does.

I like having other opinions around as well. I don't like when they're expressed with nothing but vitriol and insults. What people don't understand is that every time they post like that all they do is further entrench people in their opinions. You want to convince others of something? Be thoughtful and reasoned, not hysterical and insulting.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I like having other opinions around as well. I don't like when they're expressed with nothing but vitriol and insults. What people don't understand is that every time they post like that all they do is further entrench people in their opinions. You want to convince others of something? Be thoughtful and reasoned, not hysterical and insulting.

There's a point where one might start considering the motives of such a person when the actions seem spiteful. I'm not going to discount that the person simply doesn't know how to engage people with an opposite world view, but I think how a person decides to go about it is a clue to the motivation. For example, if the person treats you with contempt, he probably has contempt for you. If the reason for the contempt is a misunderstanding, that might be resolved to a point.

I think that's what happened with D. At least in the UBC thread I think he finally started to understand some people on the opposite side, and he mellowed out more. At least a little. Saying you agree to disagree, agreeably, is a step in the right direction.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'd say that's BS. As a democratic society, we expect our CinC and military to conduct themselves within the rules of war... and win. Nothing about being a democracy means that our military is hamstrung by requiring strategy and tactics to be beamed to all corners of the world.

President Trump has done what no President has done for quite some time... announced the policy he wishes implemented, and allowed the military command structure to form the strategies and tactics. With his oversight, i.e. regular briefings, this is how it should be. As Sen Graham said, General Obama was the worst general we ever had.

ETA: This is why we've seen such accelerated success against ISIS. Trump's policy was crystal clear... do not let them escape, annihilate them... with RoE's to support that policy, see ISIS, kill ISIS.

YES, to ALL of THAT !!!!!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

As much as I agree with you, I don't have much success having reasonable and thoughful discussions with liberals. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I've really become a far-left crazy old redneck in my old age (if you knew my background you would honestly find that funny), but I find it almost impossible to have a reasonable discussion about anything to do with politics with a lefty these days. As reasonable as I might think I am, the other side invariably sees me as the extreme, even crazy, while the whole time I'm wondering how can they be so convinced of something so utterly absurd. They have become so extreme, it's just beyond reason to me.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

[FONT=&quot]hallucinations on the right

intentions to destroy America from the inside because he “hates” it. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The birther issue started by his opponent Hillary Clinton.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]President Obama was a Muslim sleeper cell from Kenya, or something like that. [/FONT]

Oh, good. I am glad someone finally told me that was all false.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As much as I agree with you, I don't have much success having reasonable and thoughful discussions with liberals. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I've really become a far-left crazy old redneck in my old age (if you knew my background you would honestly find that funny), but I find it almost impossible to have a reasonable discussion about anything to do with politics with a lefty these days. As reasonable as I might think I am, the other side invariably sees me as the extreme, even crazy, while the whole time I'm wondering how can they be so convinced of something so utterly absurd. They have become so extreme, it's just beyond reason to me.

It's been my experience that there has to be a common language. There has to be an honest effort on each side to try to understand the other. That's really hard to do.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I can not say I miss him, but he has gotten a tad easier to take. He will come back I am sure. He was coming around some on some things.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom