• ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Thanks for the info folks!
    What about late planting of those frost tolerant items like broccoli, peas and spinach? How late can you temp fate and sneak in a late harvest risking a hard freeze? What about other fall veggies? Onions?

I planted spinach in early September one year, then covered that raised bed with clear plastic when it got really cold. I harvested spinach all throughout the winter.

Also, I planted onions from seed, in July I think, last year. They were green bunching onions. They were still small at the end of the season, so I covered them with leaves over the winter. This spring I uncovered them and they grew fast. I had green onions to eat in late April.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I went out and took a few pictures while picking cucumbers, zucchini and cherry tomatoes in the garden. Also took a picture of a floral arrangement I made today from my flower beds, and thought I would share.

Tomatoes...I fasten the cages on either side of a fence panel to keep them staked up.

Tomatoes on one side and cucumbers on the other where they can vine up the fence panel.

Zucchini on one side and butternut squash on the other (again where they can vine up the fence panel).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Blah. Looks like one of the tomato plants succumbed to blossom rot...or something. I pulled and tossed it. All the rest seem to be doing okay though. Fingers crossed. Should be just another week before I start canning.

I think the onions are about ready for pulling. And the peppers are beyond productive. So are the eggplant. Everything else is going along just fine.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Blah. Looks like one of the tomato plants succumbed to blossom rot...or something. I pulled and tossed it. All the rest seem to be doing okay though. Fingers crossed. Should be just another week before I start canning.

I think the onions are about ready for pulling. And the peppers are beyond productive. So are the eggplant. Everything else is going along just fine.

A lot of people in our part of the state seem to be having their tomato plants die off. Mine are doing pretty well so far. I just hope we get some tomatoes. It's been so cool that the one larger tomato that did turn red had no flavor at all. My Brandywine are normally delicious!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've never planted saved seeds the same year. Will that work for this year's saved spinach seed from the spring planting?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got some green beans that I never found that are now huge and I'm thinking about just saving them for seeds. If it's not too late to try planting them I may just try that as well.

Our tomatoes have got some funky thing going on where the bottom of the tomato is rotting off. Not all the tomatoes are bad, but enough that we keep picking them and pitching them.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've got some green beans that I never found that are now huge and I'm thinking about just saving them for seeds. If it's not too late to try planting them I may just try that as well.

Our tomatoes have got some funky thing going on where the bottom of the tomato is rotting off. Not all the tomatoes are bad, but enough that we keep picking them and pitching them.

Do a little reading on blossom end rot on the tomatoes. Calcium deficiency will cause the bottom to rot like that.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Do a little reading on blossom end rot on the tomatoes. Calcium deficiency will cause the bottom to rot like that.

I had a neighbor warn us about calcium deficiency and said to put crushed egg shells all around the base of the plants. We did that and it looks like we still got the rot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had a neighbor warn us about calcium deficiency and said to put crushed egg shells all around the base of the plants. We did that and it looks like we still got the rot.
    Cause
    Calcium is required in relatively large concentrations for normal cell growth. When a rapidly growing fruit is deprived of calcium, the tissues break down, leaving the characteristic lesion at the blossom end. Blossom-end rot develops when the fruit's demand for calcium exceeds the supply in the soil. This may result from low calcium levels in the soil, drought stress, excessive soil moisture, and/or fluctuations due to rain or overwatering . These conditions reduce the uptake and movement of calcium into the plant, or rapid, vegetative growth due to excessive nitrogen fertilization.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2000082444023571.html

I think some of this goes back to our cool nights also, adding more stress. In years that I've had end rot, it pointed to a lack of moisture during peak fruit development time.

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Another thing that causes blossom end-rot is uneven watering. If the soil isn't kept moist, then no matter how much calcium there is in the soil, it isn't available to the plant. That's one of the reasons that it often happens with potted tomato plants.

Funny thing is, I'm having an over-all very good year with my tomatoes, with very little blight. Haven't sprayed at all yet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ruh Roh

20140806_142424_zps0enrxvvf.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    IMG_6533.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Two double rows of White Half-Runners

IMG_6536.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Lots of little beans almost ready to pick, again.

IMG_6528.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Put in a row of Quinoa next to the corn. First time I've grown it.

Top Bottom