• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I was raised to respect all elder women as my mother, so yes...... She was my mother.

Lots of people were raised in a barn, and conduct themselves in public like it was a barnyard. The [STRIKE]lady[/STRIKE] mean bitter old female was no threat, and a citizen to boot. Go ahead and charge her with whatever you think will stick, No need to shout, grab, push or twist. It was an authority thing and that's that. I am sure that his mother is proud.

FTFY

If someone does not act like a lady, they should not expect to be treated as such. Neither her age nor genitalia should serve as a reasonable excuse for her actions.

He could have used kiddy gloves - but I see no reason why he should. I think it is great when LEOs are polite, just like I find it pleasant when John Smith citizen is polite - because it makes life easier for everyone. However, when someone is rude - they should not expect respect in return.

If she truly needed to use the restroom, I doubt she would have attempted to argue with him like she did. Handing over her license would have been the quickest way to the porcelain throne.

She thought she could bully him, and found out quickly that she was mistaken. If I acted in that fashion, I would have more than likely met the asphalt forcefully. In the end, her age and sex likely contributed to how gentle he handled her.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Yes, to train us what NOT to do. The Trooper actually fed the fire. He was nice about it but the Trooper did NOTHING to diffuse the situation. If you hadn't noticed, the Troop began to have fun with him.

Maybe you are right, after all you are the lawman. I would just like police to cultivate respect and dignity like professionals. I am fine with the the officer laughing at him (quietly). Manhandling the old woman wouldn't have defused the situation either if she hadn't of been a helpless old woman. I can get videos of police trying the same tactics on big strapping men and it often comes out differently. The woman's culture as a Texas Bell made her incredulous at the man's demeanor. We aren't paying her to be professional. the officer could of given the ticket without engaging in a fight, at least I could have.
    edit- On thinking longer I am sure that I could of taken her into custody without a fight also.

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Maybe you are right, after all you are the lawman. I would just like police to cultivate respect and dignity like professionals. I am fine with the the officer laughing at him (quietly). Manhandling the old woman wouldn't have defused the situation either if she hadn't of been a helpless old woman. I can get videos of police trying the same tactics on big strapping men and it often comes out differently. The woman's culture as a Texas Bell made her incredulous at the man's demeanor. We aren't paying her to be professional. the officer could of given the ticket without engaging in a fight, at least I could have.
    edit- On thinking longer I am sure that I could of taken her into custody without a fight also.

But you also advocate that the citizen can act any way they want, disrespectful, hostile, whatever. It's a two way street. The police may work for us in the sense that we pay tax's that in turn pay their salaries. But that does not mean we own them and can treat them any way we please.

I still believe the officer did act professionally.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I can see how someone could look at this video and believe he acted quickly and harsh, believing that "well - if he was nice and said X, then maybe she would have calmed down".

However, when people are confrontational and stubborn, this tactic fails the vast majority of the time. It can be your best choice of initial tactics if you are in a verbal exchange between peers - but in a situation where your duty is to authoritatively control the situation, it will often put you in a worse position.

Generally, when a simple expected request like "give me your license" on a traffic stop leads to confrontation - being nice will not turn their attitude around. They have made their mind up and will likely not budge - but only escalate if you do not meet their demands. Unfortunately for this woman, although that may work for her often - that particular situation is not one where that will fly.

Think bullies on the playground... same psychological concept. Until they come to realize that they are not the boss of others, they will take as many miles as you give them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    But you also advocate that the citizen can act any way they want, disrespectful, hostile, whatever. It's a two way street. The police may work for us in the sense that we pay tax's that in turn pay their salaries. But that does not mean we own them and can treat them any way we please.

No....... absolutely wrong. I rarely advocate hostile disrespectful behavior. Did you miss me commenting about behaving like life was a barnyard? I don't advocate the free citizen's atrocious behavior, I tolerate it. What I won't tolerate is base brutish behavior from my civil servants. the officer is not a free citizen while he is on my dime. Like he wears a uniform as a symbol of his dept. he should conform to a uniform code of conduct as a symbol of his dept.

He looked and sounded to me like a thug to an (admittedly mean) old woman. If it Looks like a duck.......

I will concede that there could be circumstances not obvious on the video. Nevertheless I remember when people in public life feared even "The appearance of impropriety".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No....... absolutely wrong. I rarely advocate hostile disrespectful behavior. Did you miss me commenting about behaving like life was a barnyard? I don't advocate the free citizen's atrocious behavior, I tolerate it. What I won't tolerate is base brutish behavior from my civil servants. the officer is not a free citizen while he is on my dime. Like he wears a uniform as a symbol of his dept. he should conform to a uniform code of conduct as a symbol of his dept.

He looked and sounded to me like a thug to an (admittedly mean) old woman. If it Looks like a duck.......

I will concede that there could be circumstances not obvious on the video. Nevertheless I remember when people in public life feared even "The appearance of impropriety".

I would like you to explain how he "looked and sounded" like a "thug." I heard no profanity, I heard no insults, I heard a repeated request, and saw a non-compliant motorist. A 77 year old person, can kill just as easily a 30 year old gangbanger. Police aren't in the business of making exceptions based on the perception of a person's ability. There are a lot of dead LEO who made the mistake of underestimating a person they've encountered. If a person want to be non-compliant during a legal stop, and it doesn't go the way they want, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I just thought he looked and sounded like a grown old punk who had issues with his mother as a youth. Probably why he is an officer today, compensating for authority issues. His demeanor was ugly and immediately laying hands on was brutish. Its the touching that often gets a cop killed anyway.

That was my impression and I am not afraid to go against the direction of the masses. Nor would I of been afraid of that woman. Neither was he, he never loosened up his gun. He was angry too fast at her resistance. Way too fast.

Linc8301

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I saw this on the tv earlier today. Bad thing is, aside from getting a doctors statement there is no way to tell whether she was lying or not. Some people young and old will use any excuse to get out of a ticket. I think she should have provided her information instead of arguing. He was doing his job and young or old police must be careful. He wasnt rude, she was rude first, then when he said "show it to me now or ill take you to jail" she said "Well go ahead". She should have just done what he asked. In no way did he slam her onto the ground he gave her plenty of chances to step out.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow has to be the most patient LEO ever! I love how he makes the guy get out the second time to pick up the paper.

Actually, there's a lot more to that video than you see.

From what I heard from a cop in that area a few years ago, that officer was fired over this. If you'll notice, the video starts when he comes BACK to the guy WITH the ticket and his license. This officer had a ton of complaints against him for being a total d-bag, so he decided to fix his image. He pulled this guy over, turned his recorder off, screamed and yelled at and insulted this guy for a while, worked him up real good, then went back, turned his camera on, and was Mr. CoolGuy for what you see. At least that's what I heard.

Now, back to the situation at hand...

I'm not always one to side with the police, but when a cop pulls you over, and tells you to give him your license and registration, give it to him. Arguing about it, insisting you'll give it to him when YOU feel like it, and generally being a pain in the ***, is only going to make your bad day worse.

This lady got what she asked for. She is old enough to know better, and deserves every bit of what she got.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Actually, there's a lot more to that video than you see.

From what I heard from a cop in that area a few years ago, that officer was fired over this. If you'll notice, the video starts when he comes BACK to the guy WITH the ticket and his license. This officer had a ton of complaints against him for being a total d-bag, so he decided to fix his image. He pulled this guy over, turned his recorder off, screamed and yelled at and insulted this guy for a while, worked him up real good, then went back, turned his camera on, and was Mr. CoolGuy for what you see. At least that's what I heard.

Now, back to the situation at hand...

I'm not always one to side with the police, but when a cop pulls you over, and tells you to give him your license and registration, give it to him. Arguing about it, insisting you'll give it to him when YOU feel like it, and generally being a pain in the ***, is only going to make your bad day worse.

This lady got what she asked for. She is old enough to know better, and deserves every bit of what she got.

Kinda true, kinda not.... the officer did NOT insult the guy during that encounter, but he found a "live" one, and used him to his benefit.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I would like you to explain how he "looked and sounded" like a "thug." I heard no profanity, I heard no insults, I heard a repeated request, and saw a non-compliant motorist. A 77 year old person, can kill just as easily a 30 year old gangbanger. Police aren't in the business of making exceptions based on the perception of a person's ability. There are a lot of dead LEO who made the mistake of underestimating a person they've encountered. If a person want to be non-compliant during a legal stop, and it doesn't go the way they want, they have no one to blame but themselves.

+1 officer.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Kinda true, kinda not.... the officer did NOT insult the guy during that encounter, but he found a "live" one, and used him to his benefit.

Well, to be fair, the exact phrase I was told was he "tuned him up." I am still not quite sure EXACTLY what that means, and simply assumed it included insults, etc.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I will have to go against everyone on this. The lady plainly stated that she WOULD show her license "in a minute". no refusal. police are public SERVANTS, not public TYRANTS. a professional will keep his cool and provide RESPECT. no matter what.

Doubtless the woman has had an attitude her whole life. NO EXCUSE. I expect the police to uphold a level of excellence in the face of attitude. furthermore to manhandle an old woman like that opens the dept to injury liability.

Treat my mother like that and win stupid prizes.

I watched that video and found myself shaking my head and thinking how sad.
    -Do I think she had a bladder infection? Probably
    -Do I think she was racing(read "speeding") to the bathroom? No
    -Do I think she was combative? Yes
    -Do I think that she posed a threat to the officer? No
    -Was the officer within his authority to drag her from the vehicle? Yes
    -Do I think the officer could have handled this differently? Yes

We, as a society, are losing something. I have watched it erode over my lifetime. I would imagine my grandparents watched it over theirs as well. We are losing respect and civility and a gereral willingness to help. Once was the day you saw a stranger walking down the road and you would give them a ride, someone broke down, you stop and help. You get pulled over, you talk to the LEO with respect and they to you, might even share a smile.

He had the winning hand from the beginning. He had all the backup at his disposal and hardware that he needed. Maybe a software update would be nice?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I watched that video and found myself shaking my head and thinking how sad.
    -Do I think she had a bladder infection? Probably
    -Do I think she was racing(read "speeding") to the bathroom? No
    -Do I think she was combative? Yes
    -Do I think that she posed a threat to the officer? No
    -Was the officer within his authority to drag her from the vehicle? Yes
    -Do I think the officer could have handled this differently? Yes

We, as a society, are losing something. I have watched it erode over my lifetime. I would imagine my grandparents watched it over theirs as well. We are losing respect and civility and a gereral willingness to help. Once was the day you saw a stranger walking down the road and you would give them a ride, someone broke down, you stop and help. You get pulled over, you talk to the LEO with respect and they to you, might even share a smile.

He had the winning hand from the beginning. He had all the backup at his disposal and hardware that he needed. Maybe a software update would be nice?

Tried to rep ya, very good points.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I didn't see anything wrong with this officer's actions in that video. That old, cranky ***** got what she deserved.

Isn't having your license and registration ready as soon as an officer approaches your car standard protocol? I have them in my hand before they get to my window.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but driving a car is a privilege, not a Right. Until the law is changed, when you get pulled over, have that **** ready to hand to the LEO...Things go much more smoothly that way and this video proves it.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    **WARNING: THE FOLLOWING OPINIONS ARE MADE BY A SOUTHERN GOOD OL' BOY. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED. THESE COMMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FDA/FCC/IRS/FBI/NSA/OR IN BUREAU OF FARM ANIMALS**

Ok, I grew up in the South- good old rural Alabama. I was taught to respect my elders AND police officers. I use ma'am and sir to anyone, regardless of age. I have not been able to watch the video, but going by the article's rpeorting of the incident, I have to lay fault on the lady who was arrested.
    • Presenting a driver's license is a basic expectation of a traffic stop. That's nothing new. Refusing a pilice officer's basic instructions are a great way to your bad day worse, especially when they are legal requests.
    • Further, when you speed, you risk a ticket. If you want to avoid being pulled over, drive the speed limit. I know many of us choose to drive faster than the posted limit, but we accept that risk.
    • Finally, I think we get a little big-headed when we talk about public servants, because we forget that they are not here to serve me, they are here to serve the public, of which I as an individual am only a part. They don't enforce my laws, but the laws of the community. If I am violating the law, they are supposed to respond to the situation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, to be fair, the exact phrase I was told was he "tuned him up." I am still not quite sure EXACTLY what that means, and simply assumed it included insults, etc.

That's what he did. That particular officer had had numerous complaints about his poor attitude. Like all officers, at some point, you're going to encounter "that guy," who's an ass no matter what. The officer got the motorist real worked up with sarcasm, and then started filming.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    That video looked like the collision of two individuals who had made up their minds how that stop was going to go. The old lady thought that being old and sick was a free pass, and the officer was in no mood to de-escalate her. Some people just don't act right.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    "As the officer walked up to the vehicle, the woman announced she was speeding because she had a bladder infection and had to use the bathroom

And I'm sure the closest bathroom was ahead of her, and she hadn't passed any in the time the officer had her in his view.

I admit to speeding when my son has to pee and I want to get home before he explodes. If I am pulled over, I would say why I was speeding while handing over the license and registration. I would be as nice and apologetic as possible to get moving so my son could pee.

This lady is probably just a mean old bird if I had to guess.

Top Bottom