• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

States that state law prohibits businesses that sell alcohol from allowing someone without a license to carry a firearm in their business, so, they feel it is their obligation to verify a license for anyone openly carrying a firearm.

I call bovine excrement!

If you use that logic, they could just as easily be held liable for allowing someone to carry a concealed firearm in their business without a license.
    So, when are Wal-Mart greeters going to start preforming pat-downs? What about strip-searches?

What a bunch of imbeciles.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

This is how it works in Texas. Everyone sets themselves on fire and then runs around the conference room table screaming for a while and then things simmer down.

I started going down there in '95 right before the right to carry came into law. Since the hysteria of '96, things are MUCH more relaxed there now. Last time I was in Texas (Hill Country) I was all but open carrying. No one cared. Even DPS looked at me and then back to their burritos at Mamacita's in Kerrville.

I predict there will be hysteria, nothing will happen (just like in every other state), and people will go about their lives as if open carry had always been the law.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pretty much says it all.

Ever heard the term, "Judge not, lest ye be judged".

I doubt any person of faith has any misconceptions about the latter part of that phrase. It's going to happen regardless, right? Surely you don't believe that if you amazingly live a life without judging people, your yourself won't be judged.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I suspect had the civil rights movement not occurred you wouldn't hold that opinion.

Insert some random comment about the view from the cheap seats...

I'd still hold that opinion. But I'd also hold a very violent philosophy as to how attain liberty. The Civil Rights Movement provided a viable, and preferred, alternative to violence.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    States that state law prohibits businesses that sell alcohol from allowing someone without a license to carry a firearm in their business, so, they feel it is their obligation to verify a license for anyone openly carrying a firearm.

I call bovine excrement!

If you use that logic, they could just as easily be held liable for allowing someone to carry a concealed firearm in their business without a license.
    So, when are Wal-Mart greeters going to start preforming pat-downs? What about strip-searches?

The Alcoholic Beverage Code states:

11.61(e) Except as provided by Subsection (f) or (i), the commission or administrator shall cancel an original or renewal permit if it is found, after notice and hearing, that the permittee knowingly allowed a person to possess a firearm in a building on the licensed premises.

So no, they can't be obviously be held liable for something they don't know about, like a concealed handgun (nor for that matter, guns open carried by robbers). As for open carried handguns, I doubt that Walmart would really get too excited about it except that certain open carry supporters made such colossal asses of themselves that they heavily reinforced the "gun nut" image promoted by MDA and others.

At one point during the legislative session, certain well known OC "supporters" started pushing the idea that the Dutton/Strickland Amendments, which would prevent peace officers from asking for a carry license solely because someone is OCing, were "back door constitutional carry" -- i.e. people without LTCs would be able to open carry illegally without fear of police nabbing them. (Also note that two of the most well-know OC "supporters" in Texas have criminal records that prevent them from getting a Texas License to Carry.)

This was big factor in the killing of the amendment (and nearly killed OC entirely), and believe me, people -- like Walmart corporate lawyers -- remember stupid crap like this. So yes they are afraid of some clown toting his gun around without benefit of a license, and if Walmart can see it because it is OC, then they feel compelled to do check on it or risk losing their alcohol license. The "bovine excrement" in this case is not on Walmart.

Btw, one other gift that certain OC supporters gave us in the new law was the requirement for a belt or shoulder holster -- because certain parties notice that without such a specification, they could open carry handguns in their hands! Wonderful idea. Would someone do it? No doubt. Welcome to holster requirements.

There was a bill that removed nearly all restrictions on where a concealed handgun could be carried, but because of it took a huge amount of political support just to keep open carry from being swamped by some of its "supporters," campus carry sucked up pretty much all the excess, and the bill to remove restrictions from neglect.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Btw, one other gift that certain OC supporters gave us in the new law was the requirement for a belt or shoulder holster -- because certain parties notice that without such a specification, they could open carry handguns in their hands! Wonderful idea. Would someone do it? No doubt. Welcome to holster requirements.

Lord, save me from my allies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When a person OCs in Walmart....how does Walmart know they don't have a permit?

"Knowlingly"- it has a meaning. Learn it, live it, love it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Some of the people quoted in the article seem to be pretty cavalier about assigning motives to others, particularly to open carry folks. How about something as pedestrian as they simply find it more comfortable? As I just posted in another thread, I tried it once and felt uncomfortable with it, but I certainly do not disparage others practicing their Second Amendment rights as they see fit.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And the hardy perennial about guns and pickup trucks and the size of ones' manhood.

That too, especially rich coming from little sissies that don't have any of the above.

"...I've heard that phallic symbol argument before-- from ineffectual wretches, driven to make others as helpless as they are. But Freud said fear of weapons is a symptom of sexual pathology. Anyway, who's sicker, somebody who thinks his gun is a sexual organ, or somebody who wants to take everybody's sexual organs away?" --L. Neil Smith, writing for "Clarissa", in The Probability Broach

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    "...I've heard that phallic symbol argument before-- from ineffectual wretches, driven to make others as helpless as they are. But Freud said fear of weapons is a symptom of sexual pathology. Anyway, who's sicker, somebody who thinks his gun is a sexual organ, or somebody who wants to take everybody's sexual organs away?" --L. Neil Smith, writing for "Clarissa", in The Probability Broach

My understanding of human nature is generally derived from origins other than clinical psychology, especially of the Freudian variety in which most everything works back to sexuality. That said, I find it interesting the (alleged) men who act like frightened rabbits in the presence of or at the thought of anyone who does not rely on the .gov like his parents for his security (or illusion thereof). When you introduce sexuality to the discussion of security, you find these little sissies who think that, based on themselves and their own peculiarities, that just because they may want to hump everything they see by extension, if I have a gun, then I necessarily want to shoot everything I see. Critically, they fail to understand that their security must rest on taking responsibility for themselves (which they have no desire to do) and societal decency, rather than cutting everyone else down to being as sissified as they are. No, I don't fancy myself the 'tough guy' per se, but I do accept responsibility for my own security, and when I have problems, I accept responsibility for either dealing with them or determining that they are not worth dealing with. Perhaps most important, I understand that I cannot make myself any taller by cutting anyone else off at the knees, which is exactly what these idiots are trying to do. It has been said that in the valley of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. I, for one, do not feel the need to go around poking people's eyes out for self-promotion which is exactly what our neighborhood sissy-boys who want to make phallic wisecracks about our guns are trying to do.

Top Bottom