Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...Some other places have put up this sign:

red%20barn%20bbq.jpg

And you note that when pro-gun people want to say a gun is welcome.... they use a 1911, not tupperware. :stickpoke:

:laugh: :lmfao:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Seems like a gimmick to generate business. Anywho, I hope they do well.
    IDK but for some reason this has an air of disappointment to it that they didn't decide to toss them out on their ass instead. I could be wrong though.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some of the more...vigorous, shall we say... supporters of open carry and constitutional carry chose to carry long guns during various demonstrations and into various businesses, and this was supposed to advance the case for OC an Const. Carry somehow. Pretty much everyone else saw it do the opposite. While there is no law against carrying long guns in public in Texas, the effect of carrying a long gun in urban or suburban settings has a different impact than carrying them on ranches or while hunting.

And yet they got open carry passed

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Point being, that this business could just as easily go the other way, if was deemed the more profitable route.

I've heard of several businesses employing this gimmick. I even posted of one from my home town in Tennessee. While there probably is, I don't recall hearing of people posting signs in front of their businesses stating they're a gun free zones as a business attracting gimmick such as: "Show us you don't have a gun and we'll give you 25% off your purchase".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've heard of several businesses employing this gimmick. I even posted of one from my home town in Tennessee. While there probably is, I don't recall hearing of people posting signs in front of their businesses stating they're a gun free zones as a business attracting gimmick such as: "Show us you don't have a gun and we'll give you 25% off your purchase".

If you don't have four guns, could you get a 100% discount? If you are not carrying five guns, do they pay your 25% the price of your order?

Heh.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'd ban open carry in my business too. Gun owners are wind bags. If they could financially prove their petty no money no guns cards hurt my bottom line then I would reconsider. If they liked my products before, they would buy them after. Probably just see an uptick in online sales.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I would argue they got media coverge, which is what helped get it passed. Before them, it was a dead point.

You can argue, but you'd be wrong. Note that the media coverage was nearly universally negative, with a strong "nuts with guns" vibe that certain parties played right into.

The open carry bill that passed was written and worked among the legislators by TSRA and NRA before OCT and OCTC even came into existence. This is a legislature that is 2A friendly, even among some of the Dems, and many of its members and the supporting TSRA members have worked for years to get to the point where 2A bills can advance - with or without "media" coverage. OCTC and OCT suddenly pop up at the last minute, denounce long time 2A supporters, try to intimidate the legislature, and brought the whole show to a screeching halt for much of the time. Much effort that was could have been used to advance other bills was spent repairing the damage and keeping at least licensed OC alive. At one point OCT even indicated they would oppose the one OC bill that was actually making it out of committee; they have since scubbed this from the web and are trying take credit passing a bill they had little to do with, but brought negative coverage to.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'd ban open carry in my business too. Gun owners are wind bags. If they could financially prove their petty no money no guns cards hurt my bottom line then I would reconsider. If they liked my products before, they would buy them after. Probably just see an uptick in online sales.

I would have to split the difference. Concealed provides for the people who want to be armed to be armed while not scaring the sheep, whose money most businesses also need in order to make ends meet. I don't like being treated like a redheaded stepchild, particularly in the case of a complete GFZ, but on the other hand, I can understand a business wanting to make all customers comfortable to enter, and unfortunately, this might include pandering to some irrational emotions. I really don't think that the position of 'carry it, but don't rub it in the sheep's faces' is an unreasonable compromise. After all, the business defeats its purpose if it can't keep an adequate customer base to remain solvent.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Point being, that this business could just as easily go the other way, if was deemed the more profitable route.
    This particular business owner probably doesn't have profit as his reason for posting his sign. And I doubt he would "go the other way" regardless of profit!

Top Bottom