• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    And that's about all the Tesla is good for, 1/4 mile, before it has to sit 8 hours to recharge. :laugh:

Think it was mentioned, but that's not a Dodge Charger. And yeah, that driver simply doesn't know how to launch the car for a drag race.

Have seen 3 - 5 around NWI. Cool car, nice looks, looks to be nicely appointed. But, they're pricey. And, with re-charge times clocked in hours, it's gonna take some radical new battery technology before it's ready for a NY to LA cross country trip. Something easily achievable in any gasoline powered automobile.

Until the day when folks can pull into a re-charge station on every other street corner, plug in, go inside and grab a cup o' joe, come out and continue on their merry way, it's all still in Fantasy-Land except for the few collectors (Leno, Allen, et. al.) and guys who want to spend $100k for a car they only drive locally.

Me? For the same $$$ as the Tesla I'll take the Hellcat AND a Dodge pick-'em'up.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Impressive.

You should see Ford's Cobra Jet. Unless of course you already have...

Of course they only make them in small numbers, I think 50 a year.

[video=youtube_share;un5qQLuRIMo]http://youtu.be/un5qQLuRIMo[/video]

The Super Cobra Jet will run in the 8s.

How's that for a factory drag car? Lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You should see Ford's Cobra Jet. Unless of course you already have...

Of course they only make them in small numbers, I think 50 a year.

[video=youtube_share;un5qQLuRIMo]http://youtu.be/un5qQLuRIMo[/video]

The Super Cobra Jet will run in the 8s.

How's that cor a factory drag car? Lol.

I saw the 1st one to run at Raceway park. It is a skunk works car hand built in a separate shop. Straight up Drag car built with factory support and available to the public id you got the cash.

And, he was a dick staging.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Mercedes makes an all electric SLS AMG that is a track munching monster.

Electric motors have more torque than their fossil fuel counterparts. This is why the new hotness is combining electric motors with gas. The electric gives the low end grunt and then the high revving gas engine takes over.

Examples:

Mclaren P1
    Porsche 918 Spyder
    Ferrari F70

check out the Top Gear UK review of the 918... Too awesome.! I think the blue flames out of the exhaust is the best part. I'm also 13.

I'm right there with you. That's Benz has a motor per wheel, if memory serves me correct. Thar Benz is awesome but I like a nice soundtrack of a nice 429, 454, etc.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    And that's about all the Tesla is good for, 1/4 mile, before it has to sit 8 hours to recharge. :laugh:

Think it was mentioned, but that's not a Dodge Charger. And yeah, that driver simply doesn't know how to launch the car for a drag race.

Have seen 3 - 5 around NWI. Cool car, nice looks, looks to be nicely appointed. But, they're pricey. And, with re-charge times clocked in hours, it's gonna take some radical new battery technology before it's ready for a NY to LA cross country trip. Something easily achievable in any gasoline powered automobile.

Until the day when folks can pull into a re-charge station on every other street corner, plug in, go inside and grab a cup o' joe, come out and continue on their merry way, it's all still in Fantasy-Land except for the few collectors (Leno, Allen, et. al.) and guys who want to spend $100k for a car they only drive local

That is the real concern. We do not have our cars transported by a truck to a track to show some impressive little experiment. In a real world test, they would drive the cars 250 miles to the track and then race.

I am interested in electric cars for urban commuting, and they are definately getting closer to useful. Until they can sell them without the taxpayers having to subsidize them they are really not financially viable either. Then there is that whole thing on what to do with that $4000 battery pack when it is no longer functional.

I do hope they keep working on improving them.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Yeah, range and recharge time is an issue...then there's this:

tesla-58-e1380755511580.jpg

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I love how drivers feel the need to do a burn out with street tires, they want to look cool like the big boys. I used to race at IRP back in the day in the street stock category. Burnouts on streets just makes them really slippery. Street tires=no bunout. Race tires=burn out to warm them up. The driver of the Dodge obviously has no idea how to race.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I love how drivers feel the need to do a burn out with street tires, they want to look cool like the big boys. I used to race at IRP back in the day in the street stock category. Burnouts on streets just makes them really slippery. Street tires=no bunout. Race tires=burn out to warm them up. The driver of the Dodge obviously has no idea how to race.

These days as tech. advances they offer a street tire that hooks like a monster. They do need to be heated and you will not get 30K out of them. More like 2 sets a summer if you beat on them. I ran them on a couple of street cars and they do work just like slicks. They offer them in Radials as well.

Depending on when you ran we may have paired up in the lights at one time or another.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    These days as tech. advances they offer a street tire that hooks like a monster. They do need to be heated and you will not get 30K out of them. More like 2 sets a summer if you beat on them. I ran them on a couple of street cars and they do work just like slicks. They offer them in Radials as well.

Depending on when you ran we may have paired up in the lights at one time or another.
    True, I've seen the hybrid tires. However, I do not think I've ever seen them in the factory 20" wheel size as in the picture.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    True, I've seen the hybrid tires. However, I do not think I've ever seen them in the factory 20" wheel size as in the picture.

No. You need side wall to get the grip.

The rears on my 65 are Street tires made for dual purpose. They wrap up and set.
    On its way to an 11.80

Top Bottom