I think I'd prefer the semi-truck from Death Race

z188554375.png

z188554337.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I thought turbo's required electronics to function properly? I'm sorry if that's not the case. Just one thing that keeps popping up when looking for a vehicle that will survive EMP.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I thought turbo's required electronics to function properly? I'm sorry if that's not the case. Just one thing that keeps popping up when looking for a vehicle that will survive EMP.

Nope, they don't. If you want to verify that, just take a look at an old tractor like our Fords. They are all late 70's to early 80's. Mechanical injection diesels with turbos. Only things electric about them is the starter and the sensors for the guages.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    any carburated vehical should......i think survive an EMP........turbos do not require any type pf electronics. Lots of WWII plans were turbo propped to make it to higher altitudes.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Nope, they don't. If you want to verify that, just take a look at an old tractor like our Fords. They are all late 70's to early 80's. Mechanical injection diesels with turbos. Only things electric about them is the starter and the sensors for the guages.

I stand corrected and I should have known better. :facepalm: I shall go sulk in disgrace....

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    any carburated vehical should......i think survive an EMP........turbos do not require any type pf electronics. Lots of WWII plans were turbo propped to make it to higher altitudes.
    no disrespect meant, but not true.

Lots of newer (relatively speaking) carbed vehicles contain electronic ignitions, these boxes would cease to function after an emp.

Older carbed vehicles contain, if I'm not mistaken, a points ignition, in which the spark is mechanically fired, instead of electronically. These should not be effected by an emp.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Someone else's vehicle would be the best so your insurance does not go up.

:laugh: I don't think I'd worry about insurance at that point, but yea, someone else's vehicle would be best! :laugh:

Lots of newer (relatively speaking) carbed vehicles contain electronic ignitions, these boxes would cease to function after an emp.

Older carbed vehicles contain, if I'm not mistaken, a points ignition, in which the spark is mechanically fired, instead of electronically. These should not be effected by an emp.

Yes, this. But the only problem is the ignition system. If you have a manual Transmission, this won't matter anyway. :thumbsup:

Nothing like a good ole rolling jump-start to breathe life into dead vehicle. :D

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Yes, this. But the only problem is the ignition system. If you have a manual Transmission, this won't matter anyway. :thumbsup:

Nothing like a good ole rolling jump-start to breathe life into dead vehicle. :D
    We're not talking about the ability to start the engine, we're talking about the ability for the engine to continue to run.

In a points system, the spark is mechanically timed and controlled. In electronic or computer controlled systems, the spark will not fire if the electronics are disabled.

The starting of most engines is actually very simple, although newer vehicles have made it overly complicated, and susceptible to emps, due to computers and electronics.

But for most vehicles, all you need is the battery, a starter motor, and a manually operated switch with a relay. These things are very simple devices that don't need delicate electronics to operate. Most emps shouldn't bother them.

It is my understanding that emps damage electronics because the strong magnetic wave induces voltages that are far too great for the delicate circuits, and it simply melts the circuits and fries things to bits.

But if you have nice beefy connections and simple switches, then nothing should go wrong.

I suppose the emp may make the all mechanical engine stutter some because of a missed firing or two, but it should be over with almost instantaneously, and the engine would continue to run as if nothing happened.

and if the engine did stall by chance, it should be able to be restarted very easily...

Of course, I'm just playing this out in my head, I have no first hand experience to back this up...

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I got my little suzuki samurai that I yanked out the computer and converted to a webber carb.

Should work through an EMP. Not sure about the disty though. Maybe I should keep a spare one torn down and stored away.

My understanding is that Microchips ans any silicon based components will die in an EMP, or anything that cannot stand up to transient currents generated by electromagnetics. Anything with a coil will charge up too.

What is the range of an EMP produced by an atomic blast anyways?

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009

:laugh: I don't think I'd worry about insurance at that point, but yea, someone else's vehicle would be best! :laugh:

I think he is referring to the electronic ignition in post 74 vehicles.
    Will an EMP fry All transformers? What about the old coils on pre 74's?
    If that's the case,will it also destroy all starter motors,alternators,and generators?
    If so then we are back to bicycles and horse and buggys.....maybe rickshaws.:laugh:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I got my little suzuki samurai that I yanked out the computer and converted to a webber carb.

Should work through an EMP. Not sure about the disty though. Maybe I should keep a spare one torn down and stored away.
    Not likely going to work. Even without the ECM you've still got a somewhat electronic ignition. The little pickup at the bottom of the dist. shaft is going to get fried as well as the ignition control module in the top of the dist. and then there's the electronic fuel pump!!!! DOH!!! No one thought of that did they! The engine must be 100% mechanical, even the fuel pump. The points in a mechanical engine will more than likely even need to be replaced. The coil, not so sure about, they're pretty well insulated and designed to handle quite a bit of current, but who knows. Oh, and don't forget about the fan clutch because an electric cooling fan is going to be fried. My next auto purchase is actually going to be an old '60s model 4x4. With the money I save on it, I can afford to completely restore it to like factory new and still have cash left over compared to buying a new car.

bonsaijackson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    No question I'm tumb'lin :laugh: like the batman, there's now way if I had the opportunity I could pass up drivin that thing! I'll worry about the shtf afterwords.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    WOW...

Some here need to research EMP a lot more than just what they have seen on TV, and Hollywood. It does not work the way you are thinking it does... Have you ever seen a Transformer on a pole explode? Congratulations, you just survived an EMP event...

MOST vehicles even those new fangled ones with all the electronic gizmo's will continue to operate at least until you run out of fuel for them anyway. A large % that were being driven at the time the EMP was initiated will just need to be turned off and restarted. EMP is NOT a kill every electronic device answer. A very small % will need to have components replaced or repaired if the electronics were in function when the event happened.
    If it was as effective, you would definately see it being used on the battlefield of today. Heck even most ground vehicles in the Military are not shielded against EMP...

Top Bottom