• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Are there gun shops near where you are museum visiting? I bet there is something to be worked out, if so.
    I don't think that gun shops can keep a gun without it going through their books, but I may be wrong. Maybe a gun shop owner could chime in here.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't think that gun shops can keep a gun without it going through their books, but I may be wrong. Maybe a gun shop owner could chime in here.

Some gun shops have lockers for rent.
    My local range has lockers they rent to students who can't keep a gun in their dorm rooms.

Super Trucker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    In front of you
    Visit a gun shop and put your gun on consignment, you know the glock that is worth $1500.00. Then when you are ready to go pay the gun shop $20.00 for their troubles and be on your way.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Just a thought, how about contacting a pawn shop ahead of time. Pay them a "holding" fee and you can drop it off and pick it up as needed...

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I carried personal weapons on military posts and bases for a couple of decades, with no issues. Unless you give them a good reason to search your vehicle...With that being said, I wouldn't encourage you to break the law or DoD regulations.
    I would say contact the installations that you intend to visit, by phone, ahead of time and inquire about storage options. As stated above, many installations will store your weapon in their arms room or other safe. They do this for military personnel, veterans, safe havens for truck drivers, etcetera, all the time.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Just a thought, how about contacting a pawn shop ahead of time. Pay them a "holding" fee and you can drop it off and pick it up as needed...

At least in Indiana, you can't pawn a gun, you can only sell it to the pawn shop.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I have a mobile firearm storage locker that I can have you meet !

He is going on a military base, the possession of firearms would be a federal crime even if secured within a locked container. The odds he gets searched and it gets discovered is minimal, but not something worth risking.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Thanks
    I have done this a few times when making deliveries at unfriendly locations. Many military bases will help truckers by secure their guns while on base, but some will not. You have to be creative in those situations, which is where this came into play.

:yesway:......
    at'sa reason I said upthread...." I do whut works fer ME...."
    :):

I can understand the OP's position o' not want'n ta force a felony on his self, tho........

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Can you give us some reasoning as to why a lock box in your car is a no go?

Military base is a no go for weapons in car or on person. My Dad ran into this on vacation. They asked about his gun when they went to see a museum on base. Caught him by surprise because he didn't even think about it. He said the said guard on duty was a very friendly and very attractive. (Not that it matters). She told him to take it back to the hotel. Since they weren't staying in town that wasn't really an option.

So 1) schedule the trip to stay in a hotel close to the base. 2) go unarmed for the trip. 3) skip the on base activities.

Top Bottom