The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    This will not end well peoples.
    Keep it civil or step off.
    The OP has a rep for stirring things up. You can get sucked in if you wish but lets be adults OK. Name calling etc is a :nono:
    I will say this only once and the hammer will come out of the case.
    To the OP.....you know exactly where you stand with me so keep it inside the lines. I grow weary of your tactics.
    To anyone that follows him into the rabbit hole.......:dunno:

HOA's can and do suck. Not everyone but not everyone fits into that mold.

:popcorn:
    Sorry for making it harder church. Stepping off.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    The OP has a rep for stirring things up. You can get sucked in if you wish but lets be adults OK. Name calling etc is a :nono:
    To the OP.....you know exactly where you stand with me so keep it inside the lines. I grow weary of your tactics.

When that case opens... is there a bright, golden glow?
    I envision the case on Pulp Fiction.:bowdown:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Governing is Governing. You can pretend that that the rules are just a simple agreement between the property owners, but if that was the case there would be nothing to enforce.

Enjoy your HOA, I'll enjoy my Freedoms or at least what's left of them.
    You are making way more of it than it really is. It is just an agreement, most chose to have a third party management company administrator the details of it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why do you feel the need to convince the rest of the members here they need to do the same, or that somehow they need an HOA to protect them from stuff like this?
    It is an interesting topic to me. It is winter, so thought this outlandish sit presented in the article was an interesting example.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Per zillow, this house:
    View attachment 183351

View attachment 183352

Home values all seem to be in the same range, regardless of the pink house. Assessment has gone up 30% in the last few tax years. House sold for $318 in 2018, and is now valued over $500K.

Neighbor is valued at $503K (Zillow). Assessed at $297K, up from $275K in 2018. Neighbors on either side are smaller ranches. The pink house is larger and appears to either have 2 levels are very high ceilings.

Really nothing for sale in the neighborhood, so hard to find actual selling prices.

My only advice:
    - If you want to live on top of your neighbors, and want to control their actions, buy in an HOA
    - If you want to live on top of your neighbors, and don't want your neighbors to control YOUR actions, don't buy in an HOA

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If you're in a HOA you signed off on the paperwork during your closing and it should be no surprise.

As to the above posts where someone was retroactively placed into a HOA, IANAL but I'm sure they could fight it in court. Just at what cost.

I'm in a HOA and have zero issues, but we knew that going in. I'm closer to my neighbor than I'd like, but the 21 year old me couldn't afford the acreage I want... so here we are until the kids graduate school...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It doesn't matter if I'm cool with someone's actions on their own property, as long as they are not physically interfering in someone's life. I don't think that is what you are understanding.

What if the HOA says you are not allowed to have a firearm in you home or vehicle? It is a big jump but really not.
    HOA’s do not say anything. The legal documents called covenants are the legally binding rules. The HOA can only enforce them. There are legal mechanisms for updating them but it is not easy.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    In the 70's I would often drive through Hebron, Indiana. As you entered town was a house on the corner painted Purple. Not a lillc tint, proud and bold PURPLE. No one seemed to care, in fact, local people would use it for a landmark when giving directions. ie: "turn left at the purple house and we are the 5th house on the right".
    Beat me to the punch. I think people would be upset if that house was painted another color. Believe it is still there.

Reactions: Leo

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Mike, why won't you believe us when we tell you we don't like to be told what to do - especially with something we own. What's next, mandate what color car I can park in my driveway, or perhaps what models are acceptable?
    In the HOA I going to run you won’t be allowed cars at all.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Did you guys know that the 5 or 10 acres you buy from a farmer could have HOA covenants? So buying in the country is not a guarantee of no HOA rules. His wife might not like the sound of a race car being tuned, the smell of pigs, or other things one might believe themselves to be well with their rights to do on their property. Be sure to check throughly and don’t just take someones word on it…

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have seen really ridiculous non sense in the leadership of some HOA's. My neighborhood is in the county so our HOA primarily is a mechanism to have street lights, maintain a drainage lift station and maintain a private park with children's playground and tennis courts. They do a little bit like a spring recycling / heavy disposal event and a couple things like an Easter egg hunt for the kids. Other than that, we do not hear much.

I have to laugh, our bylaws say that you are restricted to two animals per property, yet a previous HOA President's wife has 5 little yappy dogs, and another board member has 4, but his you never see or hear. I have 8 or 10 wild rabbits because mine is about the only yard without a dog. They are used to us and don't even run off when I am in the yard. If I get desperate for a meal, they will be stew meat.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don’t remember anyone giving me a choice of government or not when I was born. But I can guess what Big Red would have chosen…
    Did you have the choice of living in an HOA(or which one) or not when you were born?

Let's see they have a Constitution (covenants), a government (HOA board), laws (CCR), don't know if they have their own "courts" or not it would probably depend on the HOA but I'm guessing they have something similar, etc. Sounds a lot like a govt to me. :dunno:

If you like them. Fine. If others don't? Fine.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I love my hoa I am the president and coincidently the only owner within the boa’s jurisdiction….. i hate neighbors and hoa’s so much I bought my neighbors houses when they went up for sale haha so now I have renters but being hoa president it’s a non issue.

If you want to live in an hoa great if not great. But I think if the home is inside and HOA it should be in bold print at the top in the for sale listing.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Did you guys know that the 5 or 10 acres you buy from a farmer could have HOA covenants? So buying in the country is not a guarantee of no HOA rules. His wife might not like the sound of a race car being tuned, the smell of pigs, or other things one might believe themselves to be well with their rights to do on their property. Be sure to check throughly and don’t just take someones word on it…
    You make a good point of making sure to do thorough research before you buy a piece of property.

Over 40yrs ago, our church sold a chunk of property to a company that wanted to build a medical facility with a parking garage next door. Those who made the decisions at the time thought it was a great way to pay off the mortgage for the expansion that had just been completed on the church. In selling that chunk of property, a covenant was filed stating so long as the church exists we have access to a designated number of parking spaces in the garage and have full access after certain hours and on the weekends. This covenant has a stipulation that ties in any future property owner as well. Over the years, that medical building has become abandoned and the garage in some disrepair as it has changed owners several times.
    So, yes always do your research to make sure the property you buy isn't tied to a HOA or any other covenants that may prohibit you from using the property how you plan

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Bully

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom