• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In the 70's I would often drive through Hebron, Indiana. As you entered town was a house on the corner painted Purple. Not a lillc tint, proud and bold PURPLE. No one seemed to care, in fact, local people would use it for a landmark when giving directions. ie: "turn left at the purple house and we are the 5th house on the right".

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    The death from a thousand cuts from overzealous little Napoleons is often worse than the rando situations like this.

I can rattle off a half dozen petty complaints against the HOAs just from my AO.

A preview includes:
    "You didnt ask to put a raised bed between your sidewalk and house. Rip it out, submit professional elevations and we will consider your request." (She told them to pound sand because its just 2 landscape timbers tall and a trunkload of soil. they relented after a scolding)
    "you didnt paint that new mailbox post using Sherwin Williams #2345 beige" (homeowner used the equivalent color from his neighbor accounting for fade to make it match perfectly)
    "you didnt purchase the replacement mailbox and have it replaced by our vendor. Rip it out and contact Bob at..." (it was the exact same post style and box type/size. "Bob" is the friends with the board and they knew he didnt do the job )

All of these included threats of fines if not done.
    This is just the beginning. They told my friend AFTER he moved in his dog would be added to the "not allowed" breeds. And he will wother have to lie about the breed or get rid of the dog that he has had for 12 years. If you join a HOA you are just giving them more power. There are other options that dont require civilian governance for housing.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    An HOA is NOT government. It is an agreement between property owners as to how they will live. You can choose to live with an HOA or choose not to. No one can choose to live without the feds no matter how much we wish we could.

If SHTF and CM invited a bunch of us to share a compound, would there not be an agreement as to how we would all live together? That is an HOA.

Think those tough individual ranchers that opened the Wild West did not have agreements as to how they would live together? Think they lived in anarchy? Nope, they had agreements, and still do.
    Isn't government at it's essence simply an agreement as to how people will live?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    This is about living in subdivisions on small close lots where you neighbors can intrude on you and can make things unsightly. The neighbors are losing market value because many folks will not buy next to this guy and some will not buy in the neighborhood he is in. He is literally costing his neighbors money and there is nothing they can do about it.

View attachment 183325

Commie.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Seriously. Come on Amigo would you buy a house within sight of this thing. I would not. Does that loose value..?? Maybe not but it sure makes it hard to sell your place in proximity.
    I wouldn’t only because that makes any house too close for me. Has nothing to do with his color choice.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Per zillow, this house:
    View attachment 183351

View attachment 183352

Home values all seem to be in the same range, regardless of the pink house. Assessment has gone up 30% in the last few tax years. House sold for $318 in 2018, and is now valued over $500K.

Neighbor is valued at $503K (Zillow). Assessed at $297K, up from $275K in 2018. Neighbors on either side are smaller ranches. The pink house is larger and appears to either have 2 levels are very high ceilings.

Really nothing for sale in the neighborhood, so hard to find actual selling prices.

My only advice:
    - If you want to live on top of your neighbors, and want to control their actions, buy in an HOA
    - If you want to live on top of your neighbors, and don't want your neighbors to control YOUR actions, don't buy in an HOA

Well stated

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't we have this very same discussion some months back?

Personally I think HOA's are ridiculous and wouldn't give my neighbors leverage to have control over my property. IMHO, we already have enough options to address bad situations with neighbors.

Edit- maybe more people should ask themselves what do they do that maybe their neighbors don't like. Maybe they think you being a gun owner drives their property value down by making their neighborhood less safe. Depends how much of the liberal wine and kool aid one drinks

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It takes gumption to control the little tyrants, if they get control, and they usually get control when good folks get lazy and don’t want to get involved leaving a vacuum for them to fill.
    It would seem that just not having an HOA would also prevent the 'little tyrants' from taking control and require a great deal less work from me

You really think I should buy in an allotment with an HOA and then have to spend my time getting involved with it just to preemptively prevent even worse people than me from trying to tell my neighbors what to do?

Are you on the safety committee at work, too?

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't we have this very same discussion some months back?

Personally I think HOA's are ridiculous and wouldn't give my neighbors leverage to have control over my property. IMHO, we already have enough options to address bad situations with neighbors.
    "giant inflatable wieners in the front yard"?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I would not live in a neighborhood of small lots that did not have an HOA to stop this kind of thing. Since he bought in a neighborhood without an HOA it is completely his right to do so.

Me, I like an HOA, which actually is a contract among the owners as to how they will live. One of those typical agreement points is there will be no pink houses.
    Freedom hating commie in training in my considered opinion.
    And taxation is theft.

And property taxes are the worst kind of theft.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would not live in a neighborhood of small lots that did not have an HOA to stop this kind of thing. Since he bought in a neighborhood without an HOA it is completely his right to do so.

Me, I like an HOA, which actually is a contract among the owners as to how they will live. One of those typical agreement points is there will be no pink houses.
    Justin Trudeau probably got his start on an HOA, and now look what happened

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I just really doubt that if it was your $30,000, and maybe more, you guys would really be cool with this. It is easy to say when real money is not on the line.
    Mike, why won't you believe us when we tell you we don't like to be told what to do - especially with something we own. What's next, mandate what color car I can park in my driveway, or perhaps what models are acceptable?

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Mike, why won't you believe us when we tell you we don't like to be told what to do - especially with something we own. What's next, mandate what color car I can park in my driveway, or perhaps what models are acceptable?

Apparently they already do that.

I hate seeing people support anything that infringes on any freedom or decision that anybody wants to make; want to split your tongue? Pierce your genitals, tattoo yourself from head to foot? Smoke tobacco or whatever? Own a gun? Have a “dangerous animal” paint your house pink? Throw a party? Have more than 3 people over? Not wear a mask? Wear a mask? If it doesn’t cause you or your property damage who should care about what you do in your own life.

Even giant inflatable weiners.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This will not end well peoples.
    Keep it civil or step off.
    The OP has a rep for stirring things up. You can get sucked in if you wish but lets be adults OK. Name calling etc is a :nono:
    I will say this only once and the hammer will come out of the case.
    To the OP.....you know exactly where you stand with me so keep it inside the lines. I grow weary of your tactics.
    To anyone that follows him into the rabbit hole.......:dunno:

HOA's can and do suck. Not everyone but not everyone fits into that mold.

:popcorn:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom