• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    To all owners of the Walther PPS...share with me your thoughts on it. Thinking about getting one for summer carry because of it's slim profile being it's a single stack. I was contemplating on a Kahr P9 or PM9 as well but I do like Walthers.

Not only that but I have had a K9 before which I disliked due to the weight and Kahr's just seem to be a pain to field strip. Pretty much need a hammer to drive out the slide stop. But I'm still comparing the P series to the Walther because of how much lighter they are then the K series.

Any thoughts shared would be appreciated. My usual CC gun during summer is a G26 but again I would like something thinner so if anyone could tell me how the recoil and trigger compares to the G26 with the PPS it would be a big help on my decision.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Not sure what I can add that you can't find on internet. It's a great firearm for carry. Mine is a 9, I use the 7 rd mag., came with a 6 rd also. Comes with interchangeable back straps. Very comfortable to carry. Less than an inch thick. I use a Desantis IWB holster.

The ONLY reason I would get rid of it would be to get one in a .40 S&W cal., because I have 2 other firearms in .40.

The mag release is situated on either side of the trigger guard. Thought I would have trouble with that, but was very easy to use. Easy to strip and clean.

Don't overthink this decision, just buy it!

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Didn't like mine, and subsequently sold it. The balance just wasn't quite rite for me, and I could not shoot it well consistently. I did not feel comfortable carrying it so it went to a new home..

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The PPS is a great pistol. It is easy to shoot well, maintain, and carry IWB.

But, IMO it has a few downsides. Extra magazines are more expensive, its a little big for a pocket gun and, it weighs as much as your G26.

So, depending on your intended use for the Wather, the PM9 may be a better option.

Both are great pistols, good luck with your decision.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I like the PPS and it's my main EDC; very reliable and easy to point/shoot in a hurry. If I take just a second longer to aim...it's super accurate for such a short barrel. It's slim enough to let me carry OWB and not print too bad.

The only downside to my style is the mag release...it takes a lot of training to break the thumb mash instinct and sometimes still push with my thumb before sweeping down with the index finger.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only downside to my style is the mag release...it takes a lot of training to break the thumb mash instinct and sometimes still push with my thumb before sweeping down with the index finger.

That's the downside to me, and what keeps me from considering some Walthers or H&K. I have way too much ingrained instinct of stabbing for the mag release on all my other pistols to switch to a trigger guard mounted release.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I have the PPS in 9mm. I actually prefer the ambidextrous lever mag release on this pistol versus most others with a button. I also like the grip angle better than my Glock 19. It also seems like I am about as accurate with the PPS as with the somewhat larger 19. So overall I can't really complain about anything. I also have a Ruger LCP for pocket carry...you would need cargo shorts or something to carry the PPS that way, otherwise it's IWB.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Didn't like mine, and subsequently sold it. The balance just wasn't quite rite for me, and I could not shoot it well consistently. I did not feel comfortable carrying it so it went to a new home..

This was my experience exactly. Very nice and well-made gun, it just didn't work for me. My other problem was the expensive magazines.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have owned both. I had Kahr PM9 and CM9. I did not care for the long pull trigger on the Kahrs. When pulling the trigger I was like when is this gun going to fire! Maybe just me. With the PPS the trigger is much better and handles recoil better.The Kahr you could pocket carry but the PPS is A little to big in my opinion. Both are fine guns for conceal carry. Maybe you can shoot both before buying.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    For the small single stack category, I tried the PPS, immediately didn't like it. Didn't like the grip or the trigger, and didn't shoot well at all with it.

Then I tried the PM9, liked it, used it for a while.

Then the M&P Shield came out and I liked that better than the PM9. For about a year now I have carried the Shield for times that require a smaller pistol ( I'm wearing a tshirt or tucked in polo shirt. )

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    My winter carry is a PPS in 9mm.
    I have shot about 250 rounds thru it so far and I really like it.
    I think the grip feels good to me and I like the trigger on it.
    The mag release take a bit of time to get used to, but I am getting used to it the more I use it.
    I find follow up shots are easy and the recoil is fair.
    Mags are the real issue.
    Nothing wrong with them except that they are hard to track down and when you find them, they will be expensive.
    I have only found one spare in my wanderings and I scooped it up right away, didn't even haggle on it.
    I am pleased with my PPS, I can shoot it well and I carry it discretly.
    And in the end, that is all that matters to me.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I have a PPS9, a CM9 and at one time I had a PM9. If you like the shorter Glock trigger, which I do, you will like the PPS. The CM9 has a long, but smooth trigger pull. Magazines are easier to come by but magazines are also the Achilles heal of the CM9. My 7-round magazine wouldn't feed correctly until I sanded the follower per some instructions I found on Kahr Talk. I traded the PM9 but kept the CM9. I haven't carried it in a long time since I can easily conceal my G26 and G19 in the appendix position. I kept the CM9 in case there is a time that I need it for some particular occasion or possibly pocket-carry.

Sterndern11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2018
    Zionsville
    I currently own a PPS M2. I had a Walther CCP before it and I purchased that about 15 minutes after I picked it up, stuck to my hand like glue like nothing else Id ever picked up. But after more use I hated the takedown and how quickly it got dirty, and it never seemed to be 100% reliable (every 500-900 rounds of different bulk I would have some varying issue). So I sold it and went to the PPS M2 because it seemed to be the right directional step, easy take down, supposedly more reliable, a little smaller, more typical action type, and factory night sights. But I will sell my PPS M2 as well because it has always had an assortment of issues. A fully loaded magazine never seems to fully seat even when pounded home like the hammer of Thor, and is easily ejected with my normal grip (maybe a training issue but I wont train around one gun when everything else works perfectly with the same technique). And it just doesn't fit my hand like I thought it would, nothing like the perfect CCP (my fault for buying online without handling). The trigger is the best of the bunch to me of the Shield - glock 42 - pps but that may be the only thing I really like about it. And the new 365 is not comfortable in my hand but beats the PPS M2 in every other regard for me and has a superior trigger to any of those 3. YMMV

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    PPS M2 is my summer IWB carry. Conceals well with summer garb, easy to shoot, accurate when you do your job. Not sure you can ask for more out of a carry pistol.

I have a CW9 for pocket carry when I can't carry IWB (tucked shirt and no overshirt). Trigger is totally different and takes some getting used to. Same for sights. Took me awhile to get used to dotting the "i" instead of lining up the dots. Still thinking about replacing them...

Rent a PPS and see what you think of it.

Sdleach08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2018
    Greenwood
    Similar in size and shape to Shield. I like the grip a little better. I like the Walther trigger more. Rent it at Point Blank and see how it shoots.

Top Bottom