Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ind. Courts - "Teen to be tried in bomb threats"
    Here is a July 8th story from Wired.

thanks for the follow up, Sarge.

I think the kid should be prosecuted, and get a fair trial, back in Raleigh. If guilty, then he should sit in a cell for a few months (he's got some time served now). What is the appropriate reparation and punishment for empty, hollow threats over the internet committed by some little punk teenager (home-schooled to boot)?

the handling of the arrest could have easily been done by a single sheriff's deputy. the Jack-Boot techniques and the jailing of the kid 700+ miles away from home have nothing to do with justice and all to do with establishing the precedent under the PATRIOT Act. imho.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I'm sure finity will be to justify the detention of this kid while railing on our treatment of terrorists on foreign soil.

Dang how did I miss this the first time around?

I think you have no idea about anything I will say. If you have read anything from me I constantly fall on the side of individual rights. The PATRIOT (ha!) Act was terrible & shouldn't have been passed (twice).

I have been saying this for months now and that this was going to happen to some of us. We have no rights! All the government has to say is you are a terrorist and then your rights will be stripped from you and you will be imprisoned.

Yep. Whether it is a Democrat or a Republican the temptation is there to use this law against us & has been already on several occasions (even more from the last administration than this one - so far).

Unfortunately the people in power now are (in almost every case) worse in every regard than their predecessors. And that's saying something.

The big problem with the Patriot Act wasn't how it was intended or used during the time of the previous administration, but rather the potential for abuse that will become fully realized during this administration and those to follow.

I think you must have been asleep for the last several years in order to seriously make the above statements. It was never intended to be used honorably by the last administration (the ones who passed it into law). It was intended to used exactly as it is being used now.

You see? This guy gets it. In everything, the problem is not the "thing" its the "people that use the thing". Some of you may have heard the phrase "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." Well, the patriot act doesn't abuse people's rights, a tyrannical government does.

But, regardless, have any of you every thought that this kid might actually be GUILTY? I'm just saying, he might be. The problem is, we may never know. Thats the deal with Habeas Corpus... It cuts down on that BS.

Basically, we have a fine government. We just need more honesty, integrity and transparency. All the laws in the world won't help anyone if they aren't followed or people just make stuff up. Vote for honest men and the laws won't matter because they'll always use them for good.

What's the point of the PATRIOT Act giving the government the tools to do the things its now allowed to do in accordance with the act if a "good" government would never use them if the people who passed it into law were the "good" ones. You really think that the last administration was that shortsighted that they didn't know what they were doing with this law?

The loss of rights is a problem. No matter what...The fact is that in the name of security our rights were given away. Under the premise that we will be safer... A larger government was created under a "conservative" so we could be safer... The patriot act violates people's rights because the power was given to THE GOVERNMENT. They don't have to be tyrannical governement to trample your rights. They did it with a smile when they signed this into law. And now that someone else is using it you don't want to be around anymore? What happend to all the fear? Where is everone defending it so "we don't have another 9/11?"

Is the patriot act now a bad thing because a republican isn't in office? We have went over countless people whom have been jailed, unjustly, under the patriot act before and people defended it. Now that Obama is doing this it's bad? It was a republican baby from the start. And now they want to cry foul. It should have never been enacted in the first place.

Let the terrorists come. I will not sacrafice my liberties so people can live fat, dumb, and happy inside their cubicles everyday.

+1000000000....

I don't care if he is guilty or not I want civil rights protected.

+100000...

Top Bottom