Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    No they are not gone!
    BUT THEY SHOULD BE!

Here are the 2 from Indiana and how they voted,
    Indiana:Bayh (D-IN), YeaLugar (R-IN), Yea

Most of them are still there and here is the COMPLETE list of who did and who didn't vote for the "Patriot Act"

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Great post. It really shows you how corrupt both parties are. Well, except for Feingold. You know, the Democrat from Wisconsin.

You see? This guy gets it. In everything, the problem is not the "thing" its the "people that use the thing". Some of you may have heard the phrase "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." Well, the patriot act doesn't abuse people's rights, a tyrannical government does.

The loss of rights is a problem. No matter what. I don't care if a "conservative" president went out and stripped "terrorists" of their rights. The fact is that in the name of security our rights were given away. Under the premise that we will be safer. Screw that. A larger government was created under a "conservative" so we could be safer. Screw that. The patriot act violates people's rights because the power was given to THE GOVERNMENT. They don't have to be tyrannical governement to trample your rights. They did it with a smile when they signed this into law. And now that someone else is using it you don't want to be around anymore? What happend to all the fear? Where is everone defending it so "we don't have another 9/11?"

Is the patriot act now a bad thing because a republican isn't in office? We have went over countless people whom have been jailed, unjustly, under the patriot act before and people defended it. Now that Obama is doing this it's bad? It was a republican baby from the start. And now they want to cry foul. It should have never been enacted in the first place.

Let the terrorists come. I will not sacrafice my liberties so people can live fat, dumb, and happy inside their cubicles everyday.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    This scares me, I couldn't imagine being woke up by a fleet of Feds. Not to mention most of us would probably be wielding a weapon in defense of our families not even knowing it is the law. They'd shoot you dead.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Ugh. If that story is true, that kid will be looking through cell bars until he is 18.

Not to mention all those who engaged in a criminal conspiracy by offering payment to make the calls. The mom is unspeakably complacent about all his criminal activities. :nuts:

And they're seeking to charges as an adult so that's potentially past 18.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Ooh, Carmel, I didn't see that part in the story. Yes, he may be in jail for quite a while.

I also hate to hear a parent say something to the effect of, "I never really knew what he was doing in his room. I just knew that he was on the computer all the time." As a parent that tries to know what my son is doing with the majority of his time, that raises the hair on the back of my neck. If I remember correctly, one of the Columbine H.S. shooters' parents said nearly that same sentiment.

This "kid" has a long legal road ahead of him.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, it may be that he is guilty. We do not know. There has been no trial, no due process. He has been scooted away without access to counsel. He has been carted off like a terrorist for allegedly making prank calls. Does it take a dozen FBI agents to arrest an unarmed kid? Come on. This is abuse of the power of the Federal Government. At most he should be in his local sheriff's tank or county juvee. This is insane.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Culpepper, from the way I read it, he HAS had access to counsel as he has been in front of a judge three times (I think it was) already. But again, maybe I read it wrong. :)

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Gentlemen it may be time to consider the very real possibility that we have already waited too long, and that we will never get our country back. I honestly think this may be the case. The end game has been being run right under our noses and we have been too blind to see it. The America our forefathers founded has long since gone by the wayside.

They will pacify the general public just enough to avoid armed revolt and continue chipping away at what few rights we have left until we have no rights or means to revolt... Game Over...:xmad:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Umm... Chefcook? I found this laying near your firing lane when you left a while ago...

UN_Blue_Helmet.jpg

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yes, it may be that he is guilty. We do not know. There has been no trial, no due process. He has been scooted away without access to counsel. He has been carted off like a terrorist for allegedly making prank calls. Does it take a dozen FBI agents to arrest an unarmed kid? Come on. This is abuse of the power of the Federal Government. At most he should be in his local sheriff's tank or county juvee. This is insane.

I'm not as sanguine about his activities. He was making bomb threats (I don't have to give him a presumption of innocence, I'm not involved in the proceedings). His idiot mother made pretty damning admissions. This is not a victimless crime, it is a very messy and expensive crime for the local governments that have to send out police and fire responders. He has counsel according to reports. His committed a crime that has been on the books 70 years, this has nothing to do with the PATRIOT Act, he just had some good spinmeisters but it's unraveling now. I have little sympathy for him.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not as sanguine about his activities. He was making bomb threats (I don't have to give him a presumption of innocence, I'm not involved in the proceedings). His idiot mother made pretty damning admissions. This is not a victimless crime, it is a very messy and expensive crime for the local governments that have to send out police and fire responders. He has counsel according to reports. His committed a crime that has been on the books 70 years, this has nothing to do with the PATRIOT Act, he just had some good spinmeisters but it's unraveling now. I have little sympathy for him.
    I hear ya. But a dozen agents and two state policemen? You think they really thought he had bomb material? I think they were using a heavy hand to make a point. Incarcerate him in IN, 800 miles from his mother? Looks like the reports are pretty conflicting as well. Just because "WIRED" says something, doesn't make it true.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I would like to see some more media coverage. Why haven't more TV stations in the state picked up on this? Why has there not been a story on a arrest in a case involving a bomb threat at Purdue?

This kid may be very guilty, but one story does not convince me that due process has been correctly applied here. The due process is my biggest concern I don't care if he is guilty or not I want civil rights protected.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Gentlemen it may be time to consider the very real possibility that we have already waited too long, and that we will never get our country back. I honestly think this may be the case. The end game has been being run right under our noses and we have been too blind to see it. The America our forefathers founded has long since gone by the wayside.

They will pacify the general public just enough to avoid armed revolt and continue chipping away at what few rights we have left until we have no rights or means to revolt... Game Over...:xmad:

I really wish Chefcook was wrong, but most likely he is spot-on right. Sad day.

Anyway, repped for accuracy.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    You know... I have no regards to the well-being of this kid, if he's guilty.

Like Carmel, I have no reservations to presumptions that he's innocent. The fact that his mother was complacent in these incidents, and the fact that there's probably enough evidence with this 'Tyrone' fellow, I'd call him good as guilty.

I don't care what his mother says, either. Mother's word is next to nothing for an alibi in court. I'm sure he was at church/going to church/getting a hotdog when the crank calls occurred.

The fact is: she admits to his wrong-doing, and admits to knowing about it. Of course, assuming Wired is correct in all of this.

And, if they are, this kid needs to be charged to the fullest extent of the law. Furthermore, it's people like him, stupid and juvenile, that set up precedents for our rights to be screwed more and more.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Follow UP

Ind. Courts - "Teen to be tried in bomb threats"

Some quotes from this story today by Anne Blythe of the Raleigh NC News & Observer:
    Federal prosecutors say a teenager from Oxford is a celebrity in an online prankster world in which conspirators, for nominal fees, make bomb threats to high schools, universities, federal offices and other places and then broadcast the results live to a select audience.
    In indictments issued this week by a federal grand jury in Indiana, prosecutors accuse Ashton Lundeby, 16, of making or helping make bomb threats in at least a dozen states from his home computer since last year. In some cases, prosecutors say, Lundeby and unnamed co-conspirators would collect fees to lodge bomb threats at high schools and middle schools with the goal of closing school for the day.
    Federal prosecutors call it "Swatting," the act of making a false emergency report that frequently prompts responses from special weapons and tactics, or SWAT, teams. They say Lundeby and the co-conspirators used pseudonyms and elaborate computer gaming techniques to disguise their voices and identities, then transmit threats and watch live through video surveillance and webcams as law enforcement teams responded.
    Lundeby, a homeschooled boy arrested March 5 in his Oxford home and taken to Indiana, is being tried as an adult in federal court, though under federal law he is considered a juvenile. He is scheduled to go before a federal magistrate in Indiana today. * * *
    According to the indictments, Lundeby is accused of making a bomb threat to Purdue University on Feb. 15 and to Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne on Jan. 31. He also is accused of conspiring to make bomb threats and conveying false information over the Internet and telephone lines from mid-2008 to March 6.
    Here is a July 8th story from Wired.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ind. Courts - "Teen to be tried in bomb threats"

Some quotes from this story today by Anne Blythe of the Raleigh NC News & Observer:
    Federal prosecutors say a teenager from Oxford is a celebrity in an online prankster world in which conspirators, for nominal fees, make bomb threats to high schools, universities, federal offices and other places and then broadcast the results live to a select audience.
    In indictments issued this week by a federal grand jury in Indiana, prosecutors accuse Ashton Lundeby, 16, of making or helping make bomb threats in at least a dozen states from his home computer since last year. In some cases, prosecutors say, Lundeby and unnamed co-conspirators would collect fees to lodge bomb threats at high schools and middle schools with the goal of closing school for the day.
    Federal prosecutors call it "Swatting," the act of making a false emergency report that frequently prompts responses from special weapons and tactics, or SWAT, teams. They say Lundeby and the co-conspirators used pseudonyms and elaborate computer gaming techniques to disguise their voices and identities, then transmit threats and watch live through video surveillance and webcams as law enforcement teams responded.
    Lundeby, a homeschooled boy arrested March 5 in his Oxford home and taken to Indiana, is being tried as an adult in federal court, though under federal law he is considered a juvenile. He is scheduled to go before a federal magistrate in Indiana today. * * *
    According to the indictments, Lundeby is accused of making a bomb threat to Purdue University on Feb. 15 and to Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne on Jan. 31. He also is accused of conspiring to make bomb threats and conveying false information over the Internet and telephone lines from mid-2008 to March 6.
    Here is a July 8th story from Wired.

Thanks for the follow up.

My question is what "Gaming techniques" can you use to disguise your voice with? At least they didn't call him a computer hacker or cyber terrorist...:dunno:

On second thought, they outta hire this kid to test the SWAT Team's response times and techniques. Sounds like he's got some skills they could use...

Top Bottom