• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Like it or not, Taurus has a much higher failure rate than many of it's competitors. As posted already, ask anyone who sells firearms what go's back the most for repairs.

Personally, I've had a couple, and 3 had issues. One was an early judge with timing issues, one was a 45lc pump with a huge burr in the rifling of the barrel from the factory, and another was a 1911 that the ambi safety arm broke on. Any manufacturer can have problems with a firearm, but Taurus is the only one to continuously fail for me.

So to answer the OP's original post, yes, Taurus sucks.

Scotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Anderson
    I have had good luck with the Taurus's I have had. I did have to send my PT-145 in for repair on the triger and they fixed it and mailed it back overnight in less than two weeks. All it cost me was shipping there. I thought that was pretty good service and warranty!:patriot:

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    I won't spend $300 dollars or more on something my life might depend on. If there's this many people that have had problems, and I've seen one first hand I won't be buying one any time soon. All I know is I've put tens of thousands of rounds through 7 different Glocks (department and personal) and have had zero problems (other than the occasional weak mag spring). Plus I've shot with upwards of 100 people on two different departments and have seen zero failures. Same goes for my kimber and beretta (both sold :::cries unconsolably:::) thanks for the opinions though. And I'm glad a few of you haven't had problems.

townmarshal

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    indy
    taurus failures

I once had a new model 85 which shot fine in single action but was out of time in double action and shaved the bullet badly and dangerously. Also a friend had a model 66 which went back 3 times, each for a different problem. Luckily I was able to have mine taken back by the dealer but my friend seems to be stuck with his.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Old story line that has been :horse: on :ingo:

Taurus is not perfect, but it has a great warranty. Taurus fixed my problems at their expense. Weapon is reliable and accurate. Other companies have problems, too.

You buy your ticket and take your ride. Life happens. When you find the perfect gun manufacturer, who never has a product fail in the field and always replaces the failure with a new piece without argument, let me know. I will never purchase from them because the prices will be astronomically expensive, far more than I will ever be able to afford, and their warranty will be useless after they go out of business because they can't turn a profit.

I use Taurus and Glock. I can afford them. They work for me. Nuff sed.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You bet I am. I read, read read before any major purchase and it is through that reading that I formulate an opinion. Is is called educating one's self. Are you saying I am not entitled to an opinion based on reading??? Based on what I have read they have WAY more problems than say S&W. Since when is someone not entitled to an opinion base on reading a LOT on the internet as well as talking to others. BTW - my brother owns one - I will never buy taurus.

I never said you where not entitled to you opinion. No matter what forums you go on, or what media you read. You are always going to have fan boys, who will say brand A sucks, and brand B is better. I will never discredit a firearm, unless I have trigger time behind it. Also, as said before, everyone makes a lemon from time to time, Even S&W.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Why not just spend a little more and get a quality gun like Ruger, S&W,Springfield Armory, Colt or Glock. I have owned a Taurus and was not happy with it, will not buy another. I suppose there are some good ones out of the box but seen and heard too many complaints about reliability and that is enough for me.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I went shooting with a friend of mine last week. We brought a wide variety of weapons including his "new" Taurus that he had gotten a day or two earlier. I'm not sure the exact model. It was a hammerless .357 in stainless steel or nickel. (I'm a glock guy so i don't know it was shiny). Anyways we fired less than fifty rounds through it of both .357 and .38 Special. During a reload the cylinder feel to the ground along with a small spring and a small rectangular piece. He got it back together but the cylinder wouldn't stay in place, it just kept spinning. Needless to say it wasn't fired anymore that day. Is this a common trend with Taurus or just a failure of his particular gun?

Taurus a imitation of a SMITH & WESSON:D

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    From personal experience I've seen the quality vary WILDLY in Taurus handguns. Some are ok, others looks absolutely horrible.

It seems that as tooling wears they are slow to repair/replace the tooling. Other times they have bit speeds way off which causes chattering and uneven cuts. Here's an example:

100652876.jpg

Another example of machining issues:

100652879.jpg

Other times you'll see impact marks from seating pins.

100652861.jpg

It's just plain shoddy machine and assembly work.

They've even done things like misspelled "magnum" on a run of pistols.

DSC00493.jpg

Other times you won't see any evidence of these QC issues. It's a total crap shoot. If you get a good one, it can be an outstanding pistol. If you get a Friday gun, it can have some serious problems.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You asked if taurus sucks or just a lemon. My answer is from all my reading taurus does indeed suck. In the interest of full disclosure I have never owned one. The reason is all the bad I have read about them. Furthermore where pre-lock smith and wesson revolvers go up in value if cared for a taurus never will appreciate IMHO:twocents:

You have never owned one, but you are going to throw judgment?

Hence the major problem, people are quick to say something sucks when they never owned it or used one and rely on another individuals "expert advice" and that expert advice came from reading in a internet forum.

It's the classic....

I heard from my fathers mechanics priest that his alter boys mom's milkman's neighbors son that know some homeless guy that heard it from some crazy women he met in a psycho ward who knows some hill jack redneck that lives in ten buck too who's buddies father is a butcher that over heard a guy talking about some Taurus product that he was thinking about buying, but is not now because of some advice he read on an internet forum.

I truly find it amazing that I constantly read about how much so called "junk" Taurus puts out, but in the five "5" Taurus products I've owned, not one ever malfunctioned or ever had a problem with and this was 5 different models of semi auto pistols.

Heck with all the spew you'd figured that if they made such a bad product that at least one of the 5 I've owned, the 2 my friend owns, the 3 my brother in law owns or the one my father in laws, at least one would have had a problem.

Guess what, not one problem at all, nada, zilch, negative, NONE!! I've been a proud Taurus owner for 11 years, still have my original Taurus PT 940 sitting beside the bed each night and have an Taurus PT 809 as my EDC.

People need to stop and think, if Taurus really put out a product as bad as a lot of people claim it to be, they would have been out of business a long time ago.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Taurus has a great warranty, but it's sad that you have to use it in the first place.

I would not trust my life to a Taurus product.

Sending a pistol back to Taurus has the hidden cost of about $50 to overnight through UPS. So it's not really "free" work.

Their quality control is crap.

Been there, done that.

If someone is lured in by their pricing I would strongly suggest to look at an imported surplus pistol before going with Taurus or a used pistol from a more reputable company (ie police trade-in Glock).

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've had 3 Taurus guns...and got rid of all 3 of them (2 of the 3 had 'issues' is all I'll say)! My Ruger's...have not had a single issue!

Recently, a friend of mine (who thought the world of Taurus) shot a few .38+P's through my 3" SP101...and promptly bought one in .327mag. She then purchased a 4" SP101 in .22lr. She's now looking around for a nice used 2.25" in .357mag! Once she actually shot the Ruger, her exclaimation was, "Wow, there is a HUGE difference between the Taurus and a Ruger!" I'm having fun helping her shop!!!

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Hence the major problem, people are quick to say something sucks when they never owned it or used one and rely on another individuals "expert advice" and that expert advice came from reading in a internet forum.

It's the classic....

I heard from my fathers mechanics priest that his alter boys mom's milkman's neighbors son that know some homeless guy that heard it from some crazy women he met in a psycho ward who knows some hill jack redneck that lives in ten buck too who's buddies father is a butcher that over heard a guy talking about some Taurus product that he was thinking about buying, but is not now because of some advice he read on an internet forum.

I truly find it amazing that I constantly read about how much so called "junk" Taurus puts out, but in the five "5" Taurus products I've owned, not one ever malfunctioned or ever had a problem with and this was 5 different models of semi auto pistols.

Heck with all the spew you'd figured that if they made such a bad product that at least one of the 5 I've owned, the 2 my friend owns, the 3 my brother in law owns or the one my father in laws, at least one would have had a problem.

Guess what, not one problem at all, nada, zilch, negative, NONE!! I've been a proud Taurus owner for 11 years, still have my original Taurus PT 940 sitting beside the bed each night and have an Taurus PT 809 as my EDC.

People need to stop and think, if Taurus really put out a product as bad as a lot of people claim it to be, they would have been out of business a long time ago.

I don't know....quite a few former Taurus owners speaking out here. So much for the milkman priest homeless crazy hill jack theory.

I find it amazing that you know of multiple Taurus products that have never given a problem. Kinda like wondering how Wilt Chamberlain never got AIDS. :):

Taurus being in business has no bearing of the quality of their products. Some people buy guns based on price, shoot a couple of boxes a year through them, and leave them in a drawer or closet the rest of the year. Most Taurus guns are probably not going to give you any problems sitting in a drawer.

Note the lack of Taurus guns issued to or chosen by people who actually depend on them for a living. You'd think they'd win every government contract they bid for, with their pricing. Such is not the case, however, and for a very good reason. The pictures of their horrible machining in another post says it all. These aren't professional grade guns.

"Every manufacturer makes a lemon" does not excuse the consistent quality control problems that Taurus has a well-deserved reputation for. Some gun manufacturers are definitely better than others, and saving $100-200 by buying a second-tier gun for defensive purposes is a false economy.

Range toy? No problem. Serious defensive tool? No way.

And even for a range toy, I'd look elsewhere. I don't like my guns going to Florida more than I do. :):

:twocents:

Top Bottom