• DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Obviously owns a Taurus...

Hence the major problem, people are quick to say something sucks when they never owned it or used one and rely on another individuals "expert advice" and that expert advice came from reading in a internet forum.

It's the classic....

I heard from my fathers mechanics priest that his alter boys mom's milkman's neighbors son that know some homeless guy that heard it from some crazy women he met in a psycho ward who knows some hill jack redneck that lives in ten buck too who's buddies father is a butcher that over heard a guy talking about some Taurus product that he was thinking about buying, but is not now because of some advice he read on an internet forum.

I truly find it amazing that I constantly read about how much so called "junk" Taurus puts out, but in the five "5" Taurus products I've owned, not one ever malfunctioned or ever had a problem with and this was 5 different models of semi auto pistols.

Heck with all the spew you'd figured that if they made such a bad product that at least one of the 5 I've owned, the 2 my friend owns, the 3 my brother in law owns or the one my father in laws, at least one would have had a problem.

Guess what, not one problem at all, nada, zilch, negative, NONE!! I've been a proud Taurus owner for 11 years, still have my original Taurus PT 940 sitting beside the bed each night and have an Taurus PT 809 as my EDC.

People need to stop and think, if Taurus really put out a product as bad as a lot of people claim it to be, they would have been out of business a long time ago.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Obviously owns a Taurus...

Ya, sure do, my PT-809 is reaching about the 5000 round mark, used it HandK's CQB class twice and performed flawlessly both times, I've only had 1 FTE and that was ammo related.

I've owned 2 Springfield 1911's a Sig Saur P229 (regret selling this but am buying it back from a relative) Beretta 92 and a Glock that were my dad's and each and every time I keep staying with my Taurus's.

People can say all they want, but I continue to have no problems with any Taurus product I've owned, this includes my first one, a Taurus PT-940 purchased in 2001.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Taurus quality control is pretty sad from what I've seen. I had a model 85 once that's charge holes were sooooo OVER-sized that bullets were KEY-HOLING into paper targets at 25 feet!

Sometimes you DO get what you pay for. Better to pay a little more and get a Ruger or an older PRE-LOCK S&W.....at least as far as revolvers go.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Shot my tarrus millenium PT111 today for the first time at the range.. Put fifty rounds threw it with no problems. I've heard alot of bad things about taurus but I like the gun so far. They have a lifetime warrently so thats a plus. The trigger pulls pretty long, and the springs in the mags are kinda stiffer than others. I heard the millenium is difficult to field strip but after a few mins of tinkering with the gun I could disassemble it fairly quick and easy. For the money it seems like a good buy. No complaint so far! =)

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    I've owned 3 different Taurus revolvers through the years and currently own zero.

Model 94 3" stainless from the mid 90's (if I remember correctly) that had 2 of the 9 chambers out of alignment and would shave lead. Taurus replaced the cylinder and I sold it for a Ruger Single Six that I still have.

Model 85 stainless from early 2000's. Cylinder bound up (bent crane) and locked it up tight after about 150 rounds. Taurus fixed it and traded it in for a S&W 642 that I still have.

Attempt 2 for a Model 94. 4" blued made in 2010. Shot fine after I moved the rear sight WAY right. No mechanical issues but I sold it very recently because the finish was unappealing (read: very thick semigloss house paint) and the trigger pull in DA was a gritty 18 pounds and produced light strikes with a lighter spring. I am currently looking for a 22 caliber SP101 or S&W 317.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Man, my older PT-111 Millennium has worked fine for me for a long time.:D
    I take that back - I think I'm having extraction problems. :xmad: I had some problems at the range today. Three different kinds of ammo that it is used to. Maybe its time to get rid of it for a nice Beretta Sub-Gun chambered in 9mm.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Taurus guns are junk, if you ask me. I've owned 3, all of them with problems. A PT-145 that wouldn't feed ball ammo, a model 85 snub with cylinder binding after about 50 rounds, and a PT738 that broke the mag release about 20 shots into its first outing. That doesn't count the .44 special snub (can't remember the model number) that arrived at my FFL COVERED in rust.

Eff Taurus. Seriously. If you ever get to know someone who works in a high volume gun shop, ask them which manufacturer they have to constantly send guns back to for repairs. (Both semiautos AND revolvers)

:twocents:
    My first revolver was a Taurus 85. LOVED that gun so much that I also got a Taurus .357 with 4" barrel and got a CA SS .38 snubby (which merged with Taurus wheel guns IIRC).
    I blew countless numbers of rounds through that 85 with NEVER a problem. Only probably 300 of the rounds were commercial and all the rest were reloads. (I typically would only shoot 50-200 rounds through the snubby at a single shooting session).

I understand there are quality issues with some of their semi-autos, but their wheel guns are pretty solid from my experience.

Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Ive never been a huge fan of the Taurus line! Ive heard good things about them though. Have shot several of there revolvers and was very pleased. Im a S&W guy all day though. Can't beat made in USA!

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Taurus for me is not a option, I just don't like the taurus line of firearms. I have owned a few and eventually traded them for better guns in my opinion. The recent quality of taurus products that I have seen has led me to believe taurus is just not up to par. I have seen new revolvers with metal shavings in them. Cylinders locking up and not aligning right either. The magazines for some of their semi-autos are failing also. If your taurus works and has been fine, then by all means keep it and be proud. I just always give a little buyer beware when someone looks at a taurus for a firearm.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Hence the major problem, people are quick to say something sucks when they never owned it or used one and rely on another individuals "expert advice" and that expert advice came from reading in a internet forum.

It's the classic....

I heard from my fathers mechanics priest that his alter boys mom's milkman's neighbors son that know some homeless guy that heard it from some crazy women he met in a psycho ward who knows some hill jack redneck that lives in ten buck too who's buddies father is a butcher that over heard a guy talking about some Taurus product that he was thinking about buying, but is not now because of some advice he read on an internet forum.

I truly find it amazing that I constantly read about how much so called "junk" Taurus puts out, but in the five "5" Taurus products I've owned, not one ever malfunctioned or ever had a problem with and this was 5 different models of semi auto pistols.

Heck with all the spew you'd figured that if they made such a bad product that at least one of the 5 I've owned, the 2 my friend owns, the 3 my brother in law owns or the one my father in laws, at least one would have had a problem.

Guess what, not one problem at all, nada, zilch, negative, NONE!! I've been a proud Taurus owner for 11 years, still have my original Taurus PT 940 sitting beside the bed each night and have an Taurus PT 809 as my EDC.

People need to stop and think, if Taurus really put out a product as bad as a lot of people claim it to be, they would have been out of business a long time ago.

Your talking about 10 guns out of the bazillion that Taurus has made. Sure, some are going to be great, but I guarantee they have made a lot of turds, due to poor quality control.

Taurus is successful because their firearms look just like the other ones @ the gun shop, only priced $100 or more less. I admit their making some really original stuff, like the judges, raging bulls, etc..., but my experience with them has been pretty poor.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I don't think they feel good. The quality doesn't seem there, the triggers are usually bad, and I've seen many that have had to be returned.

My neighbor had one for about two weeks before he sold it, it was a compact .45 acp. The first mag he ever put through it, it stovepiped. Next mag, same thing. When I shot it, one mag was fine but the next one stovepiped once.

It was inaccurate, and just didn't feel right.

I don't want to say they suck, but in my opinion the quality isn't there.

But everyone has their prejudice; many love them, I don't.

I will give Taurus one thing though. A Beretta 92 has a plastic guide rod, a Taurus has a metal guide rod. In my book, metal is better than plastic.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't think they feel good. The quality doesn't seem there, the triggers are usually bad, and I've seen many that have had to be returned.

My neighbor had one for about two weeks before he sold it, it was a compact .45 acp. The first mag he ever put through it, it stovepiped. Next mag, same thing. When I shot it, one mag was fine but the next one stovepiped once.

It was inaccurate, and just didn't feel right.

I don't want to say they suck, but in my opinion the quality isn't there.

But everyone has their prejudice; many love them, I don't.

I will give Taurus one thing though. A Beretta 92 has a plastic guide rod, a Taurus has a metal guide rod. In my book, metal is better than plastic.

I have carried 92's with thousands of rounds through them, and never had an issue with the "plastic guide rods".

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Your talking about 10 guns out of the bazillion that Taurus has made. Sure, some are going to be great, but I guarantee they have made a lot of turds, due to poor quality control.

Taurus is successful because their firearms look just like the other ones @ the gun shop, only priced $100 or more less. I admit their making some really original stuff, like the judges, raging bulls, etc..., but my experience with them has been pretty poor.

Wow, I guess the amount of :poop: people that throw around about just how :poop:y Taurus's are, that out of 10 different Taurus firearms that the odds of getting a bad one should be very high. My point is, if people around here and all over the infamous internet speak so bad about how crappy they are, then at LEAST one of the 10 and 1 of the 5 I've owned should have been a dismal failure, so either me and my relatives and friend are either the luckiest SOB's on the face of the planet and should run out and purchase a lottery tickets right now, or we all bought a great product.
    I'm leaning towards a great product until one fails on me.

And as a little side note, there is 76 members in the INGO Taurus Owners Group, and amazingly not one of them has posted that they got a crappy one.

INGunOwners - INGO Taurus Owners

I can also also guarantee you that other handgun manufactures have put out a ton of turds, the difference is that because of Taurus's early problems it made it easy for people to biotch about it without the fear of being ridiculed, but just how many people out there got a bad S&W Sigma or other model or Glock, or Kimber who fail to speak up because they don't want people to know that they spent top $$$'s and got a crappy gun. Plenty of them, I know my old neighbor had a S&W that was a piece of turd and he hated talking about it because of the money he spent to buy it.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wow, I guess the amount of :poop: people that throw around about just how :poop:y Taurus's are, that out of 10 different Taurus firearms that the odds of getting a bad one should be very high. My point is, if people around here and all over the infamous internet speak so bad about how crappy they are, then at LEAST one of the 10 and 1 of the 5 I've owned should have been a dismal failure, so either me and my relatives and friend are either the luckiest SOB's on the face of the planet and should run out and purchase a lottery tickets right now, or we all bought a great product.
    I'm leaning towards a great product until one fails on me.

And as a little side note, there is 76 members in the INGO Taurus Owners Group, and amazingly not one of them has posted that they got a crappy one.

INGunOwners - INGO Taurus Owners

I can also also guarantee you that other handgun manufactures have put out a ton of turds, the difference is that because of Taurus's early problems it made it easy for people to biotch about it without the fear of being ridiculed, but just how many people out there got a bad S&W Sigma or other model or Glock, or Kimber who fail to speak up because they don't want people to know that they spent top $$$'s and got a crappy gun. Plenty of them, I know my old neighbor had a S&W that was a piece of turd and he hated talking about it because of the money he spent to buy it.

77...I just joined the Taurus club! :yesway: I've currently got a 24/7 OSS in .45 that I purchased new and a model 651 in .357 mag that I got used.

I love both guns. The OSS line is a good lookin' pistol that shoots even better than it looks and I've yet to have a malfunction. I trust my snubby 651 with my life.

I was originally pretty sketchy on Taurus, having read all of the horror stories about them here. But the 24/7 really caught my eye and I decided that I'd check it out for myself.

Taurus will also be getting more of my dollars in the future.

Top Bottom