• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Blame it on the manufacturer when it's a storage problem at the distributor.

I like products that can withstand sitting on a shelf without disintegrating. Even if you add a little humidity. Funny how Taurus is the only firearm that I have ever received covered in rust. And I've bought a lot of firearms from many different manufacturers.

This vehement defense of mediocrity blows my mind.

I bet you drive a Chrysler, don't you? :):

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I like products that can withstand sitting on a shelf without disintegrating. Even if you add a little humidity. Funny how Taurus is the only firearm that I have ever received covered in rust. And I've bought a lot of firearms from many different manufacturers.

This vehement defense of mediocrity blows my mind.

I bet you drive a Chrysler, don't you? :):

No, I drive an Isuzu Ascender that was manufactured in a General Motors plant in Moline, Ohio, which is really a GMC Envoy that has been re-badged. Sorta Like a Beretta 92 relabeled as a Taurus PT-92 with a better safety placement.:D

Defender of mediocrity, WOW I'm been classified as a lot of things but never that. Simple fact, I currently own FOUR Taurus products and sold my Taurus 1911 and PT-92 because I purchased other Taurus products, so according to yours and others factually (provide the numbers please) stated opinions of just how big a piece of crap that Taurus's are, at least one of mine and the dozens that my friends should be classified in one of the following categories:

Rusty
    Inoperable
    Breaking parts
    Falling apart
    Piece of :poop:

Guess what, none that I own or my family and friends own one that falls into that category, so I guess either myself and them are either the luckiest SOB's on the face of the earth or the biggest GD lairs that have ever walked around.

I also find it humorous that you can't fathom that the firearm was not shipped from Taurus rusted and can't accept that it could have happened at the distributor. I guess it's because you was able to watch it's entire traveling process and sit beside it as it left the factory to the distributor, and then gun shop. :dunno:

BTW just how long ago did you purchase this firearm?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Take your pick.

:cool:

You can't even admit that the rusted Taurus is even remotely the fault of the distributor, can't even answer when you bought it, I'd bet it was sometime right after the end of August 2005.

You sit right there in your chair with all your smugness and I'll continue to shoot my inferior (according to your standards) Taurus products and continue to watch them perform just like the day I bought them, trouble free.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I must be another very lucky SOB since none of my 5 Taurus handguns have ever malfunctioned. I only bought one of them new. There is also the possibility that they were broken while in the possession of the previous owner, sent back to the factory for repairs and then traded in to a gunshop before being sold to me after they came back from the factory. If Taurus products are that bad, why do the shops stock them or take them in trade or buy them outright? Why do they tell me how good they are when they are trying to sell me one? Why don't we all start to pick on Charles Daly products or Llamas or H&Rs? Some of the other handguns that I own are made by Ruger, Colt, S&W and Beretta so I do have something to compare my Tauruses to for construction and reliability.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I must be another very lucky SOB since none of my 5 Taurus handguns have ever malfunctioned. I only bought one of them new. There is also the possibility that they were broken while in the possession of the previous owner, sent back to the factory for repairs and then traded in to a gunshop before being sold to me after they came back from the factory. If Taurus products are that bad, why do the shops stock them or take them in trade or buy them outright? Why do they tell me how good they are when they are trying to sell me one? Why don't we all start to pick on Charles Daly products or Llamas or H&Rs? Some of the other handguns that I own are made by Ruger, Colt, S&W and Beretta so I do have something to compare my Tauruses to for construction and reliability.

Don't go bashing H&R...lol. I love my 922 that I got for $50, spent $22 on a new part, and now it functions flawlessly.
    Btw. Don't tell anyone else, I own Rugers also. My Taurus functions like butter. The best part is, I picked it up used. Probably someone elses return that they didn't bother to break in or sent back to Taurus for repairs and then traded or sold. I can only say thanks for giving me such a great deal.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    It took Taurus 6 weeks to repair my PT738, which snapped the mag release after a few shots on its first outing. I dumped it as soon as I got it back.

I refused delivery on the model 85 that I had asked a local gun shop to get for me, and told them to forget getting me another.

I traded the PT145 after reading of others with the same issues. After finally learning my lesson about Taurus products, I figured it wasn't worth my time and energy to deal with a manufacturer with a history of shoddy products.

Metal exposed to moisture rusts? No ****, Sherlock. This is why quality manufacturers use modern treatments and coatings (Tenifer, Melonite, etc.) to greatly enhance resistance to rust. I suppose my Glock doesn't know it's metal, since it refuses to rust, no matter what I do to it. Hell, it may even withstand being stored in a warehouse if need be. Impressive, eh? :):

Your Glock is mostly polymer.
    You had better not tell Les Brown, Kimber, Colt, Winchester, Remington, H&K, Sig Sauer, and Savage that only quality manufacturers use coatings on all their guns. All still offer blued steel weapons.
    Don't tell anyone that their old Winchester (with some rust) that is worth more than you make in a year is a worthless, non quality firearm. I bet you would trade it for a Glock anyway.!

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    The only H&R pistol that I have is the old Model 999, 9-shot .22. It has always been a pretty good gun. The only trouble that I ever had was keeping the rear sight tight with that silly double screw way of centering the rear blade. I bought it new at a place called the Bullet Hole in Greenwood probably more than 35 years ago.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have one Taurus 415 model 5 shot .41mag ported 2 1/2" inch barrel. For what it is it is accurate and comfortable to shoot, the internal lock is not intrusive so it has some good qualities. I have had problems with it twice and even though Taurus fixed it I don't have the confidence in it I do with my rugers or S&W. A friend of mine had a problem with a SA he bought. I will not buy another. Jim.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Every manufacturer does have problems but Taurus has way more than its share...remember Tommy Boy....its a guaranteed POS to make you feel all fuzzy and warm.... I have had a few...I no longer have any...

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    You never hear anyone say "I won't buy a Kimber, Glock, Springfield, Sig, etc.". You get what you pay for.

I hear people saying "I won't buy a glock" all the time. Don't you know those things EXPLODE?:nailbite:

Another GLOCK explosion!
    Haven Police Ditch Glocks After Two Explode | TheLedger.com
    Survivalist Forum
    Police Issue Glock 45acp Explodes in officers hands - Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN
    Glock Explodes in Deputy's Hand - Maryland ShootersGlock 21 Explodes In Deputy's Hand

I could sit and post links like that all day, but I'm currently at work. And despite all that, I have several friends with different model Glocks that they swear by, and (wouldn't cha know it) not a one of them has ever exploded. They must either be lucky, or GD liars.

In my book, that's exactly what all this Taurus bashing is. As anyone who knows a thing about actual scientific research will tell you, anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all (and often points in the wrong direction.) I've owned the same Taurus wheelgun for years now, and never had a single issue with it, so that's fine by me. So I'll leave you to make your own firearm decisions, and you can leave me to mine. :twocents:

Last edited:

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a Taurus PT111 Pro that I got at the beginning of this year and have put over 500 rounds through it. I have put steel cased Tulammo through it and some various brass cased rounds, the only problem I have had is when letting a buddy shoot it (left-handed) his finger rests on the mag release so when he shot the mag release was engaged and it didn't feed the next round because the mag wasn't seated right.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I bought my mom a Taurus TCP .380 brand new. First clip, first attempt to chamber, the gun would not chamber period. It was almost as if the bullet was too big. Obviously I didn't buy the wrong ammo. I called Taurus, they told me to send it in. I did and received it about a month later. It would chamber, but barely. Needless to say, I am never buying another Taurus. Not saying that all Taurus guns are junk, but 1st impressions go a long way. The biggest problem is my mom needed this gun ASAP for home protection from a crazy ex-boyfriend stalker. When she needed it the most, it was sitting @ Taurus waiting to be repaired. (EPIC FAIL)

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I own 2 Taurus handguns, one is a 357 revolver and a PT-92. Both are accurate. Goes bang when I need it to. The only problem I ever had was the front sight retaining pin on my revolver kept walking out but a little loctite fixed that. I have the PT-92 set up with a tactical light and is now my nightstand pistol.

JCAJR30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Union County
    I owned a PT111 --> My boss told me that his had the lower and upper seperate during rapid fire... Coincidence? Not worth the risk to me. I sold mine.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    From what I've learned, everyone has their own preference on what brands they like the most. The only way to see what you like is too try em!!! Some people like Ford, some people like Chevy, just a difference in taste!!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The only experience I have had with a Taurus revolver was great. It belonged to my boss, and he DID NOT take very good care of it. Naturally, it had rust, grime and everything else you can imagine. It fired every time. The cylinder cycled properly. It was accurate.

I had a Taurus PT99 that was not so good and I currently own a PT145 MilPro and it is great. I love the MilPro, actually, and I have never said that about any Taurus. I use it daily for CC and my Glocks sit idle.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I bought my mom a Taurus TCP .380 brand new. First clip, first attempt to chamber, the gun would not chamber period. It was almost as if the bullet was too big. Obviously I didn't buy the wrong ammo. I called Taurus, they told me to send it in. I did and received it about a month later. It would chamber, but barely. Needless to say, I am never buying another Taurus. Not saying that all Taurus guns are junk, but 1st impressions go a long way. The biggest problem is my mom needed this gun ASAP for home protection from a crazy ex-boyfriend stalker. When she needed it the most, it was sitting @ Taurus waiting to be repaired. (EPIC FAIL)
    This happens with most .380 pistols until they are broken in. Gunsmiths have told me to use ball ammo for the first round into the chamber and when firing it should be okay with hollow points. I have tried this with my Walther PPK/S and it still jams like crazy.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I have owned a few Taurus pistols, and have been happy with all of them, i would not hesitate to buy another one. With a lifetime warranty, i feel better about it. I own more than one gun, so sending one in to get fixed is fine with me, and every manufacturer has problems from time to time.

Top Bottom