• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been fascinated with these since I first saw them and wondered why everyone didn't have one for home defense since a person could choose whatever multiple loads they wanted, even back to back in the same cylinder.
    I have had fun reading the pros and cons.
    I might be trading my Sig Sauer 1911-22 for one whenever I can get together with the seller, but his work schedule keeps him unavailable since he lives a drive away (I'll have to travel 45 minutes one way, but the deal including the ammo makes it acceptable).
    Anyone have any feedback?
    I'm not going to ever buy the $800ish Smith Governor, but the less expensive Taurus polymer is priced acceptably.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought a Judge shortly after they came out.
    I waited a bit to find the one I wanted.
    They came stock with either a 3: or 6" barrel. I did not want a 6" barrel, but I wanted something longer than 3".
    I had the wild idea that IF I decided I wanted to, it should be legal to hunt deer with.

I finally found what I was looking for, but it was used, or so it was advertised.
    Dealer told me that the original owner was actually a real, sitting judge.
    So, a judge bought my Judge new, took it home and put it in a safe. Swore he never shot it, and it didn't appear shot when I received it.
    It was minus the box and manual, but I got it for about $150 below retail, because it was "used".
    My Judge is an "Ultra-Lite", alloy frame with a 4" barrel. I've not seen or heard of another like it.
    Mine only has the 2-1/2" chamber, but I'm o.k. with that.

I tried the Federal Premium .410 handgun ammunition and was pleasantly surprised.
    In my highly scientific experiment, I shot the Federal stuff carrying 4 pellets of 000 Buck into a line of 5 milk jugs filled with water, and covered with two layers of denim.
    I got penetration completely through 4 milk jugs and penetrating the 5th.
    This was from about 7 yards, or 21 feet.

Accuracy with .45Colt is not what I would have hoped for, but it's not terrible.
    I like my Judge. One of these days I'm going to try busting some clays with the Judge.

I don't care for polymer framed firearms myself, but to each his own.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought a Judge shortly after they came out.
    I waited a bit to find the one I wanted.
    They came stock with either a 3: or 6" barrel. I did not want a 6" barrel, but I wanted something longer than 3".
    I had the wild idea that IF I decided I wanted to, it should be legal to hunt deer with.

I finally found what I was looking for, but it was used, or so it was advertised.
    Dealer told me that the original owner was actually a real, sitting judge.
    So, a judge bought my Judge new, took it home and put it in a safe. Swore he never shot it, and it didn't appear shot when I received it.
    It was minus the box and manual, but I got it for about $150 below retail, because it was "used".
    My Judge is an "Ultra-Lite", alloy frame with a 4" barrel. I've not seen or heard of another like it.
    Mine only has the 2-1/2" chamber, but I'm o.k. with that.

I tried the Federal Premium .410 handgun ammunition and was pleasantly surprised.
    In my highly scientific experiment, I shot the Federal stuff carrying 4 pellets of 000 Buck into a line of 5 milk jugs filled with water, and covered with two layers of denim.
    I got penetration completely through 4 milk jugs and penetrating the 5th.
    This was from about 7 yards, or 21 feet.

Accuracy with .45Colt is not what I would have hoped for, but it's not terrible.
    I like my Judge. One of these days I'm going to try busting some clays with the Judge.

I don't care for polymer framed firearms myself, but to each his own.

1. Thanks soooo much! I couldn't have asked for better feedback!
    2. Strictly would be a home defense gun, except for those few times I could carry something bigger.
    3. I even saw a vid where you can get a Pachmayr grips made just for it that allow you to put another finger on the grip.
    4. I probably don't need to do that, since it would be shot little, and mostly not carried.
    5. I did that with my Smith 642 Airweight (Delta, a strangely angled grip, but it works) but since it is only a carry and not a range gun, I shouldn't have bothered, but I got carried away. :dunno:
    6. I'm getting this for a price I can sell w/o loss and get another kind if I "need" to do so, but I doubt it (I like having "low" money sitting in my guns.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    From the experts in terminal ballistics, most .410 "self defense" loads fail to penetrate sufficiently. And due to the rifled barrel, they spread pretty quick.

For a trail gun it's fine but you'd be better off loading it with a good .45 LC load.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The judge/governor is a bit of a novelty gun.

It’s big, heavy and doesn’t really do anything particularly well. 410 spreads fast and, with a short barrel, not much accuracy from 45 colt.

That being said; I’ve have always wanted a Governor just because, well, it’s got a certain “hell, ya’ it shoots shotgun shells” factor. And because it’s big, it’s heavy and it’s entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    From the experts in terminal ballistics, most .410 "self defense" loads fail to penetrate sufficiently. And due to the rifled barrel, they spread pretty quick.
    For a trail gun it's fine but you'd be better off loading it with a good .45 LC load.

1. I have read that.
    2. I also have read that if you buy the ammo that is designed for the gun and buy the type that has 3-4 (9mm size, I hear) solids in it, at 7 yrds they will be tight (2-3 inches).
    3. Sorry I don't know the proper terminology: I read about them just last night with people relating different experiences based on different 410 shells, which do well and which are useless.
    4. I will get one. If the deal I have going falls through (b/c of distance difficulties: 1.5 hrs.), I will stumble onto another good deal on one.
    5. When I check the ads, usually people are asking more for them used than I can buy new at Hoosier Armory ($365) or even Marksman Shooting Sports ($400) in Westfield.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hickok45 on the judge. His videos are long but usually spot on.
    https://youtu.be/qRlry5KH6I0

Can't access with work cmp, I will check it our tonight and see if I have seen this one (watched a few last evening).
    Last night I saw a price that got my attention (not enough to buy though, until I found it came with a decent supply of "expensive" ammo.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The judge/governor is a bit of a novelty gun.

It’s big, heavy and doesn’t really do anything particularly well. 410 spreads fast and, with a short barrel, not much accuracy from 45 colt.

That being said; I’ve have always wanted a Governor just because, well, it’s got a certain “hell, ya’ it shoots shotgun shells” factor. And because it’s big, it’s heavy and it’s entertaining.

I was tempted by the novelty for a while, but after I played with one the temptation was gone. I decided to stick with the short barrel .357 mag and not worry about spread or penetration.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was tempted by the novelty for a while, but after I played with one the temptation was gone. I decided to stick with the short barrel .357 mag and not worry about spread or penetration.

1. Understood. I buy for a price I can sell the next day or week or month, so it doesn't matter to me.
    2. If I find something I really want I'll buy new if I can't find it used, then it would have to be sold at a loss: my $600 +tax ($642) Ruger GP100 10 shot, SS, revolver, as an example, or my new S/W M/P Compact 22 I bought new $300 + tax ($321), but I'll bet I could sell that for $300 easy based on used prices higher on other popular 22s.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    1. Understood. I buy for a price I can sell the next day or week or month, so it doesn't matter to me.
    2. If I find something I really want I'll buy new if I can't find it used, then it would have to be sold at a loss: my $600 +tax ($642) Ruger GP100 10 shot, SS, revolver, as an example, or my new S/W M/P Compact 22 I bought new $300 + tax ($321), but I'll bet I could sell that for $300 easy based on used prices higher on other popular 22s.

That's definitely a good way to do it!

You get to enjoy it without being exposed to a hit if you don't like it.... or simply find something else you like better.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    They should be considered to be "toys" (and I hesitate to use that term) and nothing more.

The rifling in the bore isn't deep enough to really get the accuracy needed to even make the .45 Colt (note - not Long Colt) even accurate enough for hunting. And the fact that there's rifling at all means that any kind of shotshell will have a spin imparted to the wad/shot column which means that stuff will quickly be a whole lot of other places that you didn't expect it to be.

Even .410 slugs aren't all that much better than 9mm.

They're firmly in the "for fun" category.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They should be considered to be "toys" (and I hesitate to use that term) and nothing more.

The rifling in the bore isn't deep enough to really get the accuracy needed to even make the .45 Colt (note - not Long Colt) even accurate enough for hunting. And the fact that there's rifling at all means that any kind of shotshell will have a spin imparted to the wad/shot column which means that stuff will quickly be a whole lot of other places that you didn't expect it to be.

1. Understood. Strictly for home defense or sometime CC and expected use of very little distance, so accuracy not an issue.
    2. I'll probably gravitate toward something else after the experience like I've done with so many other, just having fun.
    3. It is a unique piece which got my attention when I first started looking back 8 months ago.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range report:

GOOD GRIEF! Torture! :dunno:
    But, I was warned!
    Some real kick with the 45LC, then I fired the 410 (3 shot): UNREAL :ugh:
    Strictly a "need to use only in emergencies" type of handgun, not a range toy (and I thought my Smith snubbie Airweight 642 was no fun to fire: multiply that by 3, or 4 maybe 5) :crying:
    This makes my Shield 45 seem like a .22LR

I shot two cylinders of the 45LC and 2 cylinders of the 410 and I was DONE!!!

If I was going to shoot it at the range I would get the Pachmayr grips I saw in a vid which allows another finger to grip.
    I wonder if the Delta grip that I bought for the Smith Airweight 642 38 sp, would help this beastly recoil.

It is everything it was said to be. I couldn't believe the size of the 45LC: I'm basically a .22 man for the range, so imagine my shock.
    The most powerful gun before this was a 357 Taurus magnum, and I thought it was a handful.
    The trigger guard hurts my middle finger like some other guns have done that I bought a different grip for (Smith 642) or sold (Walther, and it was only a 9mm).
    Well, if you're going to have a gun for self-defense that hurts your hand firing it: this is the one. :lmfao:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I didn't have to buy the Judge, I traded my Sig Sauer 1911-22 for it, and was lucky b/c he wanted a Sig olive-colored one.
    I happened to be at the right place at the right time when I saw this ad Sunday evening (I think).
    This helps me recoup my $100 upgrade that I had to do with ZR Tactical parts (that fit) and had to replace the CW crap not-fit parts (spring, cone, guide rod, etc.).
    When I sell the Judge, it will be no loss, unlike the Sig could have been.
    The guy had previously owned a GPS one exactly like it (manufactured the Sig for them, I believe), so it literally took 5 minutes for the trade.
    Most of that time was me checking out the Judge.
    The ammo that came with it I think is worth more than the seller thought: 3 boxes of shells (combination of 45LC and 410: those aren't cheap).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    1. Understood. Strictly for home defense or sometime CC and expected use of very little distance, so accuracy not an issue.

A) Accuracy is ALWAYS an issue.
    B) Only the .45 Colt should be considered for HD use - IF it (And you) are accurate enough.

Sounds to me like you should probably invest in some quality self defense training.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Nicely put. I was just going to respond with a SMH emoticon.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    You have just discovered the reason most judge/governors are low round count drawer queens. Lol

Not every purchase needs to be practical nor serve a specific use. Guns can be used for safe entertainment.

Go buy some 2 liters of soda and boxes of mixed 410 loads. Blast away, have a laugh and then you can keep or sell the Judge. You will always be able to say, “Hell, yes, I’ve had a Judge!!”

I would hesitate to keep for HD as I believe you should regularly shoot a firearm you would rely upon for life threatening situations.

Oh. Hanging water balloons are fun with 410 pistols too.

Top Bottom