• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    I recently purchased the Judge from my uncle. He had this one and wanted the 3"cylinder short barrol. I told him I would give him whatever he got in trade in for the Judge. He sold it to me for 370.00 and that included 2 boxes of .410 shells, 20 rounds of .45lc the box, a carry case, and a bunch of holsters from different guns. I think I did well on this one.
    2vvl4lh.jpg

dwordinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    I have the 3 inch chamber, 3 inch barrel your uncle got. It is definitely a short range weapon with shot shells. I haven't tried shooting .45 Colt yet. I expect it to shoot as well as any other .45 Colt, but I got it for the capability to shoot .410. My question for you, and your uncle, is does the extra three inches of barrel tighten the pattern any, or does the extra three inches of rifling open the pattern even more?

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    I have not shot his yet, and when I picked this up from him, he had not shot his yet either, I am not sure if he had gotten to it yet or not. I dont think he has because he has been out of town.
    Logically, I would say yes it does tighten it up. I dont know if this helps you or not, but when I go to the range, I put the paper about 20-25ft away. I shoot the 6shot .410 and from what I can tell, they pretty much stay on the paper. That is a terrible and unscientific way to describe it, but if you notice a very spread out shot that doesnt stay on the paper maybe it helps. Next time I go to the range with my uncle and can shoot both, I will let you know. Are you disappointed because it is so spread out? Would you prefer it tighter?

sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    well i looked and looked, and find myself un-able to locate a smiley to indicate drooling on my keyboard, i would love to have one of these, something about being able to carry something that fires shotgun shells... i'll be keeping an eye out for one of these at shows and such, be sure and give a little review after throwing some shells through it! and of coarse congrats!

INJoker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    These are cool, and that's a great pic. I wonder about the effectiveness with the .410 shells though? I would think for defense the .45LC would be the better option.

It is cool to be able to fire shotgun shells out of a pistol though...

dwordinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    I have not shot his yet, and when I picked this up from him, he had not shot his yet either, I am not sure if he had gotten to it yet or not. I don't think he has because he has been out of town.
    Logically, I would say yes it does tighten it up. I don't know if this helps you or not, but when I go to the range, I put the paper about 20-25ft away. I shoot the 6shot .410 and from what I can tell, they pretty much stay on the paper. That is a terrible and unscientific way to describe it, but if you notice a very spread out shot that doesn't stay on the paper maybe it helps. Next time I go to the range with my uncle and can shoot both, I will let you know. Are you disappointed because it is so spread out? Would you prefer it tighter?
    Somewhat disappointed. I didn't get mine for goose hunting and didn't expect it to shoot like a full choke shotgun. The pattern is probably good for home defense at 2 or 3 yards, although I would use the .45 colt for that. I was hoping to be able to shoot hand thrown clays. I haven't tried it yet, but the pattern opens quickly and there is a lot of space between the pellets. Maybe the answer is larger clays. :)

I found larger shot patterns denser, but denser is a relative term. All the patterns were very open. Going from #8-1/2 to #7-1/2 to #6 shot, the percentages got better, but because the larger shot had fewer pellets in the same weight (3/4 oz) of shot the patterns with the larger shot were no more dense than the lighter shot. Things got better with #4 shot. Not only did the percentage go up, but the number of pellets in the center of the pattern increased. But it was still open choke percentages.

I'm waiting for some nice spring weather so I can go out to the range and play with the Judge some more. When you and your uncle can compare the 3 inch and the 6 inch let us know how it turns out.

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    To be honest, I never thought about using it for hunting or clays...I just thought it would be pretty cool..after all...who says size doesnt matter?

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    Has anyone tried the Judge with 45LC. Would like to see a range report.

I have put 45lc through it on the range...It does well. to be honest, it is hard for me to steady the gun just because it is pretty heavy and the barrol is long, so I blaim poor shots on myself not on the gun. If I take me time, it shoots true. I personally prefer to shoot the .410 out of it for a couple different reasons. 1) The paper doesnt move and you cant see the holes. it looks like swiss cheeze when you bring it in though. 2) It is really loud and so everyone on the range looks down to see what the heck is going on 3) it is cheaper 4) because i like the idea of shooting a shotgun shell out of a pistol

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    The 2010 judge looks awesome on the website. I dont think I will make the switch though, this is more than enough gun for me and I do not want to spend the money on a new one. If i won the lottery though...it would be mine!

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I was considering one for rabbit hunting but was concerned with the pattern at 15-30 yards. I know the rifling spins the wad and opens the pattern kinda fast. This or the Comanche or Contender.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I was considering one for rabbit hunting but was concerned with the pattern at 15-30 yards. I know the rifling spins the wad and opens the pattern kinda fast. This or the Comanche or Contender.

i have a couple buddies who juse contender 410s with (i think 14 inch barrels) we use dogs and they dont even load them till we have a race. i didn't think they would have much range but i saw him drop a rabbit at 20ish yards

Top Bottom