• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    I don't see much on the forums about Taurus handguns. After listening to a couple of guys at work I bought my first handgun. I got a Taurus PT140 Pro. Is there anything I should know about this gun ? Does anyone else here have one and if so what do you think of it ? Thanks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I had one about 4 years ago. My only beef was that the mag release was positioned perfectly so that after a shot my finger would hit the button and the magazine would fall out. Other than that is was a good pistol.

lacroixdp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've had 2 Millennium 9mms and they ate plenty of rounds, store-bought and reloaded, without any feeding issues. I'd definitely recommend one as a budget gun.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the taurus revolvers are better than their semi's..... i will not own a taurus semi auto ever based on personal experience... when i worked at pops i probably saw at least 4-5 of the PT series get sent back to the manufacturer for various things... mags wouldnt stay in, would fall out during firing, stiker would fall but no boom.... to me they just feel to cheap for me to trust my life to them.
    just my .02 and i am sure their are many happy taurus owners here on this board, i however am not.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    when i worked at pops i probably saw at least 4-5 of the PT series get sent back to the manufacturer for various things...

We (Bradis) probably sell more Taurus handguns by brand than any other. We also see our fair share of problems with them (both customer bring-backs and brand-new guns that arrive DOA and should never have left the factory to begin with). With the semi-autos, the Millenniums seem to be the worst, and the 92/100 Series seem to be the best in terms of initial quality and reliability. There was a span of about a year where the little PT-22/25s were so bad that we considered dropping them entirely, but they seem to have gotten better. Biggest problem we've had with the wheelguns is that they occasionally show up up with the onboard lock "frozen" in place (unable to be operated using the supplied key). Taurus USA is good about taking care of all of the above issues under warranty, but the shipping/repair/return process takes FOR-FRIGGIN-EVER. A lot of times, the customer opts to just have a local 'smith take care of it so they're not without their gun for 3-4 months, even if it costs them a few bucks.

Just a few observations from a guy who doesn't own any Tauri, but sells the heck out of 'em. :twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Taurus semiautos are complete crap. You'll be lucky if you put more than five rounds through them without parts flying off, something breaking, or blowing up in your hand. The best you can hope for is a worthless pistol with multiple malfunctions. The proof for this is all the times people have seen this while standing on the range and watching it happen right next to them. Don't believe anyone who actually owns a Taurus, because anyone who would is of low character and is not to be believed. The only good thing you can say about Taurus pistols is that they are not Hi Points, which is another gun that you have to go to people who have never owned one to find out how awful they are.

I say this having owned three Taurus pistols, different models, and having zero problems with them, other than a couple of malfunctions in the first 100 or so rounds. But I know from reading a lot of posts from other people who've seen a lot of problems with them but don't own them, that I've been really, really lucky.

Seriously, they had some bad problems a few years ago that now seems to have been cleared up. Stay away from 1st generation models. People who own them swear by them. They have about the same amount of problems as any other gun, except of course, CZs, which pretty much have no problems.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I've had a couple, both revolvers.. the one in traditional revolver caliber was just fine, and the one that was in non-traditional revolver caliber was a lemon that was replaced with a Glock..

I've handled their semiauto handguns and thought they were okay, but for the price point I'd prefer Ruger P Series, IMO..

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    taurus pistols and revolver

Dross makes a good a point in his satire, the worst criticism of Taurus guns comes from those who have never fired them.

Between my wife, my two sons and myself we own four Taurus handguns. My wife has the Judge and loves it, my little boy has the 85HC which has functioned flawlessly, I have the 24/7 OSS DS in 45 ACP which shoots and handles wonderfully and has always done so without flaw. My elder son has the 24/7 OSS DS in .40 S&W, it will not shoot one brand of cartridge that loads the lighter bullet available in commercial .40 S&W loads, but shoots the 180 gr. without flaw.

I own several pistols, many more than BHO, Hillary and others would approve of and they are from different manufacturers. My Taurus 24/7 OSS DS is the easiest and most pleasant to shoot of all of them.

Terry

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I personally have three Taurus firearms. First is a 66ss6 revolver, pt140 semiauto, pt145 semiauto. All three of these have performed flawlessly. But with any firearm, malfunctions can and do occur. but this is just my personal experience.....yours may vary.

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I own and carry a 24/7 Pro C in 9mm. I've put a few hundred rounds through it with only one FTE early on. Nary a problem since!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've owned and shot the Whee! outta my stainless 4" M94 .22 revolver for well over twenty years now. Nothing's broken or worn out, it still hits where it's pointed and everything is still reasonably tight after many thousands of rds. IMO, a very, very good plinking/tackle box/woods bumming and all-around fun gun.

As it came from the factory, the DA pull was overly heavy, the grips didn't work too well for me and the serrations on the face of the trigger irritated my finger when firing in DA mode. All had cheap, easy DIY fixes: The 14# rebound (trigger return) spring was replaced with a 9# unit from Wolff. A set of Pachmayr Compacs were purchased and installed. I took the trigger out and carefully filed-off the serrations, recontoured and polished the face. Total investment about $250, and it was purchased NIB. Watching my various nieces and nephews faces light up as they learned to ring the swingers with it would've been worth the price all by itself.

I owned a PT100 in .40 S&W for several years and shot it a few hundred times. It was purchased from a coworker who needed cash for $200. It functioned flawlessly, hit POA with 180 gr. loads and never gave me a single problem. I sold it to a fellow at our club who wanted it more than I did and was willing to pay me what I asked for it. He's been happy with it, too.

Can't comment on Taurus' CS, as I've never had reason to deal with them.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I've owned a couple of taurus pistols. One was a 45 and I had no problems with them. I sold the 45 for another toy. I have also owned a couple of ROSSI revolvers. Those were good guns also.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Don't believe anyone who actually owns a Taurus, because anyone who would is of low character and is not to be believed.

I say this having owned three Taurus pistols, different models.

are you saying you are of low character and not to be believed?

The only good thing you can say about Taurus pistols is that they are not Hi Points, which is another gun that you have to go to people who have never owned one to find out how awful they are. .

Hi points are not neccessarilibly crap..... they are actually one of the most accurate pistols on the market due to its fixed barrel... doubt me? find a high point and a glock and i bet you the HP is EASIER to shoot accuratly than the glock.

Don't believe anyone who actually owns a Taurus, because anyone who would is of low character and is not to be believed.

are you really questioning the character of someone based on the gun they own? some people cant afford anything more...

smhall3212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    i have the pt845 love it got to shoot it this weekend no problems at all, out of the box shoots straight not very much recoil put 200 rounds thru it no issues yet. had to do a deep clean from factory taurus uses a lot of greese when they pack their guns, witch i think a majorty of the misfires occure when people complain about the first time out i love mine and would recomend anyone who wants a good gun at a good price to buy one

fatvette

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    I am pretty sure there is a lot of sarcasm going on in dross's post.;)

are you saying you are of low character and not to be believed?

Hi points are not neccessarilibly crap..... they are actually one of the most accurate pistols on the market due to its fixed barrel... doubt me? find a high point and a glock and i bet you the HP is EASIER to shoot accuratly than the glock.

are you really questioning the character of someone based on the gun they own? some people cant afford anything more...

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    Go visit the Taurus forum and see what the boys and girls that own them have to say. IMO, they may be biased, but appear to be honest about reporting issues. Personally, I have no complaints other than horrendous waiting for a set of grips for my PT 911.

Taurus Armed.net - Index

Top Bottom