• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Here it is spelled out conversationally.

ATF Online - Training - Firearms - Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide Learning Theater - Straw Purchase Attempt Transcript

This is the relevent part:
    You'd be breaking the law because to pass the background check you would affirm that you were the intended owner (purchaser) of the firearms, when in fact you were planning to FTF them to 4 other people

So it is illegal to buy a cheap gun if you just plan on selling it for a profit then?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    is that not what everyone at a gun show is looking to do?
    Buy a gun there and sell it before you leave for a profit?

I created a thread on that particular item in the past and got no real response, but its irrelevant because its a different animal. The law we are talking about is in regards to filling out a 4473

In regards to the first question there, see this thread...but it doesn't have an answer.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ussion/186220-vet_my_gunshop_info_please.html

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    So it is illegal to buy a cheap gun if you just plan on selling it for a profit then?

I believe so, yes. Again it can be hard to prove intent, and I'm unclear on that. That's something else I asked in that other thread I just linked to, because there is not a clear definition of "intended purchaser" that I have seen.

See #5 on that link ^

Hopefully it exists, and I wish someone would show it to me. :)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Buy all 5 guns for yourself without getting money from anyone else. Run ad to sell them later. Just a thought but I am no lawyer and cannot afford to stay at a Holiday Inn Express

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I believe so, yes. Again it can be hard to prove intent, and I'm unclear on that. That's something else I asked in that other thread I just linked to, because there is not a clear definition of "intended purchaser" that I have seen.

See #5 on that link ^

Hopefully it exists, and I wish someone would show it to me. :)

Well I can name about a dozen people I know whose only reason going to gun shows is to make money. I'm sure there are many more people like this.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Most people I know have bought guns that were a good deal just to sell them, BUT they were typically purchased from individuals and did not have to fill out a form 4473. Don we have an FFL dealer thatś is a member that could shed some light on this.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    according to the guy above us that would be illegal, since I have the intention of making a profit.

I didn't say that.

I said the straw purchase was illegal and that I was unsure of how the entirely different situation of gun show FTF profit buying/selling that do not involve FFL's played out.

I repeatedly said "I am not sure about how that goes". Please reread what I have written and don't put words in my mouth.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I didn't say that.

I said the straw purchase was illegal and that I was unsure of how the entirely different situation of gun show FTF profit buying/selling that do not involve FFL's played out.

I repeatedly said "I am not sure about how that goes". Please reread what I have written and don't put words in my mouth.

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to take that in the wrong way. I was just trying to tell him how I understood the link you posted.

Top Bottom