• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbill1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    South Bend
    I was wondering if anyone has experience with taurus 1911's. Looked at one yesterday. Seems to be a well made pistol for the money. But read some negative reviews. Are they worth the money or should I just save up for something different?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Enjoy shooting mine

Before all of the comments start, I have one and shoot it regularly. It has not had one issue and is very accurate. All of the modifications that I would normally do/have done to a 1911 are already incorporated.

I have not found any need to swap out parts.

It is a better shooting gun than my 70 Series Colt.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have one and love it. It's only got 14 rds through it and feels like a tank. The only thing I have swapped out was the grip screws. I am left handed so the ambi safety was a big selling point. I can't imagine a better 1911 for the money.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My uncle has had one since they were first released. Im unsure of the round count but I know its up there around 3-5k. Its never really had any failures to speak of, and its pretty accurate too.

That being said with Taurus's rep (or lack there of) for CS and warranty work Id look at a Springfield Armory.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I"ve fired two different ones, they were very nice shooting guns, and both seemed to be put together well. Both of those guns were bought NIB, and both have performed flawlessly for their owners, only issue was a grip screw being lost at the range.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    No issues with mine.

No issues from mine since I got it new in 2007. I liked it well enough that I picked up it's 9mm twin a few weeks ago from Bite the Bullet in Seymour. I only have 2 complaints. One is the unique dovetail and small of selection of drop-in rear sights. The other is the relatively thin finish. One of these days I plan on DuraCoating them both in matte black. Performance, accuracy, and reliabilty-wise though, no complaints. I'd recommend it.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    i bought one used (round count unknown) and put probably 5000 through it. I had ejection problems at around the 5000 mark (worn out extractor), which leads me to believe the original owner had shot it alot. I replaced the extractor with a Wilson Combat, switched to a 20lb Wolff recoil spring (i shoot a stout cast bullet handload), and replaced the firing pin spring.
    I've put almost 500 through it since installing those replacements and it has had zero malfunctions.
    If the deal is good, you can't really go wrong with their 1911 line. Mine is stainless steel, so I don't have any finish complaints.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I bought one of their 1911, tricked out, "pimp", gold and royal blue .38 Supers from CDNN. Just to have a .38 Super to play with. I am actually impressed with it! Solid gun with NO malfunctions so far!

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Mine has several hundred rounds through it, with no problems. The only things I don't care for are the Heinie sights and "billboard" on the side.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Mine was fantastic. I think there are better offerings out there, but they are pretty decked out for the price.

udonb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    I bought one new about six years ago. I've put less than 300 rounds through it and, like any 1911, it is a joy to shoot. I was cleaning it after a range session last month and noticed the ejector was wobbly. After closer examination I discovered the rear pin on the ejector had sheared off. It is probably a mim part. It is in the shop to be repaired. I know Taurus has a lifetime warranty but taking it to the gun shop down the road is less hassle than shipping for me.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    MIM parts....

Always enjoy seeing this.

Metal injection molded parts are used where machining is expensive and a component can be made with acceptable strength for the application through this process instead of machining from a piece of metal. Not for a simple shape like a straight pin.

Taurus uses no more MIM components than other more expensive guns (Kimber).

Taurus itself is a world leader in the use of the MIM process for many applications, not just firearms.

And if you purchase something for a specific job and it does that job well, why is there a disclaimer of " a good xxx for the money"?

It's all about how you define value......:twocents:

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I really love mine. I have shot enough rounds to loose count. It has been flawless since the first 100. Honestly, if there is another more accurate or smoother I would be surprised. I want a colt enhanced or trophy and cant wait to try it but Im not expecting a night and day difference.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    sitting at the 1700 round count on mine (150 of it +p). has finish wear from holster, changed the safety to a ww1 style (didn't care for the ambi), changed grip screws to fit aftermarket grips, and swapped mainspring housing for a non-checkered one. the only is i have tool marks in the barrel (on the lands, about 1/8" long, appears to be dull cutting head chattering). shoots 3" groups all day with it.

would buy another one. my group that shoots semi-regularly has four of them in it, mine has the second highest round count.

Top Bottom