• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    And when someone respectfully declines to honor that request?

The comments reflect Americans' stupidity. If they can't see a gun, they assume it must not be there.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I really wonder if the pro-gun groups doing the open carry in a store like Target is not just a bunch of anti-gunners that realized they can turn the issue on their own without gun owners support. They stage an 'appreciation' event with lots of scary pictures and then the other side of the group comes in an protests. They force a store to make a decision and that decision will always be the one that places the store in the least legal jeopardy. They can do the whole thing by themselves without any pro-gun folks joining in on the 'debate'.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    All these "requests" are simply a placation measure. There is no force of law or even policy in them. It is simply a request. People are free to ignore it and go on about their business. I don't now why I'm still amazed at the foolishness of "I don't see it, it doesn't exist."

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When cornered, most large companies will say this exact same thing. I'm sure it is some insurance and/or investor thing. Trick is, try not cornering them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When cornered, most large companies will say this exact same thing. I'm sure it is some insurance and/or investor thing. Trick is, try not cornering them.

Yep. If you force them to make a choice, most have shown they'll take the least controversial way out. You gotta admit MDA has an effective strategy here.

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Problem is...my local target (Kokomo) is located inside the mall. Granted it has it's own outside entrance, but I am still unsure if you can actually carry in there since the mall itself is a GFZ.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yep. If you force them to make a choice, most have shown they'll take the least controversial way out. You gotta admit MDA has an effective strategy here.

I think it is less MDA and more corporate risk assessment lawyers. The MDA group is just taking advantage of the fact that our society love to file lawsuits, even in cases where no laws are broken. There are a number of cases where criminal procedings have found a person innocent of wrong doing, but the follow up civil suit has resulted in some sort of punitive action.

It is nothing more than extortion at the basic level. Hanging the threats of civil lititgation over the heads of just about everyone with a few 00's ahead of the decimal point in their bank account means most folks try to be pretty risk adverse. Now add to that a fortune 500 company with associated deep pockets, and you realize realy quickly that they are an easy target for a wrongful death, willful negligence, or other type of lawsuit if someone is shot in one of their facilities.

We all know that legally these locations can't prohibit firearms, but can ask us to leave and we can be charged with tresspassing if we refuse. That little loophole gives them plausible deniablility if they were to be named in a civil suit. They can claim that the person with the firearm willfully violated policy and that the indivudal is culpable, not the owner of the property.

I'm sure Kirk or some of the other resident legal experts can chime in and comment just to the level that a "No firearms" sign or policy protects a company from civil suit.

If we flip it around another way, lets assume Wal-Mart places a big sign out front saying "gun owners welcome" and some idiot coon-fingers his gun and shoots someone. The victim (I use the term loosely) could claim that Wal-Mart's policy put them in danger and that they were therefore liable for damages. No different from a person spilling hot coffee on their lap, etc. Maybe the judge will throw it out as frivolous, and maybe not.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Voiced my feelings in their comments section... I have no problem shopping at WalMart or Meijer and actually prefer those to Target. At least I know my credit card data is safe there... Target already proved they can't even 'secure' that... little lone guarantee customers safety.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Voiced my feelings in their comments section... I have no problem shopping at WalMart or Meijer and actually prefer those to Target. At least I know my credit card data is safe there... Target already proved they can't even 'secure' that... little lone guarantee customers safety.

But to what extent are they responsible for our safety? Sure, we expect the store to be safe from hazards like electrical shock, sharp corners on shelving, structural failures, etc. But where does their responsibility end and ours kick in? And, couldn't we also argue that NOT being able to carry our self defense weapon means they aren't guaranteeing our safety? Afterall, we know that "no guns allowed" signs don't deter criminals from still carrying out their activities, so shouldn't we have the ability to protect ourselves?

Top Bottom