• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    You don't. OTOH, RWVA membership is only $20/yr and meets the club requirement.

Appleseed - Join the RWVA

While you are at it, might as well attend an Appleseed (which addresses the documented marksmanship activity requirement, if you don't already have that addressed.)

Thanks- cwillour, We'll definatley look into it. My 10 year old got our 2nd hog this year today with a Savage 93 .17HMR at 114yds. Dad was spotter and was a little proud. ;) Does INGO have an official hog thread?

:ingo:

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I know you are looking for a .22LR but have you considered a .22WMR? I have a Marlin 883ss bolt action chambered in .22WMR. I've had the gun since 1994 or so and it is still dead on target at 100 yards. I used to shoot longer distances but I lived in the high desert at that time.

I can find .22WMR ammo easier than .22LR. Just my 2 cents.

Smoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Laporte
    Bonkers, I have thought about the WMR. A buddy bought a Ruger last year that he has still not shot. I was hoping to get my hands on it. I like the CZ for the fact I can get the .17 HMR barrel and the .22. I can find .17 HMR ammo but not .22.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    True target setups for bench rest are expensive. If the CMP has the kimber government 82's left you can score a 425 dollar rifle that shoots with the Annie's and custom model 52's but I do believe they are gone. I got 2 of them and it will be some time before the rifle is the weak link in my shooting. At that point an Annie is about the only way to go new now.

I have age a ruger target that outshoots most custom 10-22's but it will not group with the kimber. X's matter.

If you have not seen a kimber model 82 government 22 let me introduce you:

[/URL

one with target scope and the other I now shoot peep sighted with the included peeps. Best 900 dollars I have spent gun wise for that pair in a long time.

Hmm you must be luckier than me. I picked up one of these Kimber 82's back 10 yrs ago or so..it shot OK. But just ok...I didn't keep it. I haven't seen many at BR matches I've been too either. Shoot with an Anschutz 54 action or a Winchester 52, I'm a tad skeptical. But Maybe I just didn't get a good shooter though. A shame, not many choices in the genre, especially these days. Nice Redfield 3200, is your eye relief window tiny like mine? Have to get it just right, but nice when you do :).

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    How or is it possible to purchase a CMP rifle without being associated with a CMP club?
    Be a veteran. Go to the CMP's site and look at the requirements. The Kimbers may be gone at this point but occasionally you'll see one on Rimfire Central in the classifieds. If you can find one for less than $650 these days you are doing real well. they are a very good rifle for a beginner to bench. Not usually competitive with the big dogs but a quality item, nonetheless. Way too heavy for hunting unless you're Ahhhhnold.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    You don't. OTOH, RWVA membership is only $20/yr and meets the club requirement.

Appleseed - Join the RWVA

While you are at it, might as well attend an Appleseed (which addresses the documented marksmanship activity requirement, if you don't already have that addressed.)

Ok- someone else can join too. I just signed up. Will look into Appleseed event next.

Its $20 bucks. Its for a good cause. Quit being a tightwad. :)

:ingo:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For the comments on the Savage FVSR, is a heavy barrel on a 22lr that beneficial? Just curious. Say shooting out to 100yds max.

I've currently got a Savage FVSR and it's my second one. The first one I had perfectly setup and my dear sweet wife made some credit card mistakes so I sold it to make a dent in them. It was an accurate gun out to 300 yards using wolf match and even plinking accurate with federal bulk 36gr. The one I currently own is basically identical to the first one. I replaced it because I missed the first one so much. Same results as far as accuracy goes, and function. I use my current FVSR as a long range trainer. It takes a lot to hit a target at 300 yards with a 22lr, and I enjoy the challenge with the benefit of cheaper ammo, less noise and lighter recoil.

I'm not saying the FVSR is the worlds greatest gun, but if you're looking for a bolt action threaded heavy barrel 22lr that's accurate you're not going to regret your decision. If you're looking for a target 22lr, this gun will keep up with just about anything out there.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I've currently got a Savage FVSR and it's my second one. The first one I had perfectly setup and my dear sweet wife made some credit card mistakes so I sold it to make a dent in them. It was an accurate gun out to 300 yards using wolf match and even plinking accurate with federal bulk 36gr. The one I currently own is basically identical to the first one. I replaced it because I missed the first one so much. Same results as far as accuracy goes, and function. I use my current FVSR as a long range trainer. It takes a lot to hit a target at 300 yards with a 22lr, and I enjoy the challenge with the benefit of cheaper ammo, less noise and lighter recoil.

I'm not saying the FVSR is the worlds greatest gun, but if you're looking for a bolt action threaded heavy barrel 22lr that's accurate you're not going to regret your decision. If you're looking for a target 22lr, this gun will keep up with just about anything out there.

Thanks for the input. Based on your experience, is a heavy barrel necessary for shooting 22lr out to 100 yards? I am not looking to stretch a 22lr put as far as 300 yards. I see some comments on the Mark II, which has AccuTrigger but no heavy barrel. And, it's about $150. Just curious if there is really much benefit of a heavy barrel for what I would be looking at.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I shot one of those new ruger American rimfire's at a appleseed I was running a few months back. Picked it up bone stock and shot a 226 with it. didn't get several rounds off on seated and transition to prone. I was rusty at running the bolt and it hurt me. they are smooth little rifles and damn fine shooters.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Could you expand on your opinion on the Ruger? Better than a $150 Savage with the AccuTrigger?

I will do the best I can....

Trigger is as good as the accu-trigger (it ought to be, I THINK they hired the designer of the accu-trigger to design it), the stock is very nice..I am not a fan of plastic and it's hard to explain but the stock "feels" more solid than the Savage or the 10/22 plastic stocks...The stock is also adjustable (to a certain degree) by unscrewing the sling stud and swapping out the other butt stock (to add a cheek piece or an extra inch and a half onto your rifle) and can be purchased on it's own from the Ruger store...It also takes what is (by anyones definition) the finest 22 rifle magazine ever invented, the 10/22 magazine...It is the first Ruger Rifle (I am aware of) that takes standard scope mounts...NOT propietary Ruger mounts (like all of their other rifles do)...It comes in both a carbine and a full size rifle...In the stock there is room to carry 25 rounds of .22 ammo, a small knife, a firestarter stick, tinder, and a small Bic lighter...Barrel is free floated and hammer forged....

They are capable of amazing accuracy...I have a Redfield Revenge on mine and a week after I had sighted it in (on the bench/picninc table) I wanted to see how it would do (not off the bench, a just kind of a "throw it up to my shoulder and see kind of shot"..) I pulled up to the farm in my truck, got the gun out and leaned against the truck to try a 50 yard shot at a small squirell head sized target I have set up up for that purpose and rang that little sucker with a boring sense of ease...I really believe they are going to change the game but I have been wrong on predictions before...I.E. There is no way Obama will get a second term.....:(

Here is the gunblast review...I tried to find a negative review to no avail.....What's funny is that I turned up my nose at these when they first came out and it is now my favorite .22 rifle (and I have got quite a few .22 rifles because I am a dumb a$$ and can't seem to pass one up if it fills some imagined "need"....)

Ruger American Rimfire Bolt-Action 22 LR Rifle

:twocents::twocents::twocents:

Plus it has a tang safety (for you lefties out there)and a very short bolt throw that doesn't smack up against the bell of the scope...

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wouldn't rule out an old heavy barreled Mossberg, like a Model 44 or 46 either. Had a 44 U.S. as a kid and it was a tack driver. Getting ready to do my first Appleseed on Saturday and will be taking my 46B.

IMG_2424_zps23c265c0.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom