• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I don't like the hogs being blown up, but I LOLed at this...

He who hath never 'sploded a hog; Let him cast the first stone.

th

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    That's a lot of meat that could have went to homeless shelters.

Blowing **** up is fun, but the hunter in me thinks this is asinine.

Like I said in my first post, I like my pork processable like yourself. That said, I don't believe homeless shelters will accept wild game. The liability is too great and if it doesn't taste good, they are going to watch most all the work of processing/cooking/serving it get tossed in the trash.

It can be made to taste quite delicious depending on the age/sex of the pig but not without solid BBQ skills and a good bit of time/work.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009

Interesting, I had never heard of that. The Trichinella risks from wild pigs are usually enough to put off any private entity from trying this but UDSA inspections, professional slaughter, and the liability protections of having the state do it appears to have done the trick.

I am curious if the state has subsidized a plan like this for private properties? There is still no way that most food banks would touch meat shot/processed/handled by landowners; particularly in light of that it isn't going to taste like commercial pork.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I don't know if that's just a feel good story and how long it lasts. it does pose some risks of cross contamination at the procession plants and the butchers/packers themselves.

cooking isn't a problem at all.

wisconsin-aluminum-foundry-all-american-pressure-cooker-930-popup.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I don't know if that's just a feel good story and how long it lasts. it does pose some risks of cross contamination at the procession plants and the butchers/packers themselves.

cooking isn't a problem at all.

wisconsin-aluminum-foundry-all-american-pressure-cooker-930-popup.jpg
    I have access to a Lang 60 and no, cooking is no trouble at all! I am curious what the 200k tax dollar outlay got them in terms of actual meat on the plate.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If I lived within a reasonable distance of land where I could hunt wild hogs without having to buy a license and with no bag limit, my family would probably eat very little store-bought pork.

Unless there's something about Trichinosis or something that I don't know about.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    If I lived within a reasonable distance of land where I could hunt wild hogs without having to buy a license and with no bag limit, my family would probably eat very little store-bought pork.

Unless there's something about Trichinosis or something that I don't know about.

Me too! The only big concern is if you cut yourself while processing, I know a guy who almost died from doing so. Some of the stuff they carry is pretty rough if you go blood to blood transmission.

It looks like food banks can't take them unless live slaughtered at a USDA slaughterhouse.

Idea on table: Slay feral hogs with arrows, feed hungry - Houston Chronicle

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    May be the tinfoil hat wearing part of me, but I wonder if the roadblocks to making this seemingly endless source of meat available to truly needy consumers weren't/aren't because of the HUGE influence the beef industry has in that state....

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    May be the tinfoil hat wearing part of me, but I wonder if the roadblocks to making this seemingly endless source of meat available to truly needy consumers weren't/aren't because of the HUGE influence the beef industry has in that state....
    Oh, on the one end I'm sure there is some of that. On the other end what I said about it having to taste "good" also applies. I used to run a demolition crew with a lot of daily work/daily pay guys on it. Trust me when I say their is an art among soup kitchen fanciers and connoisseurs.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    We officially relocated from Liberty County, Texas to our Indiana place in 2015. Had rooters running around the place down there, tearing up the yard. The roto-tilling gets to be so extensive that it is shocking to most people when they first encounter it. Any how, the people in that part of the country have a really bad problem on their hands. Back around WWII people used to run hog dogs. They'd mark the hogs ears just as cattle were branded for identification on the open range. And you didn't take someone else's hog. Now the countryside has been all fenced and everybody thinks that crossing a property line is a big terrible thing. So, the hogs cross but people do not. The hogs go everywhere, multiply like mice, destroy crops and property, etc. Not to mention tear the front end off your truck when you hit one. The one saving grace to there being such an over population of hogs is that we are very possibly going into a severe economic downturn such as not seen since before WWII. Back then armadillos were called Hoover hogs!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    And now the video is gone...don't know what happened. Any truth to the rumors of hogs in southern Indiana? Heard rumors, but nothing first hand.

Top Bottom