• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My video stopped after the blast, where do I find the one showing this? It intrigues me how quick some are to impute evil motives to people they have never met.

My video stops shortly after the rifle comes into view. The 'gentleman' holding the rifle is in an elevated position in a vehicle, which is also the POV of the video. You are correct that I may be making an unwarranted assumption that the only rifle visible in the video was used to detonate the tannerite, but the audio track clearly gives evidence that a firearm was used to set off the explosion. Lacking evidence to the contrary, I hold that it is a logical inference. I also concede that the 'rifleman' could do double duty as hog ied detonator and deliverer of the coupe de grace, without longer edit we'll never know.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Here you go. Here is a video showing the aftermath of this type of hunt. Make sure to have the audio on and watch it to the end, then come back and say this is an acceptable way to cull these animals.

[video=youtube;y0ss6gCPNs4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ss6gCPNs4[/video]
    Once again, I am intrigued that you impute the motives and actions of one group of people you have never met to another group of people you have never met about a event you were not present for.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Once again, I am intrigued that you impute the motives and actions of one group of people you have never met to another group of people you have never met about a event you were not present for.

Did you watch til the end of that video... you know, the solid minute of the injured pigs squealing in pain and writhing around on the ground? I don't care if the guys doing it had motives as pure as the driven snow, that seems pretty far from humane to me.

Now granted, I'm not a hunter, just a target shooter and paper targets and clay pigeons rarely scream. Still, it seems to be pretty starkly different from the results of more conventional hunting videos I've seen.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Did you watch til the end of that video... you know, the solid minute of the injured pigs squealing in pain and writhing around on the ground? I don't care if the guys doing it had motives as pure as the driven snow, that seems pretty far from humane to me.

Now granted, I'm not a hunter, just a target shooter and paper targets and clay pigeons rarely scream. Still, it seems to be pretty starkly different from the results of more conventional hunting videos I've seen.
    All of my comments have been about the OP video, including the one you initially responded too. How you think you get to apply them to some other video you found, is beyond me.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    All of my comments have been about the OP video, including the one you initially responded too. How you think you get to apply them to some other video you found, is beyond me.

Do you somehow imagine that the results of the other video are different?

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Trying not to step into the "line of fire" here guys, but, after watching the vid in post #59 until the end, I do hear shots being fired after the ignition of the tannerite. I would have to presume that someone is trying to kill those that are still alive. Just saying.

But I could be wrong.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The pigs aren't human. They are pigs. You know, like the ones you pay people to heartlessly murder so you got a piece of fried fat in the morning to go with your toast and the evilly murdered unborn chicken kids fried sunny side up.
    And please do not go on about how the bacon you had this morning was humanely dispatched. Animals going into mass slaughter have ears, eyes and noses. They go through terror just as do humans in similar circumstances.
    "Humane" doesn't have a place in killing. Killing is killing. Food is food. Those pigs are being rendered assailable by the explosion as a pestilence being eradicated.
    Assuming a position of indignation as the moral high ground is absolutely inappropriate. Disgust, yeah I understand but not indignation. I really dislike killing. May Bell the wonder cat bringing me a prey animal doesn't make me happy even a little bit. But sometimes it is fun to watch her try to catch a mouse. She has a pretty good case of cabin fever right now and could use a mouse or two.
    But hey, that's all just my opinion. I don't enjoy the kill but I sure like roasted beast.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here you go. Here is a video showing the aftermath of this type of hunt. Make sure to have the audio on and watch it to the end, then come back and say this is an acceptable way to cull these animals.

[video=youtube;y0ss6gCPNs4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ss6gCPNs4[/video]

Maybe I'm just a wuss but my conscience would not allow me to do that. Efficient kill shots are one thing but this video clearly shows this amount of tannerite didn't get the job done. I'm not going to bust anyone's balls for culling wild pigs this way but putting it on YouTube isn't going to win friends and influence people.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The pigs aren't human. They are pigs. You know, like the ones you pay people to heartlessly murder so you got a piece of fried fat in the morning to go with your toast and the evilly murdered unborn chicken kids fried sunny side up.
    And please do not go on about how the bacon you had this morning was humanely dispatched. Animals going into mass slaughter have ears, eyes and noses. They go through terror just as do humans in similar circumstances.
    "Humane" doesn't have a place in killing. Killing is killing. Food is food. Those pigs are being rendered assailable by the explosion as a pestilence being eradicated.
    Assuming a position of indignation as the moral high ground is absolutely inappropriate. Disgust, yeah I understand but not indignation. I really dislike killing. May Bell the wonder cat bringing me a prey animal doesn't make me happy even a little bit. But sometimes it is fun to watch her try to catch a mouse. She has a pretty good case of cabin fever right now and could use a mouse or two.
    But hey, that's all just my opinion. I don't enjoy the kill but I sure like roasted beast.

^^^^ That, to me, is a more valid thought for the one's of us who criticize someone who blows up pigs. I'm not sure I've ever seen the piece of meat that didn't make my mouth water. And, I've spent enough time in places where animals are raised, killed, and processed to know that it's even a fair debate whether the pig that died to provide this morning's bacon would or wouldn't have traded places with the pig that at least got to live free before his death by tannerite.

Easy for us to look down from our high-horses (I'd try horse meat if I was offered it). I used to make pocket money trapping, been a hunter all my life, and I've killed literally thousands of mice to feed my snakes.

But, I won't be whooping with laughter at the site and sounds of exploding pigs. No, those pigs aren't human, and call me weird or soft (even hypocritical?), but I don't see that as license to have the same lack of respect that those men showed.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Not a wuss. We just think different. And I apologize for the rant.
    Youtubing it is really un-smart. Like asking for interference.
    I took the tannerite to be used for the purpose of rendering the hogs (plural) assailable, vulnerable. Like setting off a mine and then start shooting at the enemy.
    Otherwise, one shot and they run off like miniature race horses.
    Building a pen trap is more efficient. Not nicer, not as much fun for the guys* doing it, but you'd sure catch more hogs!

* I'm thinking that if they didn't like it they'd do something else. But then again, maybe that's just tactics they were taught.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    self-righteous-610x250.jpg

Untitled8.png

holier-than-thou-300x249.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    That is beyond contemptible and the several Ingo members here who are trying to defend it are also despicable. Life is sacred and to recklessly and frivolously cause suffering and terror to vertebrate animals speaks for itself. Yes, I attribute evil motives to these "men". I know cruelty when I see it and I recognize joy when I see it. These guys took joy in the pain and suffering they are causing, It's easily seen and heard.

I completely understand that these animals have to be controlled. They should be hunted as humanely as possible and used as food. To take entertainment in baiting in and blowing up animals is evil, cruel and wasteful. This video looks so ugly for a reason, your conscience knows what it is seeing even if your juvenile little ego somehow finds it amusing.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The more I think about it... cannot help but suspect that using an explosive charge to make greater numbers of the prey vulnerable to killing is probably learned behavior. No doubt about it that it's been on TV shows since the 1960's.

"Combat! starring Vic Morrow. Tonight's episode..."

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I'm pretty sure many INGO members would get him $6k, no problem.

[video=youtube;rsFXhGoDnW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFXhGoDnW0[/video]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Time+Cost for what, under 10 hogs?

Heck, if it were 10 hogs, it would make it super-efficient. Again, this is based on my personal experience.

By my rough estimate, I'd say there were 5. Assuming all 5 were eradicated, either immediately or dispatched during clean up, it is still more efficient than hunting them the "normal" way, from a blind or the ground (or, apparently, a truck).

Here's why:
    1 - The time component is the same whether "normal" hunting or doing it this way. The time to place the feed, and the tannerite, is the same.
    2 - The time to wait for enough hogs to gather is the same. It isn't like they come more quickly, or in greater numbers, with or without the tannerite. (Aside: if the tannerite does bait more of them, then that would make it more effective.)
    3 - The time to shoot is the same.

The difference comes in a normal hunt, to kill 5 hogs at the same time, you need at least 5 hunters in the same spot, all calling out their targets, all firing simultaneously, and all hitting their targets with kill shots. That's tough. In fact, in my experience it doesn't happen. I suppose if someone had a full auto of some kind (like a SAW), it might be possible. But, I wonder if that would still call for the "inhumane" tag, in that a full auto isn't likely to get kill shots on all of them, either.

If the number of hogs > the number of hunters, then the untargeted hogs will scurry away at the first shot. A single hunter, skilled and lucky, might get 2 from a group. A solid kill with the first shot, and a very quick, lucky follow up, before they all disappear.

So, really, the only inefficiency is the cost of the tannerite. An extra $20 or so to take out 4+ hogs in a single shot, compared to the damage, might be totally worth it.

I've been on a number of hog hunts in Texas. Funny thing about those Texans...they'll all tell you all the damage hogs do, and they'll act like it is a scourge right out of the Bible, talking about the damage to crops and the loads of money they are allegedly losing. But you go down there to hunt them and they are more than happy to take a load of money from you for hunting licenses and the ranchers like to get a nice big cut, too. If they were so bad, you'd think they'd be happy to have you show up to help them take care of it. I don't blame them for making money on it, but the way they have their hands in your wallet doesn't match up with the level of destruction, cost, and problems they claim. That's been my anecdotal experience, anyway.

I wanted to address this, too. I haven't seen this first-hand, since when I've gone, it was as a family member. I have talked about it with the family, though, and there are a couple angles to this. First, because free market. Since people are willing to pay, I think some ranchers try to recoup some of the costs of repair by charging for hunts. My family doesn't, because they don't want strangers trampling around their place. I do know that they allow friends and trusted friends of trusted friends to hunt for free, too.

The other reason is that, as I understand it, there might be liability issues. The landowners might prefer to charge something to weed out the guys who are... let's just say... maybe undesireable. And to cover costs of insurance or something.

Top Bottom