• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ahhhh, that has to be Texas... I understand they are feral, non native, and destructive but I still like to eat what I shoot (especially if it is pork).

I've seen the Yeehaws do this down there. I cannot image why they put them on the net especially the ones with all the young pigs flipping about like gut shot rabbits. Cannot think that will help them.

However, I do not understand what they do down there. I remember 1995 asking them why they just did not shoot all the pigs if they did so much damage and was told it was about property rights. I asked them about the state or property owners paying bounties for pigs and you thought I had asked to blow up the Twin Sisters.:D

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I spent a summer working in orange groves on Merritt Island, Florida. I was surprised to find that the area had lots of wild hogs.

At night, they'd come into the groves and eat the fallen grapefruit (they left the oranges mostly alone). More than once I had a group of sows and little pigs get really close before they winded me.

Some guys would periodically come in and hunt them, and I always wondered if the grapefruit flavored the pork.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That was spectacular!

I have hunted them before in FL and TN. The TN sow didn't taste that great. FL sow was great on the smoker. Came out like a nice pot roast.

Got me a 300BLK ready to go for future trip someplace.

Would be sweet to add an LP tank in there for some more flame and effect.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Here, hold my beer. :rolleyes:

Feral, pest, varmit, doesn't matter what you call them. They are still lives that should be treated and ended with respect. :twocents:
    Not to mention what the anti's do with this sort of stuff.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    They are still lives that should be treated and ended with respect. :twocents:
    Not to mention what the anti's do with this sort of stuff.

Anti's are gonna do whatever they are gonna do no matter what.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. I was literally just thinking about this over the weekend. I have some relatives in Texas who have a hog problem on their ranch. It is difficult to take them out trying to shoot them singly, although they also do trap for them. Can't poison them because they have to protect the "organic" certification or something.

I'm not sure this is the "right" answer, but it sure looks like it is effective.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Personally, I find this pretty distasteful. They may be pest animals, but they should be dispatched humanely.

I don't think blowing them up is inhumane; it just makes them hard to process...

I've got no issue with landowners culling invasive species from their land as they see fit, I just happen to really like meat and wish that people didn't feel called to video everything and put it out on the internet.

There are people on wavering on the line of whether they support gun ownership/use or oppose it and I prefer to put a better foot forward when seeking publicity.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not really disagreeing, but doesn't this also show the need? I mean, tannerite probably isn't the best thing, but firearms are really the only way to fight the war against this invasive species.

Like I mentioned, the tannerite took out what - 4 or 5 of them? That was a single shooter, too (although it looks like more might've been available). Without the tannerite, a single shooter might've gotten 2 or 3 (if that).

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Not really disagreeing, but doesn't this also show the need? I mean, tannerite probably isn't the best thing, but firearms are really the only way to fight the war against this invasive species.

Like I mentioned, the tannerite took out what - 4 or 5 of them? That was a single shooter, too (although it looks like more might've been available). Without the tannerite, a single shooter might've gotten 2 or 3 (if that).

I'm not disagreeing with you, those thing need continuous culling or they wreck ecosystems and destroy property. I personally would prefer to at least try to save some meat, but I also understand that at some point the need to cull may supersede that.

My real point is that it isn't really a great idea to publicize blowing piglets up all over the internet because you end up alienating people on the fence. That said, it is legal and I'm in no way implying that it shouldn't be.

Top Bottom