• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    To make a long story short, was setting off some tannerite yesterday until ISP showed up and asked us to stop. He knew he couldn't make us stop shooting but said the tannerite was rattling windows nearby. The land we were shooting on is in the middle of nowhere. What do you all think about this? Never shot anything bigger then 1/2 lb at once. Basically we were told if we didn't stop that we would be charged with disorderly conduct.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Where was this at? We were shooting on our family farm near the White River bottoms in SW Jackson Co., and here a few loud "booms" off in the distance to the North of us late in the afternoon.

My first thought was someone was shooting tannerite. :rockwoot:

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    IC 35-45-1-3
    Disorderly conduct
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:
    (1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
    (2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
    (3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;
    commits disorderly conduct, a Class B misdemeanor.

From Indiana Code.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If justin beber from my neighbors can qualify, I am guessing tannerite can too. From a legal perspective. I would prefer the tannerite myself...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    So, you think it is "unreasonable noise"?

Pretty much, yeah. Open air bursts of explosives are extremely loud. If you did it once or twice that would be one thing, but if it's repeated and it is rattling the neighbor's windows (which it can easily do) then it's could be easily found to be unreasonable.

FWIW, I am in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbor half a mile or more away and very few houses within a mile radius, and I restrict my open air blasts to one at a time once in a while, and they're usually in a deep valley.

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    I didn't say I thought it was anything, I'm just showing you what the statute says. "Unreasonable noise" can be defined as well, anything annoying to other people. For instance, as an officer, if I'm summoned to a call such as yours and I witness the window rattling every time it goes "boom" then yes, that I would construe as unreasonable. My guess is the Trooper just felt that you should give a little to get the caller to chill. Would he have hooked you on a DC? Who knows.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I'm guessing that the ISP came because someone called. Since it's out in the middle of nowhere. And if the neighbors were getting concerned from a mile away, yeah that's probably in the "unreasonable" range.... How about inviting the folks from over there to join in the party next time?

Maybe that would work?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    This is nothing to start a feud over.
    Go to the neighbors house and tell him that you didn't know it was rattling his windows and apologize.
    Maybe, if he knows you are not a jerk, next time he will call you before he calls the police.

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    This is nothing to start a feud over.
    Go to the neighbors house and tell him that you didn't know it was rattling his windows and apologize.
    Maybe, if he knows you are not a jerk, next time he will call you before he calls the police.

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a less-than-warm reception, but at least you made an effort to be neighborly and make amends.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    1/2 lb of tannerite did not "rattle windows" 1 mike away.

Under open conditions and the right atmospheric conditions, yes it can. In the mining industry there are regulations concerning open air blasts because things like temperature inversions and different types of cloud cover can duct or reflect the sounds much farther than you would think.

I am NOT saying it DID, but that it CAN. If you want to start or continue a feud with your neighbor that's up to you.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Did the officers measure the decibel level?

No? then how they could have determined "unreasonableness" of the noise and thus threaten you with disorderly conduct?

I'd have told them to go over to the neighbor who made the complaint's house & get out their decibel meter.

And come back if & only if, any readings on their decibel meter exceeds the local noise ordinance.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    We've got neighbors that like to have outdoor parties in the summer. They'll play music outside well after dark. I can't hear the music when I'm inside but I can FEEL the bass rattling the walls. Its all about the frequency of the sound.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    lol... if he's out in the boonies - ain't no noise ordinance. People have to use judgement as to what's reasonable or not. Most often that's why people choose to live out in such places. They really don't WANT Bloomington style "let's regulate how loud a cow's allowed to flatulate" type of ordinances. Ya get to work it out with your neighbors. Shibumi's right...

Top Bottom