• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    It all depends on where you live. The spouse finally applied yesterday. Had everything filled out. Walked in, got fingerprinted, they finished the paperwork, waved to the chief after he signed the form ( he was watching tv), and was given the sealed envelope to take the post office. Time spent - 15 minutes. :)

redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    Pictures

I got my LTCH a couple years ago. I went thru the Evansville Police Dept. for my application. They finger printed me and took a couple mug shot. At the time I did not know it was not reguired to have your picture taken.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I got my LTCH a couple years ago. I went thru the Evansville Police Dept. for my application. They finger printed me and took a couple mug shot. At the time I did not know it was not reguired to have your picture taken.

There was a big hub-bub about this earlier this year. The 2nd Ammendment Patriots made a big deal about it and it was in the local papers. I think EPD has stopped taking the photos now.

BTW, have you seen the PW Shoot thread? We're having a shoot this Saturday and a BBQ after down here in Evansville. Just noticed you were local. PM if you want the details.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government

The mug shots were taken at the time you applied in order to save time when the arrest is made for a 10-32

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Wrong. A straw purchase involves:

1. Lying about being the actual purchaser
    and
    Buying a gun for someone else who is putting up the cash, even if they are your kid/family is a straw purchase.
    2. Buying for someone who would be unable to buy for him or herself.

My dad can buy me all the handguns he wants. I wish he would, because I'm too broke to buy too many more.

You guys are welcome to buy me handguns, too. thanks :D

It is legal to buy a firearm for someone as a GIFT. You are still the actual purchaser. If your son gives you cash for a gun and you buy it for him, you are NOT the actualy purchaser. This is a straw purchase.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Where a person purchases a firearm
    with the intent of making a gift of the
    firearm to another person, the person
    making the purchase is indeed the true
    purchaser. There is no straw purchaser
    in these instances. In the above example,
    if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm
    with his own money to give to Mr. Smith
    as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could
    lawfully have completed Form 4473.
    The use of gift certificates would also
    not fall within the category of straw purchases.
    The person redeeming the gift
    certificate would be the actual purchaser
    of the firearm and would be properly
    reflected as such in the dealer's records.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When my wife & I went to renew our LTCH in Marion County last year, the biggest hassle was getting into the City/County Building. I had to go through the metal detector 4 times, had to give up a handcuff key (I'd been carrying it on my keyring for so long I'd forgotten I had it), had to take a little seat-belt cutter key attachment back to my car, thought I was going to get arrested when I didn't want to remove my belt (non-metallic) to go through the metal detector. If I have to renew again, it will be a lifetime renewal or I'll move to another county...

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    A parent can legally gift a gun to one of their children. It's not a straw purchase.

Yes, can gift. However, the post specifically said "No your dad has to get it". If a person is purchasing a firearm for ANYONE who is otherwise ineligible to purchase it, it is a straw purchase. If money is changing hands, and that was the original intent, that is a straw purchase. If the ineligible person provides money ahead of time, that is most definitely a straw purchase.

A majority of the parent purchasing situations are straw purchases. The only way it isnt is if the parent is truly giving it as a gift.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Yes, can gift. However, the post specifically said "No your dad has to get it". If a person is purchasing a firearm for ANYONE who is otherwise ineligible to purchase it, it is a straw purchase. If money is changing hands, and that was the original intent, that is a straw purchase. If the ineligible person provides money ahead of time, that is most definitely a straw purchase.

A majority of the parent purchasing situations are straw purchases. The only way it isnt is if the parent is truly giving it as a gift.

More correctly, I earlier this week purchased a new gen 4 Glock 19. This is my pistol but I choose to allow my 17 yr old daughter to call it her pistol. She uses it at the range in my presense, I always am in charge of the weapon during transit to the public range. When she turns 18 she will get her LTCH after that I will allow her to carry my G19 till she is 21 then it will be technically gifted to her. Thats how it works under the law here.
    Did or will she pay for the firearm? NO! See it is a gift!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...When she turns 18 she will get her LTCH after that I will allow her to carry my G19 till she is 21 then it will be technically gifted to her. Thats how it works under the law here.

Where is here?

Nothing legally stopping a sale or gift at 18 in Indiana.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    More correctly, I earlier this week purchased a new gen 4 Glock 19. This is my pistol but I choose to allow my 17 yr old daughter to call it her pistol. She uses it at the range in my presense, I always am in charge of the weapon during transit to the public range. When she turns 18 she will get her LTCH after that I will allow her to carry my G19 till she is 21 then it will be technically gifted to her. Thats how it works under the law here.

yep, you can give it to her Grizman when she turns 18. you can sell it to her when she's 18, or she can buy her own off another individual when she's 18. all legal.

she just cannot purchase a pistol from a gun shop till shes 21. stupid law, but the law none the less.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

As others said, since it was "yours" to begin with, if you wanted to sell it to her when she turns 18, that would be legal. Or, you could just give it to her. Also legal. She just cant front you the money to go buy her one, nor can you buy it with the intent of selling it to her. Dumbest law ever.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    thats imteresting cause im from Highland and went through the same process. however i was not treated this way. the chief was very polite to me. i got my LTCH when i was 18 (19 now not big difference) and he mentioned nothing about responsibility. he was very friendly asked if i had a job what i planned for college etc. nothing to do with the LTCH just small talk. no big deal it was a very comfortable situation.
    all he asked about for the LTCH was if i had any enemies, why i wanted it ( protection of course), if i had any mental problems. all things that i found very reasonable to ask due to my request for the LTCH.

it sounds to me that you knowing him and his son may have something to do with this. i was not treated in the manner you mentioned. :dunno:

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    thats imteresting cause im from Highland and went through the same process. however i was not treated this way. the chief was very polite to me. i got my LTCH when i was 18 (19 now not big difference) and he mentioned nothing about responsibility. he was very friendly asked if i had a job what i planned for college etc. nothing to do with the LTCH just small talk. no big deal it was a very comfortable situation.
    all he asked about for the LTCH was if i had any enemies, why i wanted it ( protection of course), if i had any mental problems. all things that i found very reasonable to ask due to my request for the LTCH.

it sounds to me that you knowing him and his son may have something to do with this. i was not treated in the manner you mentioned. :dunno:

Yes knowing him on a personal level I think contributed to this "lecture" I'm sure not everyone is treated like this. I still don't think it is fair. And just wondering what your name is haha? Might know you?

Top Bottom