• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    After applying for my carry permit online and going through the L1 system for finger printing Monday, I continue the process by going to my local PD. As I give them my ID and take a seat and wait for awhile, as there were three other people applying infront of me. They eventually call me in and take my picture.

Now comes the good part they inform me I have to have a brief meeting with the police chief who I know on a personal level through his son. Not that I was worried just thought to myself that I was about to get lectured due to my age. So as I take a seat in his office the conversation went a little like this.

Chief "Hey how you doing?"
    Me "Good. How about yourself?"
    Chief "Good. Now why the hell do you want this?"
    Me "For my personal protection."
    Chief "From who? You know how big of responsibilty this is bigger than having a kid."
    Me "I understand sir, and I believe that as an adult now I understand the responsiblity I am about to take on."

At this point his attitude changed from him assuming I was not responsible enough to a more understanding, and he addressed me more polite knowing I acted quite mature and I was aware of what responsibilties I have when carrying a wepon.

After a brief conversation about where I can carry, and a suggestion about taking a formal training class I had a few questions for him. I asked about transporting a handgun to the range without a LTCH he answered telling me I could in the trunk of my car which (correct me if I'm wrong) is against the law. I also asked if I was allowed to purchase a handgun being 18 if it was from a private sale. He answered "No your dad has to get it." From my understanding and what I have read on the forum that at 18 you can purchase a handgun through a private sale, but 21 from a FFL. I didn't argue though I just wanted to get in and out.

After this expirence I was quite pleased how smooth it went. The only thing I wanted to get at and basically the whole point of this thread is why is it that since I'm younger all the sudden I don't understand the responsibilty I'm taking on and the need to give a lecture to? Also I was wondering where I could find some training in my area?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why did you have to get your picture taken? There's nothing in the statute that allows for that, nor is there a requirement that you have a face-to-face with the Chief. His confrontational attitude and the hoops you had to jump through sure make it sound like he was trying to scare you away from carrying.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Highland. I wasn't aware I had to get my picture taken either. I was aware that I would be sitting down with the chief, and I was already prepared for the confrotation as I expected it to happen due the my age, but I believe I handled it well and it didn't phase me.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    going through the L1 system
    What is this L1 system you speak of?
    Never heard that term before?

They eventually call me in and take my picture
    This picture thing, is NOT required and I have never heard of this anywhere before!

AND I do believe, at 18, you can "legally" purchase a handgun in a FTF personal transaction AND you CAN NOT take it to the range in your trunk "legally" GEEEEZ.....and this guy is the Chief LEO..........:n00b:

It sounds to me like you DID handle this confrontation quite well!

But this picture thing, is just plain weird!

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    L1 Identity System? The electronic fingerprinting. Whether or not the picture is required I complied as it seemed not to be an issue.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm glad your situation ended well, but I wonder how many eligible folks are kept from getting their LTCH because of the process this department uses, which is completely wrong.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    L1 Identity System? The electronic fingerprinting. Whether or not the picture is required I complied as it seemed not to be an issue.

Interesting, I had never heard it called the "L1 system" before.
    I guess I did the L1 system thingy too then, mine just did not include a picture and a lecture. :rolleyes:

Learn sumpin' new everyday!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Interesting, I had never heard it called the "L1 system" before.
    I guess I did the L1 system thingy too then, mine just did not include a picture and a lecture. :rolleyes:

Learn sumpin' new everyday!

Its the same system the BMV uses for the pics on your license.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP, perhaps you should call the licensing division of the State police and ask to talk to someone about the process you had to jump through.

-J-

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Highland. I wasn't aware I had to get my picture taken either. I was aware that I would be sitting down with the chief, and I was already prepared for the confrotation as I expected it to happen due the my age, but I believe I handled it well and it didn't phase me.

I got my first carry license in Highland too . . . in the early/mid 1980's :D

When I went to get mine it was at the URGING of the then chief, he told me I NEEDED one. So I went in during their alloted time (they only took applications on a VERY LIMITED schedule making it very inconvenient for most people to apply) and even though he had told me to get one and that I needed one, I still had to sit down for an interview with the chief.

Maybe that is just their policy in Highland?

I'm also curious if they still have very limited hours to accept applications?

No picture taken at that time, but that was back in the days of celluloid film :):

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    hes a chief, which is police terms for politician, so the fact that he did'nt know afew laws is'nt suprising in the least. scary and inexcusible yes, especialy since he requires interviews on the subject to sign off for peoples LTCH from the state. hes appointed by a friend thats the mayor probly. and usualy many more deserving officers are passed up for the possition because they did'nt play stinky finger or grab ass with "the man". im sure this isnt always the case, but I know of a few that it was.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Its the same system the BMV uses for the pics on your license.

I renewed my DL in '06 before they put in the "new" system, so I didn't have to do the facial recognition picture thingy, just your old fashion DL picture.

HOWEVER, when the lady took my picture, I crossed my eyes, and she let me use it on my actual DL. Next time we bump into each other I'll show it to you.

And yes, I have been pulled over with it, and yes, I crossed my eyes while talking to the nice State Trooper, and yes, I still got a speeding ticket.
    He had NO sympathy for a cross eyed moron, 62 in a 45. :n00b:

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If it were me, I might be inclined to send the Chief a letter....first thanking him for his time and it was a pleasure meeting with him...second, once again stating that you understand that carrying a firearm comes with more responsibility....and most importantly, third, correcting him on all of the gun laws he supposedly knows (or doesn't). I would include specific citations as well...hell, perhaps a copy of the citations/code so he can start giving out ACCURATE information to the citizens.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Although the visit with the chief is a bit out of the ordinary, I don't see the harm in it particularly in a rural area. The chief probably thinks he knows everybody. But you are right, in that a chief is closer to a politician many times than a cop.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I find it interesting with the whole "No your dad has to" thing. Technically that is a straw sale, and technically that is forbidden under federal law. Im not saying no one does it. Heck, I even have with my parents (though I had to "purchase" from my parents for legality sake). Its just interesting that he would say that.

As for lecturing... As other have said, its not required. No big deal though. You handled yourself well, thats what counts. When I went in to do mine, the lady was very respectful, even though I am younger. Probably helped that I had my work clothes on and my hair tucked back. The other day when I was in there, the same lady looked at me like I had a third eye. Its only been 6 weeks or so since I was in there, but I was wearing a tshirt and my hair was everywhere. Gotta love the discrimination!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I find it interesting with the whole "No your dad has to" thing. Technically that is a straw sale, and technically that is forbidden under federal law. Im not saying no one does it. Heck, I even have with my parents (though I had to "purchase" from my parents for legality sake). Its just interesting that he would say that.

A parent can legally gift a gun to one of their children. It's not a straw purchase.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I got my first carry license in Highland too . . . in the early/mid 1980's :D

When I went to get mine it was at the URGING of the then chief, he told me I NEEDED one. So I went in during their alloted time (they only took applications on a VERY LIMITED schedule making it very inconvenient for most people to apply) and even though he had told me to get one and that I needed one, I still had to sit down for an interview with the chief.

Maybe that is just their policy in Highland?

I'm also curious if they still have very limited hours to accept applications?

No picture taken at that time, but that was back in the days of celluloid film :):

Yes they only take application on Wednesdays 9-11.

All in all though is I'm getting my permit.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

Wrong. A straw purchase involves:

1. Lying about being the actual purchaser
    and
    2. Buying for someone who would be unable to buy for him or herself.

My dad can buy me all the handguns he wants. I wish he would, because I'm too broke to buy too many more.

You guys are welcome to buy me handguns, too. thanks :D

Top Bottom