• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The story...

Current vehicle problems have me pondering the sale of a pistol. I do not want to sell it.

The short of it...

An Ingo member is interested and suggested I simply drop it in the mail without informing the mail service of the contents of the package and he'll send payment with a copy of his IN DL. Immediately my spidey sense went off so I did a quick search and found this to be exceptionally illegal. I posted that I wanted IN DL and LTCH and a FTF transaction or FFL to FFL.

Thoughts?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The story...

Current vehicle problems have me pondering the sale of a pistol. I do not want to sell it.

The short of it...

An Ingo member is interested and suggested I simply drop it in the mail without informing the mail service of the contents of the package and he'll send payment with a copy of his IN DL. In terms of selling I'm a noob. I did a quick search and found this to be exceptionally illegal.

Thoughts?
    Make sure you have plenty of lube when you go to prison.
    Don't do it. No amount of money is worth going to jail.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I did list FTF with IN DL and LTCH. Being somewhat of a noob I wasn't sure how to react but if your gut feeling tells you something is wrong by all means, listen to it. I just found it weird coming from a member here who at first glance has activity in the forums.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'd suggest naming the INGO member in this thread so who know who to avoid dealing with.

Seriously, naming the user can't result in anything but a better community for INGO.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'd suggest naming the INGO member in this thread so who know who to avoid dealing with.

Seriously, naming the user can't result in anything but a better community for INGO.

Rick983

Should I even bother to reply to this person?

:patriot:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    One of 2 things comes immediately to mind, 1) Send it in the mail and then when you don't get payment what are you going to do, admit you broke the law? IE, they are looking to rip you off or 2) ATF is looking to make an arrest.

Either way if they are not willing to drive or have you send it to an FFL do the transfer RUN, DON"T WALK away from that deal!

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    :popcorn:
    I would send the request of the "Ingoer" to the mods.
    Perhaps the "Ingoer" is not aware of what exactly he is askin for?
    Hmmmm?

Last edited:

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Copied from the received email...

I just mentioned my dealer because some people are scared to send a gun to an individual. If we can do this, I will forward a copy of my Drivers license along with my payment so you will be 100% legal. If I were you, I would drop it in a priority mail box and send it. If you tell the goof ball at the post office that there's a gun in there, they will not know how to handle it. I'll leave the shipping to you. What is your best delivered price? Thanks.

I admit I hadn't done all of my research but was aware you simply can't just drop a gun in the mail. Also, I am aware that just because you don't know it's illegal doesn't mean that is a valid form of defense in a court of law. When he suggested this the gut didn't seem to like it one bit.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    [STRIKE]Is this the sale in question?
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...620-sig_sauer_p226_mk25_navy.html#post3281463

If so, he posts in the thread about cost of shipping to an FFL:dunno:

I live in southern Indiana. What would the total cost delivered to my FFL be. Please email me at reece@insightbb.com. Thanks

I, obviously, don't know the whole story or what may or may not have transpired through PMs, but on the surface he "looks" to be trying to go about it legally.
    [/STRIKE]

EDIT: Retracted above statements. More info/postings occurred while I was typing this. Please disregard and we will continue with your regularly scheduled thread.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If he happens upon this thread and it is legal by a further study by the previously mentioned "intrastate law" and I am wrong I apologize. It just seemed..."off." From what I read at gunbroker it is illegal for an unlicensed (non FFL) to send a pistol to an FFL. For this transaction I have to find a local FFL to transfer to his FFL and will require a 4473. Long guns appear to be legal to ship from an individual to a FFL.

GunBroker.com - Help Center

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Truth be told, I like it too much. I can perservere for another month without a vehicle. My distances are not that far and I do enjoy biking.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Comfort level

I don't care whether it's FTF, FFL-FFL, or any other method of transaction. If I get uncomfortable about a deal for any reason, it ain't gonna' happen. Maybe it's just a misunderstanding but I recommend following your instincts.

I'll take this opportunity to again suggest that membership in some forum is NOT evidence of credibility or honesty and in some cases, completely to the contrary.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    It is NOT illegal for a non ffl to send a firearm to an ffl. In or out of state. As long as the firearm belongs to the shipper. Just like the gun can be returned directly to the owner. Where the questions lie, is transferring ownership across state lines.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It is NOT illegal for a non ffl to send a firearm to [STRIKE]an ffl[/STRIKE] a resident of their state or an FFL in any state.

I fixed that for ya ^.

From the ATF's website...
    Tabs:
    ATF.gov>Industry >Firearms> Publications > General Publications> ATF p 5300.4 federal firearms regulation
    Page 178 (B8)
    May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state.
    A common carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I don't know the law about shipping guns and whatnot, but let's ask an even more basic question. The way I'm reading it though, he's asking you to ship it and then he'll pay you?

Let's ask an even more basic question, then:

Would you send any stranger ANYTHING of value with the "understanding" they will then send you payment later?

Top Bottom