• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm not making an attack here. Rather, extending a olive branch, letting people know there is room for you right along those of us that like to go Mach 2.

No olive branch necessary, as I have no beef against competitive shooters per se – only against those who try to represent shooting sports as anything other than a sport, or look down their noses at those who choose to spend their limited time and resources focusing on other forms of shooting they perceive as being more beneficial to their goals.

Again, I'm not about making a sport into something it's not. If I want to work on my golf swing, I'll go to the driving range, not to a football game. If I choose to compete in USPSA, I'll be going Mach 2 along with the rest of ya's. :D

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I was an athlete at one time. I have been around the sport of wrestling since 1982 as either a wrestler, coach or an official from junior high to the college ranks. There are a lot of reasons why boys and young men give as to why they do not participate in that sport, and there are lots of reasons they don't participate in USPSA. It is my experience and opinion that the stated reason is seldom the reason in either case. The truth can be a painful thing.

It is a lot easier to hide in the shadows and to criticize than it is to step up to the line and Make Ready. I firmly believe that in many cases people do not participate in USPSA because they don't want their butt handed to them publicly. It is harder to feel superior if the scoresheet is there telling a different story. I know it is the case in the other sport regardless of what

When you have stood in the middle of a wrestling mat with only 2 mm of lycra between your testicles and the rest of the world facing someone who is bigger, faster and stronger, shooting a stage with the use of great equipment is not that tough. I guess I am just lucky for the experiences I gained early in life, and I don't have to avoid pressure situations like the plague. My two cents.

I am new to this sport and I get my Butt handed to me every time I shoot.
    The point of the competition for me is a realistic source of stress. I am not going to beat anyone but I am getting better and I am way more comfortable with my gun handling ability. Most of all I have a great time.
    Coach you have to let me use this it's great:rockwoot:

Last edited:

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I have killed more gamers going mach 2 with FOF and sims do to lack of so called SA its fun......

to each is own i like to shoot matches to challenge myself and work on things against the timers

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I like the golf analogy. To borrow from that, what I'm suggesting is heading out to the local golf course for a round instead of hitting the driving range. ;)

Again, I hope people understand what freestyle shooting really means.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Why would I travel and pay money to shoot a match for no time/no score, when I can set up stages, run drills of my choosing, or practice at my home range for nothing but the cost of my annual membership?
    One thing to keep in mind, as humans we don't like to step out of our comfort zones. When we pick what we want to practice, we have a tendency to pick what we're good at to fulfill our own egos. After all, nobody likes shooting weak hand only at 50 yards, but you never know when it will be presented at a match. When you come across something at a match that's incredibly challenging to you, there's no choice but to shut up and make ready.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Steve, what does this mean? I've been reading this sentence over and over and can't get anywhere.

I can cipher it! I can cipher it!

I have killed (defeated) more gamers going mach 2 with FOF(force on force scenarios) and sims (simunition firing weapons for training, using high tech 9mm paint markers) do to lack of so called SA (situational awareness) its fun (yes, I live to beat down those smart azzed USPSA guys)......

No applause please. I read cereal boxes too.:):

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Wow, no wonder that post is in code.

Thanks for the translation.

I can't wait to see you shoot Steve, you obviously have skills. I'm sure you'll destroy the local USPSA competition. There's a match this Sunday at Atlanta, why not drop by and show everyone how its done?

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Why should you go to matches instead of practicing at home, in a more cost efficient manner??

Cuz it aint the same

Shoot a common drill at home 10 times and record your times and hits. Go to a match and shoot the same drill 10 times. Compare. I garuntee they wont be the same. Even when you dont feel nervous, or pressured or anything, it aint the same. The same stages at different matches or in practice net different results. Wanna really see how tight your stuff is? Go to a club where you dont know anyone and shoot. Matches also force screw ups that dont happen at home such as gun jams, partially loaded mags you forgot about, steel thats supposed to fall and dont, not knowing the stages that are coming next.

If I ever had to pick someone to be besides me in a gunfight, the best tactical, defense instructor is gonna be 50 spots behind the regular match shooter.

To those that compete, you have already tried practicing at home, try a match. If nothing else it will shake up your practice regimen and thats always a good thing.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    ROFL, you guys take this shiz too seriously. I think I shoot FNS/USPSA just as much for the fun and being around other shooters as I do trying to get better and faster.

I love BS'ing with the guys between stages and going out to eat afterwards. You learn a lot from listening to the guys who are really good and joking around with those who are still learning.

And honestly, who couldn't love hanging around RHINO at dinner time?

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    ROFL, you guys take this shiz too seriously. I think I shoot FNS/USPSA just as much for the fun and being around other shooters as I do trying to get better and faster.

I love BS'ing with the guys between stages and going out to eat afterwards. You learn a lot from listening to the guys who are really good and joking around with those who are still learning.

And honestly, who couldn't love hanging around RHINO at dinner time?

Poor Rhino didn't have a chance last Sunday with Coach, BW, Jake, BigCraig, Riverman and myself. Good times.

An older couple asked that we not eat all the food. THey had reason to be worried about not getting their rations. Our table was 3/4 "husky."

Anyway, I agree. At this point I am not tearing up the scoresheets, but I have learned so much and gained so much confidence handling my weapon. I have shot only steel and USPSA, I have not been around a group of people more willing to help than these guys. Each time I compete I get a little better, a little faster. I think the point is, any type of stressful shooting can only make you a little more prepared for a real life situation. Being a former athlete, muscle memory plays an important part of training. I think anytime you are training it can only help you out in a real life situation. Whatever the sport, the important this is that if it feels good, do it. Be safe, have fun, and for the love of god no Mic's. :ar15:

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Wow, no wonder that post is in code.

Thanks for the translation.

I can't wait to see you shoot Steve, you obviously have skills. I'm sure you'll destroy the local USPSA competition. There's a match this Sunday at Atlanta, why not drop by and show everyone how its done?

Yes i do, am the best nope, Never claimed to be have i used tactics over speed and fast drawing shoot move and scoot types bet your *** i have.

does it mean im better no that old saying of age and treachery vs youth and etc... ps its different when there is no ****ing timer, no boxes the threats are shooting and moving back at you you dont have a gun in hand with a 2 pound trigger super secret handloads and optics, or the guy is breathing on you and ready to rock or you just went toe to toe and are now having your fire your gun from gut retention covered under layers of clothing not wearing slippers to feel the ground been there

I like games dont get me wrong there fun but acting like its the all end all of end all. there are equal amounts in each but i have seen many a great gammer killed in FOF as well tactical so called shooters arent the end all either. but because your a fast freak shooting machine doesnt make yo a super aware gun fighter either...

I have know cops that have had 30 years on the job out shoot kids half there age because of cooler heads and facing life and death one i know shot and killed 2 guys while walking out of fast food joint he never dropped the lunch bag.

we had one hot shot whom fired 15 rounds at a guy he never missed an IDPA match or 3 gun he missed with every round fired his answer hell the guy was moving and shooting back,

am i a good shooter by many yes i am but other nope not so much no matter what someone is better. your, more than welcome to come shoot down here anytime as well.

I love to pick others heads on what they think or would do and to watch them shoot. more so when they are great shooters and so much better than I No ego here im not the best im not the badest but i do really well for me,

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    To use a structured match for that purpose while ignoring match rules/time/scoring seems like trying to drive a round peg into a square hole, and would not be fair to those who are there to play the game.

I've been thinking about this.

There was never a suggestion to ignore the rules. Why would anyone suggest such a thing? Did I give anyone the impression that you should (that's not rhetorical)? Are people under the impression that we have this complicated set of rules that must be followed for every pull of the trigger? Are there?

What I did say was if someone wanted to use certain techniques learned in defensive/tactical training that they certainly could. Would using any of those things I'm alluding to be faster or better than what us gamers use? I don't know. Maybe? Is it possible? I'd like to think so.

Folks, bring your EDC gear, 4-5 magazines (I know that isn't EDC, but sometimes we have a 32 rd stage or two) and step on the line and at least give it a go. There is a wall that exists that is, in my mind, completely unnecessary. Bring your defensive techniques, keep your muzzle down range, go Mach 2 if you want, andget out of it whatever you want.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    am i a good shooter by many yes i am but other nope not so much no matter what someone is better. your, more than welcome to come shoot down here anytime as well.

Actually, I'm sure you'd outshoot me. I have been shooting for a year, and have had some trouble improving my scores. It's all mental for me - once that buzzer goes off I often loose my head. But there are some great shooters that attend matches around Indiana. Those are the folks I would like to have around in a "tactical" situation.

I apologize for my earlier post. Your one-liner seemed so full of ego... it got me kind of PO'ed. Thanks for clarifying.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Never ego confident yes, very confident. because one is a good or great shooter doesnt make them make a good tactican or make them great gun fighters...

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I don't know, I've done pretty good in gunfights. So far, I've managed to avoid them, like just about everyone else.

And one thing I've learned from 4 Awerbuck and 3 Pat Rogers training courses, is you you can do everything right and still end up dead.

I believe (and I may be wrong, I've been married 3 times, I'm known to make mistakes), that my ability to draw and fire quickly and accurately will prevail. Non-LEO gunfights that involve movement to cover and engaging multiple armed, determined assailants have to be about as rare as hitting the IN lottery two weeks in a row. But by all means, let's devote our lives to being ready for that event to happen.

I'm trying to have a plan so when I don't hit the lottery I don't kill myself with so much wealth. I'm still having trouble with that one.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And one thing I've learned from 4 Awerbuck and 3 Pat Rogers training courses, is you you can do everything right and still end up dead.

Wow, all that training from those reputable names, yet you are still a Single Stack shooting gamer guy. :):

(notes Bill's name at the top of Sunday's score sheet.)

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Wow, all that training from those reputable names, yet you are still a Single Stack shooting gamer guy. :):

(notes Bill's name at the top of Sunday's score sheet.)

Yeah, I know. My parents tried to install good values in me but it never took.....lol

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    It looked like you did just fine to me Bill :ar15:
    And you guys are correct the guys and gals that have been shooting uspsa are the most helpful bunch of people that I have meet. I do not shoot IDPA but I have watched it on the telivision a couple times and I can see how it could get confusing going back and forth from one to the other. But in general we are all just out there to better ourselves and have fun with people with some of the same interests as ourselves. I have seem a few people from IDPA shooting at our USPSA matches and they seem to do just fine. Ive been shooting it for about 2 1/2 years my son at 15 shooting it for about a year and he's allready getting better than me. And I too love the BS between during and after the match. It is a great way to spend a sunday in the rain with your kid.:):

Daniel

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom