• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Wanting input on smaller size SUV. Equinox-4-runner size. Good milage, safety, price. Input or experience welcome. For my girlfriend, and drives 100 miles daily to work. Wants something in line with these, and good in all weather coditions. Thanks in advance.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If she's doing 100 miles a day you don't want an SUV. The gas costs will eat her alive. Get an AWD car or something. Is she hauling stuff? If she is then look at one of the smaller Pilots or Rav 4's. They do well and the costs aren't bad. My wife has a Rav and she's been very pleased with it. I have a 4-Runner and it does a great job, even at 10 years old. Seriously, tho. If she's not hauling stuff and only commuting get a car with high mileage and some comfort features. Not an SUV.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I just picked up an '00 explorer, awd eddie bauer, fully loaded, v8. If you counter the fuel mileage against the purchase price, in the long run it'll cost me as much or less to operate as a newer, slightly more efficient suv. Just be sure you factor in your insurance costs, fuel, repair and other related expenses into your decision before purchasing. If you take on a $400+ per month car payment and full coverage insurance to get a vehicle that gets 28 mpg my paid with cash, $3500, 18mpg probably comes out ahead.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I wouldn't put the pilot and rav4 in the same category. The pilot is a seven seater. A comp to the rav4 would be the crv. Both are smaller, 4wd and four cylinder. With her driving 100 miles daily she'll need an engine that won't quit, so I'd look at either of those two.

We have two Hondas and thus far they're the only cars we have yet to kill and I drive at least fifty to sixty miles per day.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    If I was buying I would go 4runner.
    One the resale value. They hold their value really well. (Reason I bought my Tacoma) Two they are very dependable.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    just went through this with the wife. I liked the CR-V and she was not as sold. She wanted the Equinox so we went with that. It turns out that I end up driving it to Chicago every day and am getting about 30-31 mpg to and from work. It is really spacious and standard features are great. I really do like it and feel it is better than the CR-V. We decided just to get the 2wd front wheel drive. 4wd just kills the gas mileage and costs more. FWD does fine in regular snow, no reason to be out in the deep stuff.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    I will add though, the resale on a Toyota is amazing, looking at the lot, they had some 2008-2010 CR-Vs that cost as much as a new Chevy Equinox.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I will add though, the resale on a Toyota is amazing, looking at the lot, they had some 2008-2010 CR-Vs that cost as much as a new Chevy Equinox.
    This is true. For the last two years or so the dealership where my wife bought her Rav has been in contact numerous times trying to buy hers from her. They're always looking for used Toyota's. And offering nice prices, too.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have rented a Santa Fe more than several times for gun school/gun nut trips. It is a very utilitarian vehicle.

Since no one has suggested it, have you considered the SIA Tribeca B9?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    why would 4 wheel drive kill mileage? in the snow it adds quite a bit of peace of mind. front wheel drive vehicles do fine in snow, but add in other people commuting to work + "smart snow drivers", + highway speeds, and ill eat a 3 MPG loss to know if i need to go through a ditch, im not getting stuck.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    why would 4 wheel drive kill mileage? in the snow it adds quite a bit of peace of mind. front wheel drive vehicles do fine in snow, but add in other people commuting to work + "smart snow drivers", + highway speeds, and ill eat a 3 MPG loss to know if i need to go through a ditch, im not getting stuck.

The only thing that 4wd helps with during snow is getting started. You can't slow down any faster with it. :D

Get some good snow tires instead. ;)

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I have rented a Santa Fe more than several times for gun school/gun nut trips. It is a very utilitarian vehicle.

Since no one has suggested it, have you considered the SIA Tribeca B9?

the tribeca is a decent vehicle, subaru is starting to phase them out due to "non sales". mileage is mediokre 19-23, and i know from experience, the doors are AWFUL to work on..

Top Bottom