• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    I frequent quite a few auctions and buy alot of misc gun parts, mags, ammo exc. Well, the last auction I went to apparently had 2 homemade supressors in the bottom of the box. Yes, im aware its illegal. At first I wasn't sure if it was a supressor, so my brilliant mind decided to take it to a local gun store....:dunno: They wouldnt touch it bare handed. They said it had a baffel.... Not sure what that is entirely. On these there were also tiny pin size holes drilled in the side, gas releases maybe? However there was no threads to screw it on to a barrel. It looked to have been made on a lathe, it was very heave and a good 12-14" long, made of steel. There was a what looked to be a .223 size channel all the way through.

They instructed me to wipe it down of all finger prints and throw it in a dumpster....

It's no longer in my posession, I did take pictures of it before though. I am uncertain if I should have even post this let alone the pictures.

Thoughts about this situation.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My thoughts are that it is absolute crap that a person cannot make with their own two hands a perfectly legal device and use it for perfectly legal purposes without paying ransom to the government.

As far as the legal ramifications of you technically "purchasing" a suppressor; I have no idea what the possible ramifications of that might be.

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    My thoughts to, just another way for them to track US and make money though.

I understand I did technically purchase it, but it was a box lot full of other items. wasnt purchased for the supressor. I got a large Alice pack for $6 and a buncha other goodies with it.

You would think the auction company would have caught it, because I'm pretty certain they sent allowed to legally sell them. But they don't have threads so maybe they weren't sure what they were.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    My thoughts to, just another way for them to track US and make money though.

I understand I did technically purchase it, but it was a box lot full of other items. wasnt purchased for the supressor. I got a large Alice pack for $6 and a buncha other goodies with it.

You would think the auction company would have caught it, because I'm pretty certain they sent allowed to legally sell them. But they don't have threads so maybe they weren't sure what they were.
    Could it be that you are not absolutely certain what it was? Might be a homemade muffler for a lawn mower. That would tend to be my story anyway.

Also I think I would have taken a plasma cutter to it before I got rid of it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It would be pretty hard to weasel charges and a conviction out of a post that you accidentally discovered and subsequently disposed of a piece of what you think may have been contraband, but for future reference do keep in mind that the .gov only grants understanding for 'honest mistakes' in the event of the offense being on the part of the .gov personnel. For example, had you been caught with this device, even though it is not functional in the condition you found it, you would not have received any mercy, where, by contrast, had an FBI or ATF team kicked in your grandma's door at 0300 and shot her in the middle of a half-asleep reaction to their presence as opposed to raiding the criminal who lives at 327 Beech street, not Walnut street, that would be an honest mistake that you would be expected to understand and accept in the name of the greater good.

The government is not about reason. Don't ever forget that. If it were, they would not enforce the restrictions on SBRs since that was included to prevent people from converting unregulated rifles into handguns which originally were included in the NFA, the removal of which theoretically eliminated the purpose for restricting SBRs.

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    Well, I spoke with a fellow Indigo member who is an IMPD offier. We already had a meet set up to trade some ammo. I'm bringing them along for him to look at, he said he has some friends in the ATF who would let me know what needs to be done with no repercussions.

I also stated they weren't in my possession not that I got rid of them. I wasn't about to just throw them in a dumpster so anyone could grab them.

2n6ekps.jpg

11s2v0o.jpg

2a50oer.jpg

292wnlt.jpg

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    You have to be careful what you leave in a photo you post. Bush Beer? St.Francis Hospital? Interesting herringbone pattern on the wall? green plastic clothes hamper? With those clues and if you lived in Hamilton County, the swat team would be on your doorstep by now!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Those look like mock suppressors, I don't really see any baffles.
    I agree. It's really hard to tell but it appears they're somewhat hollow tubes meant to slide over a barrel and "look" like a suppressor. May be a gray area because I'm sure the ATF could figure out a way to make the "decrease" the report of a firearm and therefore make them "suppressors".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    They look to me to be recoil suppressors.
    Sound suppressor needs baffles to suppress the shock wave.
    The baffles are configured to the speed of the bullet.
    That reduces the harmonics.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Not sure what they are, but they are nice ones.
    I certainly wouldn't worry about possessing them, if they are not attached to a firearm and there is no visible means to attach them to a firearm, there really is no reason to believe they are silencers. Unless there is evidence to support the fact that it is, or it's intended purpose is to be a firearm silencer, it's scrap steel. JMO

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    They were made to slide over a barrel. The smaller one even had a cut out for the front sight of whatever gun it was made for. The pictures dont show much about the inside. But they were the real deal, they were no just hollow, channels, exc. Somebody knew how to work a lathe and did a pretty damn good job for a garage job.

A suppressor doesn't have to have threads though to be illegal. The issue with them is that they were homemade. If they had a manufacturer stamps or something I could have gotten the stamp as they were held by a class 3 until approved.

Top Bottom