• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    As a follow up to the Britannic's demise I read the below article. The propellers, ick! And Violet Jessop, just wow!

The evacuation, however, was not perfectly smooth, according to History.com. The ship's captain directed the boat towards the nearest land with the goal of running her aground. But as the ship charged ahead, the crew attempted to launch several lifeboats unbidden. The ship's spinning propellers quickly sucked them in, killing those aboard the rafts. Even so, over 1,000 passengers escaped with their lives and the 30 people who died in the sinking of the Britannic stands in stark contrast to the more than 1,500 lives lost aboard the Titanic.

The disasters that befell the Britannic, the Titanic, and the pair's older sister, the Olympic, all had something (or someone) in common, Emily Upton writes for Today I Found Out—a woman named Violet Jessop. As a crew member and nurse, Jessop worked on all three ships, and miraculously escaped each one alive even though the incidents left two of the vessels nestled on the ocean floor. Having cheated death three times, Jessop eventually passed away in 1971 at the age of 84.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I really thought this trip to submerged shipwrecks sounded like something fun. How awesome to travel that deep to witness a historic ship, I thought. I have since removed this from my must-do list.

Side note: there exist a theory that the shipwreck we identify as the Titanic is actually one of her sister-ships and that the location of the actual Titanic wreck is either undiscovered or purposely hidden. I had never heard of this prior to the loss of this janky submersible.

I know where the real Titanic is. If you are interested, I can set you up on a self guided charter tour using one of my vessels for only $10,000.

Cash up front.
    Liability waiver.
    No refunds.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    As a follow up to the Britannic's demise I read the below article. The propellers, ick! And Violet Jessop, just wow!

The evacuation, however, was not perfectly smooth, according to History.com. The ship's captain directed the boat towards the nearest land with the goal of running her aground. But as the ship charged ahead, the crew attempted to launch several lifeboats unbidden. The ship's spinning propellers quickly sucked them in, killing those aboard the rafts. Even so, over 1,000 passengers escaped with their lives and the 30 people who died in the sinking of the Britannic stands in stark contrast to the more than 1,500 lives lost aboard the Titanic.

The disasters that befell the Britannic, the Titanic, and the pair's older sister, the Olympic, all had something (or someone) in common, Emily Upton writes for Today I Found Out—a woman named Violet Jessop. As a crew member and nurse, Jessop worked on all three ships, and miraculously escaped each one alive even though the incidents left two of the vessels nestled on the ocean floor. Having cheated death three times, Jessop eventually passed away in 1971 at the age of 84.

Not only did she survive more siblings than the "unsinkable Molly Brown", Jessop was much better looking.

1726867540256.png

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I really thought this trip to submerged shipwrecks sounded like something fun. How awesome to travel that deep to witness a historic ship, I thought. I have since removed this from my must-do list.

Side note: there exist a theory that the shipwreck we identify as the Titanic is actually one of her sister-ships and that the location of the actual Titanic wreck is either undiscovered or purposely hidden. I had never heard of this prior to the loss of this janky submersible.
    That's interesting, never heard that.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I know where the real Titanic is. If you are interested, I can set you up on a self guided charter tour using one of my vessels for only $10,000.

Cash up front.
    Liability waiver.
    No refunds.
    As long as you are the pilot.

I don't care about the trip.

I just want to enjoy the company.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, I'm not really versed in the specifics. I wasn't even aware there were sister ships until this submersible accident. It was some theory about switching the Olympic with the Titantic. Throw in J.P. Morgan, insurance fraud and mummies, the rabbit hole goes deep. Personally, I'm sticking with the official account; a ship hit an iceberg and sank.

That theory is just a 'conspiracy theory'
    Debunked 1,000 ways.
    But you know, that doesn't stop them.

This guy has a BUTTLOAD of info about the titanic.
    Somewhere in there, he has a discussion about the "swap" theory.

Top Bottom