• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I use it when baking bread from scratch. It would be something to barter with. Good in coffee, preserving foods (when mixed with salt and other spices), medical purposes, and a host of others...

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Honey or maple syrup is way better than processed and refined sugar! That crap is poison, and no one should be eating it. I wouldn't waste 1/4 shelf on processed white sugar. It will never be something you need to survive.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Sugar never goes bad, but it can get hard...if that happens you can try drying it on a very low heat in the oven or in a dehydrator....or you can make it into a syrup. People are correct when they say you need a treat once in a while...during a long term shtf scenario a cookie might just get your thought a rough time...especially kids. Plus you need it to preserve jams and jelly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I am going to practice growing and processing stevia this summer. I am just wondering if you make a syrup out of it and then spread it thin in a dehydrator if it will become a usable
    powder when scarped off.
    Can't find any info on making a powder. But will give it a shot.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I go through 1 5 gallon bucket every year simply for all the jams and ther canning we do. I keep 2 buckets, one for use and one for storage. We also stock honey, but sugar is a great foodstuff to store if you have the space. We simply put the sugar in a 5 gallon mylar with a gamma seal lid and it is good to go.

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    Sugar as well as an assortment of spices can help prevent food "fatigue". Many folks load up on rice and beans,wheat and such. By providing some variety in tastes you can help prevent your stored food from becoming boring.

GN

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Honey or maple syrup is way better than processed and refined sugar! That crap is poison, and no one should be eating it. I wouldn't waste 1/4 shelf on processed white sugar. It will never be something you need to survive.

:yesway: I make about 1,000 gallons of maple syrup per year. Can't complain when someone promotes it.:D

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am going to practice growing and processing stevia this summer. I am just wondering if you make a syrup out of it and then spread it thin in a dehydrator if it will become a usable
    powder when scarped off.
    Can't find any info on making a powder. But will give it a shot.

You might try growing sorghum as well. Very drought resistant, and provides a decent yield of sugar.

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    :yesway: I make about 1,000 gallons of maple syrup per year. Can't complain when someone promotes it.:D

Do you sell it?

I don't even have refined sugar in my regular pantry.

I would also never buy rice, beans or wheat for survival. It all too highly processed to be any kind of good fuel for your body, or your body does not digest it well, and therefore it's not of much use nutrition-wise. So I guess if you are just aiming for short-term empty calories, it's OK. I also wouldn't make or buy jelly/jam, dehydrated fruits are a much better way to preserve the benefits of eating fruit, without the toxic white sugar. Why destroy the natural sweetness with a gallon of sugar?

Is survival with Diabetes, heart disease, cancer and obesity preferable?

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    You will want something sweet eventually. Biquick type mix can be made into a lot more things when you add sugar. If nothing else, it will be a great barter item.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    My wife is the baker and she tells me that we have to have it for baking. She said that it helps make bread rise and it is used to make icing.

If you don't bake or make lemon aid, or want coffee with sugar or want to trade for some thing you need then you don't need to stock it. We stock honey, sugar and brown sugar. The wife likes honey with her tea.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Do you sell it?

I don't even have refined sugar in my regular pantry.

I would also never buy rice, beans or wheat for survival. It all too highly processed to be any kind of good fuel for your body, or your body does not digest it well, and therefore it's not of much use nutrition-wise. So I guess if you are just aiming for short-term empty calories, it's OK. I also wouldn't make or buy jelly/jam, dehydrated fruits are a much better way to preserve the benefits of eating fruit, without the toxic white sugar. Why destroy the natural sweetness with a gallon of sugar?

Is survival with Diabetes, heart disease, cancer and obesity preferable?

Yes, we do sell it.

I do not regularly consume any white food - sugar, flour, rice etc. I mainly follow a low carb diet, and have found that I can control reflux disease by staying vigilant. I do NOT take any meds for it. This seems to be a large issue all down through my family - I suspect we are unable to digest carbs properly. Anyway, it works! I consume lots of veggies and very limited fruit and other sugars (unfortunately that includes syrup). I do add a very small amount of syrup to my morning oatmeal (when that is on the menu).

Top Bottom