• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My hunting partner finally pulled a nice bull down yesterday afternoon. We came down in September for the season opener but only stayed three days, the warm weather had the elk staying in the timber until dark and heading back in before sun up. We stayed in touch with the guide who recommended coming back mid December. We drove down Friday afternoon and were on the prowl before daylight yesterday.

Most of the elk in KY are on active or reclaimed coal mine property. Much of these areas look like a tiered cake. Relatively flat on top with "benches" on the way down. We went to this particular property first thing and spent a couple hours glassing but didn't see anything. We spent the next couple of hours doing the same on other properties and didn't see any elk but it seemed we were constantly encountering deer and rabbit hunters. We decided to head back to this property around mid day and we spotted two decent bulls and a spike shortly after arriving.

The bull pictured was close to a mile away when we spotted him and we couldn't get a good look at his antlers. The other bull was with a spike and looked decent so we tried to put a stalk on them. We climbed up above them but the brush was too thick and we couldn't see them from above. We tried to drop back down in front of them but had the sun in our face and wind at our backs, not a good combo.

We circled around the (small) mountain we were on and saw that this bull was still on the same bench we'd seen him on earlier and he was slowly working his way our direction. We spent the next two hours trying to get close and somehow ended up on a bench above him and we had gone 400 yards past him. He bedded down so we climbed down a 250' rock drainage and slipped below the bench he was on. We spent about an hour crawling through the tall grass below him and my partner climbed up while I stayed planted with the camera in the grass.

As soon as he got on top of the bench the bull spotted him and jumped up. He only ran about 20yds then stopped to look back and caught an arrow for the mistake. He ran about 100yds and stood there hurting. My partner was able to sneak through the grass to within 70 and put the second arrow in him. He almost didn't react to the second on and we watched him for a half hour until he finally went down.

It was an awesome hunt and I feel like I got run over by a train but it was worth it. He's no record book bull but definitely better than heading home empty handed. I'll be putting in for tags every year in hopes that I can get drawn. There are some monster bulls down here and I really enjoyed hunting in this terrain.

Elk_zpsgowvjwrc.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    That's a great bull! I would definitely be proud of that! What do elk tags in KY cost? Might have to add that to my future hunt list.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The tags are $500 if you can get drawn. It's pretty close to being a once in a lifetime opportunity, took my partner 16 years to get drawn. There is no preference point system so everyone starts off with the same odds each year. Guide fee was $3500.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    Very cool, congrats. I killed an archery cow in 2013 hoping to get drawn for a bull sometime. We hunted in the Hazzard LEA

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Nice write up and great hunt. I miss hunting in KY, I enjoy using the terrain to stalk. I can see your description of the hunt. Nice sunny pic too!

We have an Elk herd not far from the house, and now a second one being started up. I honestly doubt their numbers will ever approach sustainable enough to hunt. Just wolf food here. I think we trade grouse for the KY Elk.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    All that I've ever heard about elk is that the meat is outstanding.
    Great job getting one, and a totally legit midwestern bull, too!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    And I thought it was a story about Mitch McConnell having an accident while exercising. My bad...

Nice bull!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Awesome - congrats! I can imagine what you mean by feeling like you got hit by a train! I've done some stalking-type hunting in Texas, but the terrain didn't have nearly that much vertical change. If I'd done what you did, I'd still be sitting there. :D

Top Bottom