• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Great bull. What county were you hunting in? I have friends that live in Martin county and have elk everywhere, everywhere you can't hunt. They hang out at the airport property and in some restricted property.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not sure on the county. We were in the area of Hindman so possibly Knott County but its possible we ventured into neighboring counties as well. Being born and raised in Indiana I found it unsettling just how quickly I became disoriented when we started driving. Couldn't tell which direction we were headed or how to get back to where we came from. There isn't a straight stretch of road anywhere lol.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not sure on the county. We were in the area of Hindman so possibly Knott County but its possible we ventured into neighboring counties as well. Being born and raised in Indiana I found it unsettling just how quickly I became disoriented when we started driving. Couldn't tell which direction we were headed or how to get back to where we came from. There isn't a straight stretch of road anywhere lol.

Don't feel bad. Nine tenths of the reason for this is that Kentucky is a slightly older state than Indiana. We used that newfangled idea of surveying the state with a grid-pattern range and township system with a network made up mostly of nice straight north and south roads with the only real foible being the occasional jog in the road used to correct for the fact that a square grid pattern doesn't truly fit on a spherical section which is what land area truly is. By contrast, Kentucky's system of survey was based on old deeds with crap like defining a property by a certain old tree, the course of a creek, a big rock (which for today's surveyor, this causes fits because the tree has long since died, the creek changed course, and someone moved the rock), and the roads run pretty much exactly where someone dropped a blade behind the pack of goats, cattle, or deer which originally made the path that meanders without rhyme or reason so far as any organized system of geography is concerned. The bottom line is that your rational mind is having a bit of difficulty with unrestrained chaos.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I defeated a cow in a staring contest near Lewisport once. I was on my way home from a 3-gun match at Owensboro R&P Club and saw it standing by a fence near the road. I had to accept the challenge.

That's as close as I have come to seeing an elk in Kentucky. I've seen plenty in the elk farms here in west central Indiana, though!

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    That's a nice Kentucky bull. Looks like they've come a long way with the herd down there. It's nice to know you don't have to drive 1500 miles to hunt bulls of that size. Best meat in the world IMO. Congrats to your buddy!

Top Bottom