• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    You do realize they don't actually "illegal" street race don't you? I am sure these illegal street races have construction lights to light up the road so cameras can get good video, traffic control so no one drives down the road on accident, and the production company more then likely requires them to have paramedics, cops and other personnel on site for insurance reasons. The NHRA is going to lose more then they bargained for with those letters. The show has a lot more people watching then what the NHRA does. They will be the big losers and look like whiny children pouting. Someone posted earlier in this thread that they are already been moved to overnights when being shown on ESPN. I am sure all the "street outlaws" guys are laughing all the way to the bank with those letters.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Yeah, I realized they were trying to make it look like they were doing something illegal, it's a bit hard to believe, when you see those tower light generators in the background. But it does make for good TV.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    You do realize they don't actually "illegal" street race don't you? I am sure these illegal street races have construction lights to light up the road so cameras can get good video, traffic control so no one drives down the road on accident, and the production company more then likely requires them to have paramedics, cops and other personnel on site for insurance reasons. The NHRA is going to lose more then they bargained for with those letters. The show has a lot more people watching then what the NHRA does. They will be the big losers and look like whiny children pouting. Someone posted earlier in this thread that they are already been moved to overnights when being shown on ESPN. I am sure all the "street outlaws" guys are laughing all the way to the bank with those letters.

You do realize they are racing on the street even if the police have the roads closed off and they put light up so they can film it ... Right ? I thinks its a great way to have a real street race and to have paramedics, cops and other personnel on site for insurance reasons .. Its on the street and not a drag strip, so to answer your question yes I do and think its a great idea.... That's prob. why more people watch it then the NHRA drags... Its real racing, no prepped track... The Discovery channel will fight to keep them on there channel for the ratings, but if ESPN picks it up it will be over money they are paying to the racers so you can't blame them for getting paid for what they like to do... I'm sure given the chance anyone who likes to race would do the same thing... I believe its every ones dream to get paid for doing something you truly love to do, then it don't feel like a job....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A guy I work with bought a drag car and wants to get on the show. If he makes it, I'll let you know which one he is.

Wish him luck. There is a line formed at the rear of the building. The slow cars are very low 10 second or high 9 second cars. To get a track car to run 9's on a street set up is a lot harder than it looks.

The NHRA local track has a Tuesday night street car run what ya-brung session. $10 get in (possibly more now) and you can beat the crap out of your car on a real race track and get real performance numbers. It was wildly popular and fills the pits. Money races are common. We ran more than our share of "Grudge" or money races at that facility.
    They still have them. Safety is always an issue. Proper gear and roll cages are required for the fast cars.

nsolimini

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ellettsville
    Somebody paints their car white. Big Cheif maybe?

Yes, he now calls it the Albino Crow
    1513765_527034080773200_3445631384753923199_n.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am looking forward to it also. I wish we could see a big tire Ford in the top 5 but I guess Dominator will have to do for now.

No knock but you 1st have to get a big tire Ford involved. They are so spendy to build.
    In my time racing I have succumbed to a few fast fords.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    N
    No knock but you 1st have to get a big tire Ford involved. They are so spendy to build.
    In my time racing I have succumbed to a few fast fords.

I totally agree, but there is the one big tire mustang. I don't remember his name but he was the guy who moved from the strip to the street. If not a ford then another Mopar besides dom.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    N

I totally agree, but there is the one big tire mustang. I don't remember his name but he was the guy who moved from the strip to the street. If not a ford then another Mopar besides dom.

$Mopar$....Same deal.
    I had a Hemi powered Dodge back in the day. Stupid fast.....seriously expensive to own.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    In my eyes a true 'street race' is one you drive your car to, race it, then drive the same car home. People trailer their cars to the track, not the street. Still makes for a good TV show, though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my eyes a true 'street race' is one you drive your car to, race it, then drive the same car home. People trailer their cars to the track, not the street. Still makes for a good TV show, though.

There were guys trailering there cars cross town way the heck back when. If you spend Friday night putting the big gears and tires on your car for the money race on Saturday night you will not drive it across town. Trailer to a few miles out, drop the car, drive to the big show to get the temps up and kick some ass. Drive it back to the trailer and off to home.
    Also if you pop something racing the truck/trailer are close at hand.

Top Bottom