• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    My wife wanted to surprise me and pick up a Sig 1911 I had on layaway at Blythes Valpo. They politely informed her they could not complete the transaction and since she came a good distance they gave her a box of 45 ACP for the inconvenience.
    So this isn't a total thread jack - not enough info. You are probably right but it would be a ready-shoot-aim

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    OP, you obviously built a profile on this couple as to why he was an improper person and it was a straw purchase. What was in your profile that led you to believe it was a straw purchase?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Did you watch the complete transaction or just a few moments of it? Did she fill out the form then have him sign it? Maybe her handwriting is better than his. I've never seen where the signing person had to fill out the form. Lots of ASSumption, IMHO.
    Dan

Yes I watched the entire transaction. I watched and listen to the conversation before they got to the table and after the tranaction. It was clearly a straw purchase. No ASSumptions except by you and others.
    My point is with all the wonderful positive press, purple imtended, why is it ok by the majority here, based on the replies, to give the antis more things to use against us?
    If we don't police ourselves then we are falling into their hands.
    The replies have told me that people want to ***** about all the guns the thugs get but don't really want to do anything about stopping it.

Bob

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Yes I watched the entire transaction. I watched and listen to the conversation before they got to the table and after the tranaction. It was clearly a straw purchase. No ASSumptions except by you and others.
    My point is with all the wonderful positive press, purple imtended, why is it ok by the majority here, based on the replies, to give the antis more things to use against us?
    If we don't police ourselves then we are falling into their hands.
    The replies have told me that people want to ***** about all the guns the thugs get but don't really want to do anything about stopping it.

Bob

Seriously Bob, you say it was a straw purchase with about 1/4 of the story, if that, and everybody should jump on the Bob bandwagon and say you should tackle the lady screaming at her to stop resisting. YOU say it was clearly a straw purchase, YOU were apparently stalking these people for some reason to be able to be so sure about this. I am with the previous poster that there is a reason you are leaving out that you were so suspicious of in the first place.
    I do apologize that this thread didn't go the way you planned and your feelings are hurt. I, along with most on here, certainly do not want to do anything but help our cause.
    I do think next time you should have a stun gun at the ready to take care of these thugs before things go to far.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Seriously Bob, you say it was a straw purchase with about 1/4 of the story, if that, and everybody should jump on the Bob bandwagon and say you should tackle the lady screaming at her to stop resisting. YOU say it was clearly a straw purchase, YOU were apparently stalking these people for some reason to be able to be so sure about this. I am with the previous poster that there is a reason you are leaving out that you were so suspicious of in the first place.
    I do apologize that this thread didn't go the way you planned and your feelings are hurt. I, along with most on here, certainly do not want to do anything but help our cause.
    I do think next time you should have a stun gun at the ready to take care of these thugs before things go to far.

Again you are making ASSumptions. I was standing next to the dealers table, watched and heard the "couple" pointing and discussing the weapon purchase and then observed the "plan" play out. I was not "stalking" anybody. I get paid to be observant at my job and by being observant I made it through being a Grunt for 21 years and 3 years as a contractor in Iraq. When something doesn't seem "right" I pay attention.
    BTW, I stated in the beginning it was clearly a straw purchase but others decided that maybe it wasn't. My question was based on observing an obvious straw purchase- what would you do and that has been answered by the replies. I had no "plan" for the thread and honestly it has met my expectations. As to hurt feelings, don't flatter yourself.

Bob

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Either way, I agree that it's nobody's business (even the ATF's).

Agreed. We need to go back to the days when you could buy a Garand or other arms mail order.

KleinsAd1963.jpg

Please note conspicuous lack of purple.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Again you are making ASSumptions. I was standing next to the dealers table, watched and heard the "couple" pointing and discussing the weapon purchase and then observed the "plan" play out. I was not "stalking" anybody. I get paid to be observant at my job and by being observant I made it through being a Grunt for 21 years and 3 years as a contractor in Iraq. When something doesn't seem "right" I pay attention.
    BTW, I stated in the beginning it was clearly a straw purchase but others decided that maybe it wasn't. My question was based on observing an obvious straw purchase- what would you do and that has been answered by the replies. I had no "plan" for the thread and honestly it has met my expectations. As to hurt feelings, don't flatter yourself.

Bob

I did not see anything in your first post about hearing a plan?Based just on your first post I can say my wife and I have done the exact same thing,and it was not a straw purchase.I think more details are needed in your story.What you describe in your first post is very limited in details.Like I said earlier at the 1500 my wife saw a pistol she liked.She handled it asked a few questions ect.Then we spent another 2 hours at the show,and she really wanted that pistol.When we went back to the table I looked at the pistol,she did not look at it again.She sat down and filled out the paper work.I handed her cash to pay(as stated she does not carry a purse in a crowd).It matches your description(other than me not hip firing lol)in the first post of what you saw as a straw purchase.

Now with details emerging about over hearing a "plan"(still not enough detail though),it may change my opinion.I do not think you will find anyone on this forum who supports straw purchases,but also few reading your initial post would consider it a straw purchase.You did not post enough details and just stating it was an obvious straw purchase is not enough.If you want to accuse someone of a crime then details should and need to be provided.If it was theoretical it would be different,but you are stating it as an event that happened.Give a better detailed account of what happened and you will probably get a much different response from people here.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

The problem is a larger one than the OP has illustrated.

For the record I want to go back to the days that Lex has shown with that picture, although I am somewhat tempted to take a hammer to the guy that Bubba'd the Lee Enfield!:xmad:

To get back on point there are many laws I don't agree with, some I do, and some that I think parts are OK and other parts need to go the way of the Dodo bird.

Whether or not I agree with the law I understand that it is only a part of a larger operating SYSTEM, and I truly do believe in that system. I believe in passing laws and enforcing them. If they are unjust laws then they must be challenged within the system! When challenged they will be struck down, eventually.

The system isn't perfect. The system gets it wrong sometimes, but the system works. It creates a playing field with rules that everyone can read and understand. It creates tools such as arrests, booking, trial and judgement. Each of these has rules that are open to every human being to read, follow, and lobby for changes, additions or the repeal thereof.

I understand the desire to say "not my problem" or "I don't agree with the law so I will ignore it." The issue is that if the law is truly unjust it needs to be challenged within the system. Only by doing so can true progress and defense of liberty be found! I am certain that many people in the District of Columbia possessed firearms for their own protection and other folks knew about it and said nothing. It wasn't until Heller that the law was openly challenged within the system and repealed. Later, in Chicago McDonald challenged the law and the system IS working to restore liberty in Chicago.

LEO's are often chastised for being "only a civilian." True. However, the door swings BOTH ways! We are all responsible for seeing that the laws are enforced. For heaven's sake this is one of the many reasons we support the right to keep and bear arms, to stop a criminal act, not just a violent one but an illegal act. If your neighbors are not at home - and you know it - what do you do if someone breaks into their home? Will it be "not my problem" or "I don't believe in ratting out the burglar because my neighbor should have a security system?" Does it matter if you like your neighbor or not?

I am not promoting a screaming match or violent confrontation, but a simple, polite question could get attention without being hostile. "Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice what was going on here. I presume everyone understands that a straw purchase could lead to severe repercussions?" Just someone speaking up politely could clarify for everyone what was taking place. The young lady might not understand the ramifications of her actions if indeed illegal, or it could indeed be for her and truly be a nonstarter.

Whether I agree with a law or not doesn't mean the responsibility is removed from me to politely engage in conversation to gently nudge people in the legal direction. Isn't this what we ask of LEO all time - politeness and courtesy?

Regards,

Doug

PS - I truly do want to get back to the days of ordering firearms and having them delivered to everyone, but we're not going to get there if the laws aren't challenged within the system.

PPS - I am a hypocrite on some things and do not live in an ivory tower. I am aware of this.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Did anyone talk to this woman? If not, how does anyone remotely even KNOW that she ISN'T the, "actual buyer of the firearm" in question? If that's the case, this is nothing more than 8 pages of speculation and bull :poop:.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Did I not make it clear that it was obviously a straw purchase?

No, you did not. How could you have if you didn't even speak to the person in question? The only thing you made clear was your assumption. Just because something takes place that YOU THINK is "obvious", doesn't make it certain. For the record my wife has done the exact same thing for me. And both of us are legal firearms owners. In short, you're assuming way too much here, without knowing ANY facts.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    Was it the guy wearing a wife beater and baggy jeans, accompanied by a pretty female pushing a stroller? They've been at every show I've been to............maybe he just doesn't have good handwriting skills. Next time maybe you could ask him , hey do you not have good handwriting or are you having her makes a straw purchase for you?

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Was it the guy wearing a wife beater and baggy jeans, accompanied by a pretty female pushing a stroller? They've been at every show I've been to............maybe he just doesn't have good handwriting skills. Next time maybe you could ask him , hey do you not have good handwriting or are you having her makes a straw purchase for you?

No. Just glare, fume, make assumptions, post on the internet with as few details as possible and then rant when people just don't get it.:rolleyes:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    If it was clearly a straw purchase and we should police ourselves then what did the police do after you told them about the obvious straw purchase? Have you talked to the ATF yet?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Methinks if this couple were middle aged and white, this thread wouldn't exist.

Top Bottom